Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9.99 Downtown <> Airport deal refueling?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
9.99 Downtown <> Airport deal refueling?

As a carless New Yorker, I've been really enjoying Avis 9.99 airport deal. I've driven more than 150 miles on most trips, which is still an excellent deals with rentals coming in at under $25 most of the time. It's not clear to me if the free tank of gas is included if you exceed the 150 miles, so I've been refueling. Does anyone know if I need to refuel if I exceed the mileage?
Old May 16, 2018, 8:13 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm curious about how you are using it. I'm guessing you're using it as a cheap local rental and then either taking public transportation or Lyft/Uber to/from the airport/home?

If you drive more than the 150 miles alotted, do they charge you anything extra?
Old May 16, 2018, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm curious about how you are using it. I'm guessing you're using it as a cheap local rental and then either taking public transportation or Lyft/Uber to/from the airport to/from home?

If you drive more than the 150 miles alotted, do they charge you anything extra?
I pick it up in my neighborhood, go on a day trip, drop it off at the airport, and take the train home. They do charge $0.10 extra per mile if you go over the 150. I used the deal to go hiking last weekend. It was much more convenient than public transportation. The car rental was ~$20 (I went over the 150 miles) and my train ticket was ~15. For me ~$35 total to get out of the city is a great deal, considering I'd probably be paying more than double without the deal. Our traffic is awful, so the airport dropoff actually let's me bypass some of the traffic mess.
AutoSlash and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I would not refuel. The offer's terms and conditions -- as found on the Avis website -- say that the first tank of gas is free, and that additional miles are charged at 10¢ each:

https://www.avis.com/en/offers/us-of...rt-car-rentals

Hope that the OP has been paying the extra $1.00 + tax to earn anywhere from 500 to 1,250 AA miles per rental, the actual amount depending on AA elite status, or being a Citi or Barclays AA credit-card holder.

Edited to add: As IAHtraveler correctly notes below, AA mileage earning on Avis/Budget rentals is only possible on rentals originating at an airport.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; May 16, 2018 at 11:00 am
Old May 16, 2018, 8:55 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
I pick it up in my neighborhood, go on a day trip, drop it off at the airport, and take the train home. They do charge $0.10 extra per mile if you go over the 150. I used the deal to go hiking last weekend. It was much more convenient than public transportation. The car rental was ~$20 (I went over the 150 miles) and my train ticket was ~15. For me ~$35 total to get out of the city is a great deal, considering I'd probably be paying more than double without the deal. Our traffic is awful, so the airport dropoff actually let's me bypass some of the traffic mess.
Very good strategy. Kudos!
Old May 16, 2018, 9:37 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by guv1976
Hope that the OP has been paying the extra $1.00 + tax to earn anywhere from 500 to 1,250 AA miles per rental, the actual amount depending on AA elite status, or being a Citi or Barclays AA credit-card holder.
I don't think off-airport pickups qualify for mileage earning. At least they didn't used to.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I don't think off-airport pickups qualify for mileage earning. At least they didn't used to.
Yes, you're absolutely right. I'm so used to renting at the airport (there are no off-airport Avis/Budget locations where I live) that I often forget about that wrinkle.

But if the OP -- or anybody else -- takes the deal in the other direction (airport ==> city on a Thursday or Friday), then mileage earning is possible. Of course, picking up at the airport is a little more expensive than picking up in town because of higher fees associated with airport pick-ups.

​​​​​
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SW RR
I am considering using this deal in the Washington DC area. If you don't go over the 150 miles, do you just return the car with the fuel "AS IS" ? It is less expensive than the metro!
Old May 27, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kathyfm1
I am considering using this deal in the Washington DC area. If you don't go over the 150 miles, do you just return the car with the fuel "AS IS" ? It is less expensive than the metro!
how is it? (pls submit out-of-pocket comparison)
Old May 27, 2018, 2:55 pm

• Metro $9.15 SmarTrip Fare and 1 hour of time from IAD to Union Station on a Friday Plus metro costs of other destinations in DC.
  • Avis Deal 9.99 , mileage points, less time, and flexibility to stop shop, sight see, etc and visit with daughter who lives in DC. Arrive after 6:30 for free parking.
Old May 27, 2018, 4:57 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

• Metro $9.15 SmarTrip Fare and 1 hour of time from IAD to Union Station on a Friday Plus metro costs of other destinations in DC.
  • Avis Deal 9.99 , mileage points, less time, and flexibility to stop shop, sight see, etc and visit with daughter who lives in DC. Arrive after 6:30 for free parking.
What's the final cost with the taxes/fees, though? Not saying it's a bad deal or not worth it, but I'd bet the rental is rarely less expensive than a 1-way train to the burbs in most cities.
Old May 27, 2018, 5:57 pm

Still a great option even with AVIS taxes and fees vs $9.15 for the Metro to get you to one stop. And the convenience.

Base Rate$8.99
Mileage: 150 Miles included, 0.10 USD per additional mile
Rental Options
$0.00
Discount Codes
Fees & Taxes$3.26
Estimated Total$12.25
SinglePapa2 likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See Post #4 , above.

Based on the terms and conditions of the $9.99 one-way special, you do not need to buy gas even if you exceed the 150-mile allowance. The penalty for exceeding 150 miles is an additional charge of 10¢/mile for the overage, not forfeiture of the free first tank of gas.

The only time I would ever buy gas on such a rental would be if I were in danger of running out of fuel after putting on a lot of additional miles. And even then, I would only put in as much fuel as I thought would be needed to get the car to the return location.

If you plan to take advantage of this offer – from either Avis or Budget – I recommend that you carry with you a hard copy of the offer's terms and conditions when you return the vehicle, to avoid any possible unpleasantness re: fuel level.
AutoSlash and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.