AVIS etoll charges? How to avoid it?

Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:49 am
Original Poster

AVIS etoll charges? How to avoid it?

I see this in my Avis reservation.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Avoid express lanes in San Diego and you are fine. Same goes for Los Angeles area. Express lanes are cashless and billed electronically.

Use cash booths for bridges in the Bay Area. Prepay for Golden Gate as that bridge is cashless too.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
  • Some of the express lanes in San Diego County are free if you have 2+ people. (I-15 express lanes) (511sd.com)
  • Set your GPS to “avoid toll roads.”
  • Avoid State Route 125 ( South Bay Expressway 511sd.com)
  • Close the windshield transponder, if so equipped.
  • If you end up on “The Toll Roads of Orange County,” (73, 133, 241, 261) pay online within 5 days so they don’t bill Avis. (www.thetollroads.com)

You should be fine.
KRSW likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
The express lanes will only be free with Fastrak Flex which allows you to set the number of people in your car. As far as I know, Avis does not offer Fastrak Flex.

Even if you have 2+ people, you will still be charged the toll if you do not have Fastrak Flex.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kxc262
The express lanes will only be free with Fastrak Flex which allows you to set the number of people in your car. As far as I know, Avis does not offer Fastrak Flex.

Even if you have 2+ people, you will still be charged the toll if you do not have Fastrak Flex.
I don’t believe this is true for the I-15 Express Lanes in San Diego County. From How to use the I-15 Express Lanes

• Carpools, vanpools, transit, clean air vehicles, and motorcycles are always FREE on the I-15 Express Lanes.
    • As long as two or more occupants are in your car, you can enjoy the time-saving benefits of the I-15 Express Lanes at no cost. An occupant is defined as any person who occupies a safety restraint device. Visit 511sd.com/iCommute to learn more about ridesharing options. If you are a FasTrak customer, remove the transponder from your windshield and place it in the Mylar bag provided when you opened your account to ensure you aren’t charged the toll.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There are lots of toll roads in SoCal. Some of them are cashless. Unless you know for certain your planned routes avoid all of them you might well find value in the ePass system.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
I'll hijack this this thread; AVIS states
"Under the e-Toll program, once you pass through an electronic toll, you will pay a convenience fee of $3.95 for each day of the entire rental period, including any days on which e-Toll is not used, up to a maximum of $19.75 per rental month, plus incurred tolls at the maximum prevailing rates posted by the toll authority"

on the sam page further down;

"When a renter utilizes these lanes, the toll system identifies the car and charges the standard cash fee for toll roads as published by the toll authority, plus the convenience fee of $3.95 per day ($19.75 maximum per month)."

In the first section it says "up to a maximum of $19.75 per rental month" and in the second section it says "$19.75 maximum per month".
How should I intrepid this; for example, I rent a car from December 18 and return the car 6th of January; my rental period is 19 days, as I understand within a rental month but stretches over twocalendar month. Would I en up paying $19.75 or $19,75 x2?

EK
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Bronze, AVIS Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Erikderek_SWE
I'll hijack this this thread; AVIS states
"Under the e-Toll program, once you pass through an electronic toll, you will pay a convenience fee of $3.95 for each day of the entire rental period, including any days on which e-Toll is not used, up to a maximum of $19.75 per rental month, plus incurred tolls at the maximum prevailing rates posted by the toll authority"

on the sam page further down;

"When a renter utilizes these lanes, the toll system identifies the car and charges the standard cash fee for toll roads as published by the toll authority, plus the convenience fee of $3.95 per day ($19.75 maximum per month)."

In the first section it says "up to a maximum of $19.75 per rental month" and in the second section it says "$19.75 maximum per month".
How should I intrepid this; for example, I rent a car from December 18 and return the car 6th of January; my rental period is 19 days, as I understand within a rental month but stretches over twocalendar month. Would I en up paying $19.75 or $19,75 x2?

EK
You would pay only $19.75, as your rent periode is shorter than a month (30 days).
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Maze13
You would pay only $19.75, as your rent periode is shorter than a month (30 days).
Thanks.
[Thinking out loud]; makes more sense to opt in since it's only an overhead cost of $1 day + toll and the convenience of not have to stop and pay toll. I'll be driving in the Orlando and the Broward-Dade areas so a lot of cash only toll especially, south of Broward and along the Turnpike + express extensions.

EK
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:35 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

[Thinking out loud]; makes more sense to opt in since it's only an overhead cost of $1 day + toll and the convenience of not have to stop and pay toll
That's assuming the toll roads are used daily. If one is to only use the toll road a couple times on long rentals, the fee is quite absurd. If only the toll were only charged on the day(s) the transponder was used.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
[Thinking out loud]; makes more sense to opt in since it's only an overhead cost of $1 day + toll and the convenience of not have to stop and pay toll.
You don't have to opt-in as such - simply going through a toll that gets charged to Avis results in you being charged.

Whether it's a good deal or not depends entirely on how much you use it. For example, in the SF Bay area, a lot of tourists will rent a car for a week or more, but only use a single toll - the Golden Gate Bridge (the only non-cash toll road in the bay area), so they end up paying $8 for the toll, and ~$20 for the fee, which is obviously fairly significant.

After being sued over this more than once, Hertz have changed their pricing to only charge on the (calendar) days that you actually use a toll, but got rid of the cap. Good for the occasional toll users, less good for the long-rental-tolls-every-day renters.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by kxc262

Yes, this happened to me also. I think I received a violation for the offense of driving in the car pool lane without a Fastrak device or something. And in California, you cannot pay your toll online if the car is a rental. So I was once charged a big fee for a $2 toll. Cali is one big corrupt place!

But I sent the rental company an email saying I had 4 people in the car and I never heard from them again. Maybe I have a warrant out for my arrest in Cali for an unpaid ticket. I never could get closure on the issue.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by KimchiExpress
And in California, you cannot pay your toll online if the car is a rental. So I was once charged a big fee for a $2 toll. Cali is one big corrupt place!
In terms of paying the toll online in California, it really depends. On some of the ones in SoCal (261/241/73), if you go online with the plate info and had the rental Fastrak closed, you might be able to pay the right amount without surcharge within 48 hours and before it hits the rental agency. It is YMMV.

The good news is except for the bridges in NoCal, you should be able to avoid almost all toll roads in California so far because there are free lines right next to them. This is not true in some places of Florida, Texas, Massachusetts, etc.

Also, I found a few states do allow you to skip the rental car agency's toll system. This worked very well in New York.
Open Tolling/Cashless Tolls options for rentals to avoid extra daily service fees

Rasheed
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by docbert
You don't have to opt-in as such - simply going through a toll that gets charged to Avis results in you being charged.

Whether it's a good deal or not depends entirely on how much you use it. For example, in the SF Bay area, a lot of tourists will rent a car for a week or more, but only use a single toll - the Golden Gate Bridge (the only non-cash toll road in the bay area), so they end up paying $8 for the toll, and ~$20 for the fee, which is obviously fairly significant.

After being sued over this more than once, Hertz have changed their pricing to only charge on the (calendar) days that you actually use a toll, but got rid of the cap. Good for the occasional toll users, less good for the long-rental-tolls-every-day renters.
Thx. I'll be driving a lot in Orlando and the Broward-Dade area as well on the Turnpike so I will add on my share part of tolls, but as you said it all depends on the number of tolls passages (or days of toll passages).
You are right adopt the "opt-in" the leveler on the transponder is default ON if I recall correctly from my last rental in Florida back in 2017.

EK
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
In Virgina we have "EZ-Pass." EZ Pass allows one to register multiple vehicles per account. When renting, I simply add the rental vehicle info to the list of vehicles in my EZPass account and then use the transponder as normal. When the rental is over I am sure to take my transponder but I leave the rental vehicle in my list of vehicles for about 60 days after the end of the rental. That way, if any charges do come in I can dispute them. Took only one $3 toll with I think it was a $13 service charge from Enterprise to learn this lesson.

Last edited by Section 107; Jan 16, 2019 at 7:41 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.