Wiki Posts
Search

Obligatory CDW at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAAdvantage, Delta
Obligatory CDW at LHR

Just tried to book a car from Avis at LHR in July 2019. Priced included CDW which you could not decline. Queried with Avis and they said it was obligatory at LHR. Did not have to pay it this year when I rented there. My credit card covers insurance if you decline CDW,
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:44 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

It's probably because you are booking at the UK site. Book at the US site (set home country as US) and/or use the link below to get a quote from AutoSlash as our rates do not include CDW.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:41 am

A reminder that rental companies in Europe won't deal with credit card insurers. If you rely on that cover and you do suffer an incident, they'll charge you (no matter who was at fault) and then it's down to you to sort out repayment with your card issuer.
I use my amex platinum to cover the excess, but I always take the rates with basic insurance. (UK based).
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:21 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
A reminder that rental companies in Europe won't deal with credit card insurers. If you rely on that cover and you do suffer an incident, they'll charge you (no matter who was at fault) and then it's down to you to sort out repayment with your card issuer.
I use my amex platinum to cover the excess, but I always take the rates with basic insurance. (UK based).
That's not uncommon even in the US and elsewhere. The rental company wants to make sure they get paid, and not having to file a claim is yet another argument they use to convince you to take their CDW.
IAHtraveler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.