Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WARNING: Watch out for fuel re-charge scam at Avis

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors Diamond, BonVoy Gold, AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club, BA EC, AS MVP
Airport fuel prices CPT

Most airport fuel stations charge higher fuel prices than local stations.

The good news is that CPT fuel prices have been the LOWEST in the region. So it is really convenient to fill there.

I have been offered two fuel choices at CPT when renting:. Full to full and bring it back empty where they fill on return and charge a reduced rate. Perhaps Avis snuck this option by the renter. Thus the fill cost (bogus).
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Azamaraal
Most airport fuel stations charge higher fuel prices than local stations.

The good news is that CPT fuel prices have been the LOWEST in the region. So it is really convenient to fill there.

I have been offered two fuel choices at CPT when renting:. Full to full and bring it back empty where they fill on return and charge a reduced rate. Perhaps Avis snuck this option by the renter. Thus the fill cost (bogus).
Just to clarify - in South Africa fuel prices are government regulated and if there's a change it happens at midnight on Tuesday (going on Wednesday). There are two "zones" in the country with different prices, coastal and inland, because the cost of transporting fuel to inland provinces so there's a small mark-up. CPT is naturally coastal. Prices are identical (to the cent) at every petrol station in SA. I have in the past found some local (large) rental companies such as First will refuel for no fee at the actual rate, they tell you it's ok to bring the car back not refilled, they top it up and pass on the cost with no mark up.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by nollag
Avis RA states full to full, and the vehicle was returned with a full tank

My schoolboy error in not getting a fuel receipt. I guess I am too trusting
This is more a case of doing some research on Avis SA policies beforehand. You would've paid the fuel fees even if you returned the tank empty. From what I recall when talking to the avis team there, there are 2 levels of fees (if you return tank half-full or more vs half-full or less).

And its not a scam per se, its just their policy. So if you knew that policy you simply could've not bothered to fill in the tank and come out ahead (their fuel fees isn't exorbitant)
supermoto1 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
On a recent Hertz rental in Brussels they had the fuel charge option on the contract, even though I always refuse and return the car full. I didn't notice this until returning the car, but the agent told me they do that on all rentals and simply delete the charge if you return the vehicle full, which was done. I guess the advice is to look over rental contracts when renting outside of your normal area.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:12 pm

I recently returned a car to AVIS at FLL, the gas gauge showed as FULL, but the return agent said his handheld said the car was down 2 gallons of gas, I said but the gas gauge shows as full, he did not care one iota and said it is what my computer says, not anything. He added 19.98 to my bill and only after speaking with manager was the added gas amount removed as a one-time favor.

I was told by the Manager that many AVIS cars report the amount of the fuel in the tank to the computer system and I am quoting here, "the fuel gauge is no longer the measure by which AVIS is determining if the car is fully fueled or not."

Just a warning.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmersh
I recently returned a car to AVIS at FLL, the gas gauge showed as FULL, but the return agent said his handheld said the car was down 2 gallons of gas, I said but the gas gauge shows as full, he did not care one iota and said it is what my computer says, not anything. He added 19.98 to my bill and only after speaking with manager was the added gas amount removed as a one-time favor.

I was told by the Manager that many AVIS cars report the amount of the fuel in the tank to the computer system and I am quoting here, "the fuel gauge is no longer the measure by which AVIS is determining if the car is fully fueled or not."

Just a warning.
Guess I'll fill it till it spills onto the paint job from now on. That should prove it's full.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:49 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by kmersh

Just a warning.
Use the app and (for most newer cars) it will show the fuel to 0.1 gallons. From what I've seen, a difference of 0.3 gallons will allow no charge. But over that, and they'll charge you per gallon. However, if the gauges are not calibrated by the division of weights/measures of a state (like grocery store scales, gas pumps, etc), I don't see how it's legal to use it for charges. If I get hit with it and filled up <10 miles from a station, I'd fight it.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Apr 19, 2019 at 12:05 pm
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Use the app and (for most newer cars) it will show the fuel to 0.1 gallons. From what I've seen, a difference of 0.3 gallons will allow no charge. But over that, and they'll charge you per gallon. However, if the gauges are not calibrated by the division of weights/measures of a state (like Al grocery store scales, gas pumps, etc), I don't see how it's legal to use it for charges. If I get hit with it and filled up <10 miles from a station, I'd fight it.
The app does not work on my phone (Pixel 2XL running Android Pie) just opens and does nothing, so I guess it is fill it up till it spills onto the paint from now on.

Last edited by kmersh; Apr 19, 2019 at 12:55 pm
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:07 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Ok I've finally changed my mind and believe the fuel thing is nothing short of a scam. Case in point from this week:

Pickup 1:
Car A
Fuel out: 17.3 gallons according to the app. Gauge showed full but dropped down within 5 miles of pickup.
Fuel back: 18.4 gallons according to the app while I had the vehicle in the return lot. I have the screen grab as proof from within 3 minutes of the return time. Upon check-in, the paperwork shows the return fuel of 0.0 gallons and “8/8 Full”. Note I filled up within 1 mile of the return station.

Pickup 2:
Car A (same as the first rental. I returned and immediately re-rented)
Fuel out: 18.4 gallons
Fuel back: 18.4 gallons. Unlike the prior rental, when the gas reading isn’t in their favor, they don’t zero it out.

So on rental #1, they knew there was more fuel than when rented, yet no credit was given and the receipt zeroed out the fuel gauge. However, if it’s the other way around (which I’ve been hit with), they
gladly charge you their refueling fee. Ridiculous!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Ok I've finally changed my mind and believe the fuel thing is nothing short of a scam. Case in point from this week:

Pickup 1:
Car A
Fuel out: 17.3 gallons according to the app. Gauge showed full but dropped down within 5 miles of pickup.
Fuel back: 18.4 gallons according to the app while I had the vehicle in the return lot. I have the screen grab as proof from within 3 minutes of the return time. Upon check-in, the paperwork shows the return fuel of 0.0 gallons and “8/8 Full”. Note I filled up within 1 mile of the return station.

Pickup 2:
Car A (same as the first rental. I returned and immediately re-rented)
Fuel out: 18.4 gallons
Fuel back: 18.4 gallons. Unlike the prior rental, when the gas reading isn’t in their favor, they don’t zero it out.

So on rental #1, they knew there was more fuel than when rented, yet no credit was given and the receipt zeroed out the fuel gauge. However, if it’s the other way around (which I’ve been hit with), they
gladly charge you their refueling fee. Ridiculous!
I am still livid about the gauge as showing full, but being charged because their computer did not show it as being full. With that said I have never received credit for bringing the car back with more gas than when it left.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:12 pm

This has been happening in the US. Warned a woman on the bus to airport and she said she was charged for gas but had to get to the airport
Old May 1, 2019, 6:40 am

Happened again yesterday, I filled it up 10 miles from the airport (car is EPA rated for 30 miles to the gallon of gas) because there are two gas stations near the airport that are both almost a dollar more than anywhere else, I topped it off till gas sloshed out of the tank and dripped down the paint and that gauge read full upon return, the agent still tried to charge me for the tank being at 17.8 instead of 18.0.

I went to the counter and they did take it off, but it should not be this way, if the gauge reads full than the car is full, there have been plenty of times when I have rented a car, the gauge reads full and just after leaving the lot, it drops to below full, that is just part of renting a car.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:54 am

just get a receipt when refueling (yes you can get one when paying with cash), problem solved.
supermoto1 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by bagwell
just get a receipt when refueling (yes you can get one when paying with cash), problem solved.
I always do, in fact last time around I showed the return agent the gas receipt and he said, it does not matter that I have a receipt, if his computer says it is down fuel, it is down fuel, simple as that.

Happened to my wife yesterday and she complained to the manager showing her gas receipt, he did take off the charge and said that his policy is that if a customer complains he removes the charge, but he could not promise that all managers would follow the same policy (even at the same station).
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:06 am

What app are hey talking about that checks gas levels??

Is this only with Avis??
supermoto1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.