FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   2018: List your upgrades (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/1885817-2018-list-your-upgrades.html)

IAHtraveler Jan 2, 2018 9:55 am

2018: List your upgrades

Starting a new thread for 2018. Please include the following when posting your upgrade:

Starting this thread in hopes that these types of questions will be consolidated here. I'm hope those with experience at certain stations will share their experiences here.
  • Your Avis status
  • Car/Class Assigned
  • Car/Class Received (if different from assigned vehicle)
  • Any Other Comments

Vinotraveller Jan 10, 2018 3:03 am

• President's Club
  • LHR T5
  • Large - Mercedes E Class Auto or Equivalent
  • K - Audi A5 Automatic with NAV and tons of options
  • K - Audi A5 Automatic with NAV and tons of options
  • No alternatives were offered via the app, and it was the nicest car on the lot, very clean despite having done almost 10,000 miles. I was told it was an upgrade although I am not convinced about that as it is slightly smaller than an A6, E-Class or BMW 5 Series. It was a very nice car though so no grumbles.

GaryK84 Jan 10, 2018 3:14 am

• President's Club
  • London St Pancras
  • Full size (F) - Vauxhall Insignia or equivalent
  • Received: (L) - Hyundai Santa Fe automatic
This was through the 25% off campaign so the daily rate was only £33.

jinglish Jan 14, 2018 9:07 pm

• Preferred Plus
  • LAX
  • Booked: Standard (Buick Verano or similar)
  • Assigned: Convertible (Ford Mustang)
Given the weather in LA this weekend, I had no complaints.

brfilora Jan 16, 2018 6:24 pm

• Presidents Club
  • MCI - Kansas City Airport
  • Booked: Full Size
  • Assigned: Mitsubishi Outlander AWD
  • Received: Dodge Durango GT
Definitely one of the nicest cars on the lot...slim pickings at MCI airport at 4pm on a Tuesday.

mmoser2 Jan 17, 2018 4:31 am

• PP
  • YYZ- Toronto
  • Booked: Standard SUV
  • Assigned: 2017 BMW X5
  • Received: same Shocked to get this upgrade, but the lot was empty. Less than 10 cars in the entire Avis section of the garage. My coworker on a minivan res ended up with an Escalade because that was the closest thing they had available.
  • PP
  • SAT- San Antonio
  • Booked: Pickup
  • Assigned: 2017 Nissan Titan
  • Received: same

rtch92 Jan 18, 2018 3:54 pm

what day of the week and what time did you show up for an upgrade like this?

Originally Posted by mmoser2 (Post 29303005)
  • PP
  • YYZ- Toronto
  • Booked: Standard SUV
  • Assigned: 2017 BMW X5
  • Received: same Shocked to get this upgrade, but the lot was empty. Less than 10 cars in the entire Avis section of the garage. My coworker on a minivan res ended up with an Escalade because that was the closest thing they had available.
  • PP
  • SAT- San Antonio
  • Booked: Pickup
  • Received: same

mmoser2 Jan 18, 2018 8:41 pm

I arrived at 11:30am on a tuesday, and the Avis section of the garage was completely bare.

Vinotraveller Jan 25, 2018 5:19 am

January 2018

Booked: Luxury: BMW 7-Series or similar
Assigned: Mercedes S-Class 350D
Received: Mercedes S-Class 350D

Was the only luxury car on the lot and appeared to have been transferred to AGP from MAD specifically for my rental judging from the SatNav history. Quite a tired car with extensive body damage and a grubby interior. As I arrived late at night and in a hurry I did not enquire as to alternatives.

ucfjoe Jan 29, 2018 6:07 pm

• Presidents
  • MCO
  • Full Size
  • Chrysler 300 (not loaded)
  • ”Anything off Exchange” further pressing F-150, then Kia Sportage
  • Went to counter, guy was nice but I think confused by Presidents Club when I pushed for not just anything off exchange all I could see were mini-vans. He went back to check with manager who came up with truck or soortage. I just told him to cancel reservation which seemed to really surprise him. Went downstairs, to National Executive, mixed bag but took Volvo XC 90 which is admittedly a rare find for me at National. A few Infiniti’s otherwise worth noting.

GNALUZU Feb 9, 2018 3:22 pm

• Chairman
  • ORD
  • Booked Full Size
  • Assigned Chrysler 300
  • Received Mercedes GLS 450
When I first saw the email with the 300 listed I figured it would get changed while I was on my flight. I was somewhat surprised that it didn't because I usually get assigned Cadillac from ORD. I went inside the preferred booth to talk about an upgrade and the desk agent started looking through the computer. I said, "hey, how about that white Merc SUV out there", thinking it would get denied. She said, "sure, I just need my manager to sign off on the change". A few minutes later we were on our way.

The SUV drove nice, but the Check Coolant light came on immediately. Since it was only 12 degrees the days I was driving, I wasn't too concerned, but I did keep an eye on the gauge just to be safe.

IAHtraveler Feb 9, 2018 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by GNALUZU (Post 29399560)
  • Chairman
  • ORD
  • Booked Full Size
  • Assigned Chrysler 300
  • Received Mercedes GLS 450
The SUV drove nice, but the Check Coolant light came on immediately. Since it was only 12 degrees the days I was driving, I wasn't too concerned, but I did keep an eye on the gauge just to be safe.

Odd: we had a smaller MB SUV (maybe the GLE?) two weeks ago in LAS. About 80% of the times it started, the check coolant warning came on. I checked it for leaks and watched the temp and everything seemed fine.

Vinotraveller Feb 11, 2018 11:19 am

• President's Club
  • TLS
  • Booked Renault Megane with NAV
  • Assigned Fiat Tipo 1.6d Manual with NAV
  • Received Fiat Tipo 1.6d Manual with NAV
I was told this was an upgrade and the usual horrible team at TLS claimed there was nothing else they could give me despite a full lot. Then on return they attempted to double charge me the premium location fee.

This is definitely the last time I use AVIS at TLS. They seem fine everywhere else, but this station is a total nightmare!

mmoser2 Feb 11, 2018 5:37 pm

• PP
  • IAH
  • Pick Up
  • Assigned: 2017 Nissan Frontier
  • Car/Class Received: 2017 F150.
  • I had to beg and plead to get something other than the dreaded Frontier. I have never seen so many Frontiers on one lot, had to have been 30+ in the garage ready to go. By far the most common vehicle on the lot bar none. Overheard another customer at the preferred desk who was assigned one on an intermediate car res and was trying to avoid it like the plauge. My coworker ended up with one on a full size car res. Only plus was that it was a top of the line Pro4x trim.
  • PP
  • DTW
  • Premium SUV
  • Assigned: Kia Rio?!?!
  • Car/Class Received: 2017 Expedition EL.
  • Any Other Comments Guy at desk had no clue how the i got assigned a Rio on a Premium SUV res, took him 20 mins to dig up a 36k mile expedition EL for me.
  • PP
  • DFW
  • Pick Up
  • Car/Class Received: Same
  • Comments: Really enjoying the Titan's . SL trim is fairly loaded ( leather, blind spot monitoring, LED bed lights, Bedliner)

mmoser2 Feb 18, 2018 9:11 pm

• PP
  • OKC
  • Booked: Pick Up
  • Assigned: 2018 F150
  • Car/Class Received: Same
  • Comments: First of the newly redesigned 2018 F150's I've seen on an Avis lot. It had under 500 miles on it when I got it. It was spec'd the same as most of the 2016/17 ones i've had recently. underpowered standard V6, XLT trim with cloth seats, 2 wheel drive. Huge cab, very nice highway cruiser.