Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WARNING: Watch out for mileage charges

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
WARNING: Watch out for mileage charges

Rented a car this week using the same wizard number and AWD code as always. Rate was the same as always. Total estimated charges were as expected. When arriving at the airport I had to get a contract from the counter (very unusual for me) the car wasn’t waiting. Upon arrival at my destination I looked more closely at the printed page to discover that the rate did NOT include unlimited mileage. I booked it with the app and didn’t recall seeing anything about a mileage charge. Guess this is Avis’ way of saying Merry Christmas. Not sure if it’s a one off odd-ball occurrence or an attempt at increasing prices without increasing the base rate ala bag fees, seat fees, resort charges, etc.

Anyone else encountered this?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:59 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

What did your original confirmation email show? Was it a one-way rental?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:40 am

Got hit with a $6400 mileage charge this month, all they would do is give me 50% back, I escalated this with my credit card to be charged back.. The original agreement was unlimited mileage.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:11 pm

Why didn't you notice and call them out on the mileage charge once you picked up the contract at the counter? That would have been the time and place to prevent the issue from occurring. And possibly cancel to take this one-way business to somebody else if they refuse to budge.

Chargebacks have often resulted in the renter being placed on the Do Not Rent list. You may not care, but this could be a problem for booking through opaque sites, as well as affiliated companies like Zipcar. If you have a corporate travel desk, it could be time to get them involved.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did your contract provide?

If the contract provided for a mileage charge and you have initiated a chargeback, you will lose. But, if you prevail, you will likely wind up on their DNR list until you pay up and at that point they may want the entire $6,400.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:21 am

The agreement and the receipt show Unlimited mileage yet I was still charged, when asked to remove the charge they refused - it would be a valid chargeback.

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Why didn't you notice and call them out on the mileage charge once you picked up the contract at the counter? That would have been the time and place to prevent the issue from occurring. And possibly cancel to take this one-way business to somebody else if they refuse to budge.

Chargebacks have often resulted in the renter being placed on the Do Not Rent list. You may not care, but this could be a problem for booking through opaque sites, as well as affiliated companies like Zipcar. If you have a corporate travel desk, it could be time to get them involved.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:22 am

The contract showed Unlimited mileage and so did the receipt, there’s no need to charge me $6400 for mileage that should have been included.

Originally Posted by Often1
What did your contract provide?

If the contract provided for a mileage charge and you have initiated a chargeback, you will lose. But, if you prevail, you will likely wind up on their DNR list until you pay up and at that point they may want the entire $6,400.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by rtch92
The contract showed Unlimited mileage and so did the receipt, there’s no need to charge me $6400 for mileage that should have been included.

Something doesn't add up here. If the contract showed unlimited mileage, on what basis did they charge you $6,400? What did they say when you called/emailed them? If you had documented proof that unlimited mileage was included then you should have paid $0. The only way I could see you coming up with a 50% settlement with them is if maybe it wasn't actually unlimited mileage and you didn't notice or something and they agreed to cut you a break. There appears to be a piece missing to this story because at least if it were me, there is no way I would have agreed to pay anything at all if I had documented proof that a mistake was made.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Something doesn't add up here. If the contract showed unlimited mileage, on what basis did they charge you $6,400? What did they say when you called/emailed them? If you had documented proof that unlimited mileage was included then you should have paid $0. The only way I could see you coming up with a 50% settlement with them is if maybe it wasn't actually unlimited mileage and you didn't notice or something and they agreed to cut you a break. There appears to be a piece missing to this story because at least if it were me, there is no way I would have agreed to pay anything at all if I had documented proof that a mistake was made.

Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:19 am

Looking at the receipt it shows a charge of $3263 for mileage, $3263 again underneath it for same mileage.

Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:23 am

I would escalate that to the highest levels at Avis to avoid paying anything at all and being put on the DNR list. Something is very wrong there, and if your documentation is accurate, Avis owes you $3263, an apology, and probably also some additional compensation for your trouble. I would use the contacts on this page to start escalating.
Auto Enthusiast, rtch92 and m907 like this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:18 am

I’ll try again through this method.. I agree it’s not right, and was settling with 50%.

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
I would escalate that to the highest levels at Avis to avoid paying anything at all and being put on the DNR list. Something is very wrong there, and if your documentation is accurate, Avis owes you $3263, an apology, and probably also some additional compensation for your trouble. I would use the contacts on this page to start escalating.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:24 am

I’ll try again through this method.. I agree it’s not right, and was settling with 50%.

Don't settle. Keep pushing. Unless there were some intervening factors that were not discussed here, you are 100% in the right. If it were me, I'd even take it as far as small claims court for that much money, but hopefully, that won't be necessary. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:25 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Did you meet the terms of the original agreement (pickup/return location/time)? I've never seen it say "unlimited mileage" but still charge. If you met all the original terms, definitely worth a call to any/all of the following: corporate, your travel manager (if it was a business trip), your credit card, the local news station, etc.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While the words "unlimited mileage" clearly appear, is there any contract language which limits that? Was there any language used at return in your discussion at the return as to how the charge was calculated and why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.