Rates on Avis app greatly discounted?

Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Rates on Avis app greatly discounted?

I'm afraid to give location details for fear of jinxing this but: I forgot to rent a car for my week in Florida beginning this Saturday! Go to the Avis website, but even with my usual good corporate rates and "lowest rate", can't get a full size car for less than $1700 (???). Go to book via the United Airline rental.com site, and get it down to $625, prepaid. That's not bad, but I don't like Hertz, so I try the Avis app and get the full size car for ... $231. I double checked all the details (pickup/dropoff location and dates, unlimited mileage, etc. etc.), turned the T&C inside and out, and don't see anything squirrelly. Is such a disparity common when using the app? This is the first time I have used it for reserving rather than just selecting the car as I arrive.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Bronze, AVIS Preferred Plus
I have booked quite a few cars with avis in the last 8 month, with and without the app. I have never seen any discrepancy so far. It looks like an error on the webpage for me. The only time when I see a difference that big is when I compare the avis.com site with avis.de, the german webpage.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
I did once book on the website at Verona and had paid around 300 Euros for a 3 day hire of a VW Golf during a busy trade fair. I went back into the app a few days later to look at booking a bigger car and found all the prices had dropped and I upgraded to a BMW 3 series estate and got a credit note for 100 Euros!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.