Ride Report: 2018 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis PP, National EE, Hertz PC
Ride Report: 2018 Toyota Prius

Car Class: Specialty Hybrid
Availability: Avis
Alternatives: Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid, Ford Fusion Hybrid, Hyundai Ionic, Kia Niro, Toyota Camry Hybrid, Toyota Prius V

Engine: 1.8L 4-cylinder engine with a electric motor producing 121 horsepower and an undisclosed lb-ft of torque
Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km (~52.2 mpg)

Drive off
Amazing fuel economy
Silent cabin when running in pure EV mode (for very short distances)
Cargo practicality owing to its liftback design

Walk away
Road noise at higher speeds
No Android Auto or Apple Carplay
Awkward rearward visibility due to the split window design

Select Features
6.1-inch Entune infotainment system with 1 USB port
Single-zone automatic climate control with Eco mode
Proximity key with push button start
Heated 8-way manually adjustable driver seat
LED headlights
Toyota Safety Sense-P (autonomous emergency braking, automatic high beams, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control)

Impressions
If you are looking to save gas on your next rental, the Prius remains hard to beat. While we hoped for a higher trim with more comfort and convenience features, the availability of adaptive cruise control certainly took a lot of stress out of highway cruising. The lack of any smartphone connectivity is a huge boo-boo in 2018, but given that Toyota has finally introduced Apple Carplay on its most recent models, its just a matter of time before we see it appear in the Prius lineup.

For more details on my experience with the Toyota Prius rental, see my blog post below.
https://carfession.com/2018/10/25/2018-toyota-prius/

Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:29 pm

I haven't seen a rental Prius in awhile. Was this at an airport or a smaller location?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis PP, National EE, Hertz PC
I picked this one up at Ottawa airport. As I mainly rent in Canada, I have seen the Prius at airport locations in Toronto and Calgary. Not sure about the States though.

Last edited by XC60; Oct 27, 2018 at 7:13 am
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by XC60
I picked this one up at Ottawa airport. As I mainly rent in Canada, I have seen the Prius at airport locations in Toronto and Calgary. Not sure about the States though.
They seem to have vanished from rental fleets here. Replaced by the Fusion Hybrid which is quite nice in Titanium trim but less so in SE trim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.