Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD (chicago) rental car mess - new place is a joke

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

ORD (chicago) rental car mess - new place is a joke

So I flew in september and they had the same old rental office with Avis branded buses. I then flew Nov 4th.
I waited 30 minutes for an AVIS bus and it never arrived. There where these white "Ohare Terminal" buses that were going by. Finally I ask one of the drivers where the Avis rental car bus was.
He said his bus will take me there. I figured what the hell, might as well give it a try.

I get on and instead of going to the normal Avis office it drives for 15 minutes through 3 stop lights to what looks like a large parking garage. Apparently, they moved all the rental car companies to a new building that takes 3 times as long to get to. But they forgot to tell anyone. They had NO sign at the rental car pickup spot telling you to take these white buses instead of the normal branded buses.
On my avis prepaid reservation it still listed the old address and said nothing about a new location or taking a white terminal bus.
Literally, not one person at AVIS felt the need to print out a damn sign, laminate it, and hang it up at the rental car pickup spot to tell you to take the white terminal bus and that their location moved. That was pathetic.

Anyways, getting a rental car in ORD today and they actually sent this email. Why they did not do this before is insane.

Our location has recently moved to Chicago O'Hare Airport's new Multi-Modal Facility at 10255 West Zemke Boulevard, Chicago, IL 60666, which is approximately 1.3 miles north of our previous location.

IF YOU ARE ARRIVING BY AIRLINE:
- Please follow the signs to Lower Level (Baggage Claim) and then to the third curb for the shuttle bus service.
- The digital display on the consolidated Rental Car Shuttle Bus will show 'Rental Cars/Parking Lot F'.
- Each terminal has designated areas for drop-off and pick-up.
- The shuttle bus will take you to our rental location where you will be able to pick-up your vehicle.
This new rental car building is horrible and lacks signs inside. It says avis preferred take the escalator. You take the escalator and then there are no more signs. Around the corner there is an avis worker standing there saying he knows the signs are crap and for me to get into this elevator to go to preferred. He stands there because he knows people go the wrong way. Apparently there is another escalator you are supposed to take.

When I returned my car they have .... signs also. I pull into the avis and turn into the first open lane. No one is there. I walk over and find a worker and he says I am supposed to drive all the way to the end and that someone screwed up by not blocking that lane. Again ZERO signs telling you this. Apparently no one at avis has a printer.

Either way, I am looking into those 3rd party rental services like Turo. I think it will be faster then to go to this crappy rental building.
At this point there is zero difference from all the normal rental car companies, they are all in the same ...... building. 1st they ruined renting cars at MDW and now ORD.

Also with this new crappy rental car building and consolidation I did not see prices go down. If they are not running their own buses then the prices should be cheaper.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:54 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by COMMONC3NTS
Also with this new crappy rental car building and consolidation I did not see prices go down. If they are not running their own buses then the prices should be cheaper.
Hah, good luck with that. Most places that put in a consolidated garage charge an extra fee for the construction of the new garage and/or the transportation to get there. Not saying it should be that way, but that's how it seems to work out.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:08 pm

I'm impressed that you were able to rent a car from the new consolidated rental car center three days before it opened.

Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:16 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
I'm impressed that you were able to rent a car from the new consolidated rental car center three days before it opened.

There "ceremonial" opening was 11/7 but it actually started servicing customers the previous week.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
The airport is responsible for the signage, don't blame the rental agency. As for the length of time, there have been some recent increase of traffic to/from ORD and the city is trying to do its best to minimize it, unfortunately it appears to me that they have not been able to find a good way to handle this. Uber/1Lyft drivers have reported that it takes them almost 20 minutes to get to the terminal once they leave the TNP lot to pick up a passenger.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
There "ceremonial" opening was 11/7 but it actually started servicing customers the previous week.
OK, so OP was there the fifth day it was open. I don't think these lingering teething problems are unreasonable.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:48 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
OK, so OP was there the fifth day it was open. I don't think these lingering teething problems are unreasonable.
I'd disagree. With as much volume as this place sees, they need to have proper signage up before they open it. I'd even suggest signs weeks/months in advance stating the upcoming move to ensure a smooth transition.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The airport has been charging an $8/day-ish charge for close to a decade to pay for this facility. No way they'll stop charging that to "maintain" it.

I'm looking at a long-weekend rental as I have to fly home for a couple of days and the rental car isn't much more expensive than two taxicabs. But the taxes and fees are over 55% of the total rental price.

Eventually the multi-airline bus will be replaced by an extension of the monorail from Lot E, which will be much more convenient. That extension is still being built. The long-term reduction in bus traffic is the major benefit of the project, and then they can reutlize the previous rental car lots for more passenger car parking or other uses.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had my first experience there this week. While the bus was painful, it is only temporary. I hope the improved train will be reliable.

I definitely like the fact I don't have to drag my suit cases through that confusing parking lot in snow and rain.

As far as the signs, I think they (Airport/City) should have put up bigger signs of the facility better - for example, which end to go for different companies' fast/preferred guests.

In the Avis lot, I love how clear the signs are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.