booking as a foreign resident when I'm not

Old Aug 13, 18, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, HU Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Best Western Plat Diamond, Accor Silver
booking as a foreign resident when I'm not

I'm looking to rent a compact in Vancouver for a week this month, I'm just shocked to find out there's a huge difference in pricing with the residency in different countries. In the past, I've noticed a small difference, but this is beyond ridiculous.

Canada: $667
US: $555
UK: $773
Ireland: $388
Gibraltar: $1,140
Australia: $565
New Zealand: $565
South Africa: $438
Japan $410
North Korea: $565

I've noticed some countries include all insurance (e.g. Japan), while others cost extra (e.g. N. Korea).

I'm a local resident with a local license. Naturally, I'm tempted to book as a resident in Ireland. I can't find any policy requiring showing the proof of residency. I hear some people say they book with a different residency all the time, never had any issues. How picky are they? Do they even notice that we book with a different residency?

I've also noticed, when I tried booking as a resident in Japan and N. Korea, they don't list taxes and fees on final page. Does anybody know if they waive taxes and fees for some reasons (system error, some kind of special tax treatment, etc)? Or they add them at check out / return?

Edit: After a little more digging, by using the discount code from the sticky thread, it brings the rate cheapest at $313, taxes and fees included. I've played around with different residencies, it makes no difference.

Last edited by maverikbc; Aug 14, 18 at 12:30 am
Old Aug 14, 18, 4:17 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by maverikbc View Post
I'm a local resident with a local license. Naturally, I'm tempted to book as a resident in Ireland. I can't find any policy requiring showing the proof of residency. I hear some people say they book with a different residency all the time, never had any issues. How picky are they? Do they even notice that we book with a different residency?
My only caution would be that it's considered fraud to intentionally book something you're not eligible for. If there's an accident, they could then require your proof of eligibility for the rate you booked (discount code, country of residence, etc) that would negate all coverages if you're unable to produce said documents. So I can't answer your specific questions, but that risk is only one that the renter can decide if it's worth it or not.

Originally Posted by maverikbc View Post
Edit: After a little more digging, by using the discount code from the sticky thread, it brings the rate cheapest at $313, taxes and fees included. I've played around with different residencies, it makes no difference.
Which code are you referring to as the discount code that country of origin doesn't affect price at all?
Old Aug 14, 18, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, HU Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Best Western Plat Diamond, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
My only caution would be that it's considered fraud to intentionally book something you're not eligible for. If there's an accident, they could then require your proof of eligibility for the rate you booked (discount code, country of residence, etc) that would negate all coverages if you're unable to produce said documents. So I can't answer your specific questions, but that risk is only one that the renter can decide if it's worth it or not.

Which code are you referring to as the discount code that country of origin doesn't affect price at all?
If they pull that, I'll file a human rights complaint. Imagine if a hotel in Canada decides to charge you more than double because you're an American.

The discount code that I used was d008400, if I read correctly, it's the code for Amazon employees, and DP telling nobody has been asked to show the proof. My confirmation didn't say anything about Amazon, just the code. I've changed countries of residency, the rate didn't change.
Old Aug 22, 18, 7:11 am

Programs: Aerclub - Concierge, BA - Silver. Avis - Presidents Club
I know booking as an Irish resident when I visited the US I would get cars for substantially cheaper than my american based colleagues booking for the same time period and often lower class of car.

But I would be very cautious about changing residency as already pointed out you may invalidate any insurance cover you have.
Old Aug 22, 18, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Ireland is not Canada. They are two diferent markets. Moreover, Avis must comply with Irish rules regarding what is and is not included in the rate.

This has been the case for decades. It also happens with air tickets & hotels, just to name a few. As a resident of Canada, there are all manner of discounts and special fares and rates available to you in the EU, which are not available to a resident of an EU Member State.

The reason that Avis does not typically demand documentation for residence and discount codes is that the better deterrent against rental fraud is the denial of insurance coverage in the event of property damage or even worse, injury. That is when insurance carriers investigate. When they find out that one has made a false statement in connection with the rental agreement and that it was therefore void, pretty much all insurance is voided, at least as to he event in question.

Crime never pays.
IAHtraveler and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Often1; Aug 22, 18 at 10:24 am
Old Nov 10, 19, 3:51 am
Suspended

What if Iím actually resident of the foreign country but driving on a local license? Us Rental is almost 1K cheaper booking through Avis UK. Iíve lived in the UK for years but still drive on an American license.
Old Nov 10, 19, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The OP might find this thread instructive:

Budget would Not honor my reservation
Old Nov 10, 19, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"local" as in what country?

In the US, the law varies from state to state, but if you typically have some relatively short period of time to change your license to the jurisdiction of residence.

As with all of these things, the exact details matter.
Old Nov 10, 19, 3:57 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That seems to apply to people moving to the state (permanently, I'm not sure what happens if the move is supposed to be temporary, such as for a temporary job away from home). Some other countries seem to have no problem with someone keeping the (sometimes lifetime) license from the original country and also having a driving license from someplace else, such as a state in the USA. IIRC the rules can also be somewhat different if you don't own a car and/or aren't driving in the new state.
Old Nov 11, 19, 12:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
"local" as in what country?

In the US, the law varies from state to state, but if you typically have some relatively short period of time to change your license to the jurisdiction of residence.

As with all of these things, the exact details matter.
I moved from New York to London in 2014. Still have an address in New York (my in laws) for bank accounts etc. I still have a NY license tied to this address.
Old Nov 14, 19, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
The OP might find this thread instructive:

Budget would Not honor my reservation
Renters who have indicated a country of residence outside of the US will be required to present a non US issued drivers license and a non US issued passport OR an international airline ticket at the time of rental to qualify for the rate."

I'm pretty sure I didn't see such warnings on avis site. It seems like I've forgotten to report the outcome: booked with the Amazon employee code as a Canadian resident. No proof of employment was requested.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: