Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renting a car for long distance drive ski trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Renting a car for long distance drive ski trip

I'm thinking of renting a car to go on a ski trip in Colorado (prob keystone) coming from Houston, TTX. My gf and I are driving yinste of flying so we can bring our dog. I know when u rent from Denver they include ice scrapers and can request awd or 4x4 easily as well as tire chains but I'm assuming IAH wouldn't have any winter gear readily available right? The best I can hope for is asking for a AWD drive but I'm gonna assume with all season tires.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:28 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Even when renting from DEN, a 4WD/AWD vehicle is not always guaranteed. You probably have a better chance of getting one from DEN, but if you rent from a major airport like IAH or HOU and rent a Standard SUV or higher, there's a good chance they will accommodate you if they have one available. You could also make a backup reservation at another major rental company to hedge your bets.

Keep in mind that even in DEN, you will generally get a vehicle with all-season tires and there is no option for snow chains. More info can be found in our blog here and here.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Even when renting from DEN, a 4WD/AWD vehicle is not always guaranteed. You probably have a better chance of getting one from DEN, but if you rent from a major airport like IAH or HOU and rent a Standard SUV or higher, there's a good chance they will accommodate you if they have one available. You could also make a backup reservation at another major rental company to hedge your bets.

Keep in mind that even in DEN, you will generally get a vehicle with all-season tires and there is no option for snow chains. More info can be found in our blog here and here.
These.holiday season rates are ridiculous for SUVs. I was thinking of booking a full size and hoping my preferred plus gets me at least a midsize SUV as I usually get upgrades when I rent for business.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:12 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by LReyes66
These.holiday season rates are ridiculous for SUVs. I was thinking of booking a full size and hoping my preferred plus gets me at least a midsize SUV as I usually get upgrades when I rent for business.
You're about a month late if you're trying to book a decent deal for the holidays. In many markets, anything larger than an Intermediate SUV is already sold out. As far as status goes, even during a non-holiday period, upgrades from a car to an SUV are never guaranteed. During the holidays, I wouldn't count on any upgrades since many locations will be entirely sold out in the next week or two.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:10 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If you're driving to the mountains, reserve what you need. Hope is not a plan.
IAHtraveler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.