Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Prepaid rental through budget, rental location scheduled to be closed

Old Mar 21, 18, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

I've found myself in a bit of a dilemma. In December I reserved a prepaid rental with Budget for a mini van for 8 days for $200. The pickup location is at a city location. The reservation is for pickup on Easter Sunday during their normal Sunday hours. A family member renting from the same location noticed a sign that said they would be closed Easter Sunday. When I check the Budget website it now says they will be closed Easter Sunday and they no longer allow reservations on that day. So I call Budget customer service to make sure I will have a car. The rep confirmed that they will be closed and I will not be able to pick up my vehicle. She only gives me two options. I can pick up from the airport for about $600 more. Or I can pick up on Monday. Amazingly that will be $250 more. They are totally refusing to honor the original prepaid reservation at all. I can't believe Budget has totally screwed me. The other rental companies are extremely expensive as well since its last minute on spring break. If I cancel my reservation they are charging me a $50 cancel fee even though this is totally Budget's fault. I'm debating if I should simply dispute the whole charge on my credit card, or should I cancel and then dispute the $50 charge if they actually charge this fee? I'm also wondering if anyone has a corporate number that I can complain about the terrible customer service reps that I had to argue with.
Old Mar 21, 18, 11:54 pm

Will they respond to direct messages on social media? I've had success with different companies that way.
tromboneboss likes this.
Old Mar 22, 18, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klanfa View Post
Will they respond to direct messages on social media? I've had success with different companies that way.
Thats a good idea. Iíll see if that works.
Old Mar 22, 18, 10:44 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

I would avoid canceling or changing your Sunday reservation (if you incur a higher rate) and just show up on Monday. Keeping your existing reservation in-tact is your only proof that you were in fact booked for a Sunday pickup at the $200 rate. Be sure to have an email/print/PDF copy of your original reservation confirmation from Budget for reference and in case you need to escalate later.

My guess is that the location should honor the original price for pickup on Monday morning. What about picking up the vehicle on Saturday instead of Sunday? Will you be in town then? If you are charged for an extra day, you can probably just dispute that on your credit card if Budget won't make a customer service adjustment.

I do agree with @klanfa that a DM on social media is a good move, and if you don't get satisfaction that way, then call them out in a public mention. It seems like a pretty cut and dried issue of them being in the wrong, and while it may take some effort to get them to own up to it, you should eventually prevail based on our experience.
tromboneboss and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Mar 23, 18, 9:08 am
Original Poster

I messaged Budget on Facebook. They said they'll try to respond in 48 hrs. Budget service is looking pretty sad. Thanks for the responses.
Old Mar 23, 18, 9:10 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by tromboneboss View Post
I messaged Budget on Facebook. They said they'll try to respond in 48 hrs. Budget service is looking pretty sad. Thanks for the responses.
Try Twitter as well. Often the response is faster there. If you don't have a Twitter account, may be worth setting one up as support via Twitter, in general, is often fastest/easiest there.
cblaisd and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Mar 23, 18, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
When you communicate with them, make sure you clearly express your desired solution.

1. You booked a reservation at location XYZ for pickup on Sunday, April 1st.
2. That location has since announced that it won't be open on 4/1/18.
3. So, you want instead to pick up the car on Saturday/pick up the car on Monday/pick up the car on Sunday at the airport, without a cost change.
AutoSlash and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Mar 24, 18, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the responses. I just now heard back on Twitter. Iíll let you know how it turns out.
trooper likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: