Wiki Posts
Search

WARNING: Watch out for fuel re-charge scam at Avis

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
WARNING: Watch out for fuel re-charge scam at Avis

As a tourist from the UK, I hired a car from King Shaka Airport in Durban, South Africa last month, which I returned early morning on the due date.

I had refuelled the vehicle to a full tank in Durban on the previous evening, so it was returned to Avis with a virtually full tank. I paid for the fuel in cash, so do not have a receipt.

The operative in the airport checked the vehicle over, and said all was fine. I asked him if any paper work was required and he said it was not necessary. He even helped me and my pregnant wife to carry my bags to the check in desk.

I was very surprised therefore to be charged a refuelling cost and for a full tank of petrol when they emailed me my final invoice a few days ago.

I called Avis in the UK and got a very non-committal response from them saying they would revert in 10-15 working days. I can guess what their response will be.

Personal learning: take a photo of the final fuel gauge and keep the fuel receipt before dropping the car off.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I don't think this is specific to fuel and more specific to South Africa and Avis's operations there. I've had similar scams attempted with me (non-existent damage and claiming I returned late) so I wouldn't walk away from a South African car now without a piece of paper signing off the rental.

In my situation I ended up doing a chargeback as both Avis UK and SA refused to engage with the issue despite the overwhelming evidence against them.
Loren Pechtel and Franky16 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
I agree with above. South Africa operations for fuel are different from regular procedures from what I've read and seen. Hertz rental agreement even states that when returning a car with a fuel tank, you will still get hit with a "refueling surcharge" without paying for fuel. I believe Avis is similar as well.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nollag
As a tourist from the UK, I hired a car from King Shaka Airport in Durban, South Africa last month, which I returned early morning on the due date.

I had refuelled the vehicle to a full tank in Durban on the previous evening, so it was returned to Avis with a virtually full tank. I paid for the fuel in cash, so do not have a receipt.

The operative in the airport checked the vehicle over, and said all was fine. I asked him if any paper work was required and he said it was not necessary. He even helped me and my pregnant wife to carry my bags to the check in desk.

I was very surprised therefore to be charged a refuelling cost and for a full tank of petrol when they emailed me my final invoice a few days ago.

I called Avis in the UK and got a very non-committal response from them saying they would revert in 10-15 working days. I can guess what their response will be.

Personal learning: take a photo of the final fuel gauge and keep the fuel receipt before dropping the car off.
What does your rental contract say about fuel charges? If it says that you're going to be charged for a full tank of gas when you return the car, it doesn't matter whether you top off the tank, do or don't get a receipt (I don't know about South African gas stations, but I've certainly been able to get a receipt when paying cash at a gas station in the U.S.), or have a photo showing a full fuel tank at return.

If your rental agreement essentially requires you to purchase a tank of gas -- either at pick-up or at return -- there's obviously no point in topping off the tank.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I’ve rented on numerous occasions throughout South Africa, mainly at JNB, CPT and DUR from both Avis and Hertz and never had a problem. Fuel policy has always been “full to full” every time. I think pre-purchased fuel is available as an option but I always refuse it anyway. Maybe OP accepted without realising? Fuel stations all have pump attendants (no self-serve over there) and you can always ask for a receipt if they don’t bring one automatically regardless whether you pay with cash or card. When returning the vehicles I always make a point of showing the agent the fuel receipt and ask them whether they need a copy. They never do, but it means they know I’ve filled up and can prove it. I follow this approach worldwide anyway, not just in SA.

Side note: Avis at JNB has a key locker for Preffered members with a SA drivers licence. Scans the barcode on the licence, opens the corresponding locker with car key and paperwork inside and voila. Or so that’s what it appears from what I’ve witnessed. There’s no exit barrier from the parking lot so cars will never have keys inside them. I’ll be back there in a couple of weeks and will try remember to get a photo of the setup.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Avis RA states full to full, and the vehicle was returned with a full tank

My schoolboy error in not getting a fuel receipt. I guess I am too trusting
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nollag
This is SOP these days. And do a quick photograph of all four sides of the car when you return it.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
This is SOP these days. And do a quick photograph of all four sides of the car when you return it.
I did the external photos, but not the fuel gauge.

I would have expected more from a company like Avis than to stiff a customer like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I am South African and often rent cars in JNB for a day or two on work trips, I've never been hit with an additional fuel charge or fake damage claims. I also never use Avis or Hertz, because they're ridiculously overpriced and have massive queues, whereas Thrifty/Dollar or First Car Rental are usually more affordable, reliable and reputable. I think some of the anonymity of the global operations and franchise model of Avis/Hertz may cause less customer service and accountability.

I rented a car in JNB two weeks ago and noted the rental agreement specified that they refuel all vehicles, regardless of the fuel gauge, and if they need to refuel more than 3 litres they charge you for it, so perhaps that's what happened. Important to note that if you refuel just to the first click, there may be 1-2 litres of space still in the tank, and driving 10-15km could cause the overall space to be >3L. I generally refuel at the airport. Fuel prices in SA are regulated by law and identical in all locations so there is no risk of an airport surcharge or something like you might find in other countries where airport fuel stations charge more.

You get a receipt for a cash fuel purchase, too, you just need to ask for it.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue & IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz & Avis President's etc.
It's not specific to SA. I had the same issue with AVIS in San Diego. Fortunately (!), I have been charged for an empty fuel tank and 2 days of extra rental. As It was at the airport and I've taken a plane to go back home (France) it couldn't be me (I could prove it with my boarding pass and passprt stamp). In addition I had pictures of the fuel level (as well fo the miles count) showing that the scam has been done by an AVIS employee.
But I took me a year to get refund as french franchise of AVIS didn't have any informaiton on the progress, I have to fill a complain to get my money back..
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC/SAA VOYAGER
As a rule of thumb, I always refuel at the airport of departure, as most cities and airports have a fair distance between them. I don’t believe this to be a “scam”
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:38 am
Original Poster

I have spoken with my credit card company, and it looks like I can claim the overcharge back through UK consumer legislation:
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...mer-credit-act

There may be similar laws in other countries to protect consumers from such a scam.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue & IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz & Avis President's etc.
Originally Posted by FlyingRhino
As a rule of thumb, I always refuel at the airport of departure, as most cities and airports have a fair distance between them. I don’t believe this to be a “scam”
Well I don't know how you call it, but I have been charged $500 for:

Extra 3 days
Late return fee
Refuelling fee

While I was back in Paris
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pasdawan

Extra 3 days
Late return fee
Refuelling fee

If it looks like a scam, and it smells like a scam ... its probably a scam.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Pasdawan

Extra 3 days
Late return fee
Refuelling fee

Sure but I think FlyingRhino was responding to the OP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.