Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018: List your upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by Mackle
Wow, that is quite incredible. I find LHR and LCY can be really stingy about their upgrades.

Case in point, my last hire was "Golf or similar", and they wanted to charge me for an upgrade:-
"As a Presidents Club member would you like an upgrade to a Mercedes C200?"
"Yes please! Many thanks!"
"Certainly Sir, as a presidents club member we can offer you that for an additional payment of only Ł122 when returning the vehicle".

I declined as not going to pay Ł122 on top of what I had already pre-paid with, especially for just a 48 hour hire. I think they gave me a Ford Focus with the Sat Nav disabled instead.
can't speak for LCY, but had a few good upgrades at LHR T3/4:
booked Citroen C3, assigned MB C200, took CLA 220d
Booked Golf, assigned/took MB C200d
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Originally Posted by ng1265
can't speak for LCY, but had a few good upgrades at LHR T3/4:
booked Citroen C3, assigned MB C200, took CLA 220d
Booked Golf, assigned/took MB C200d
Maybe Avis just don’t like me.

Today at FRA, booked Pasatt estate, got 3-series SE estate. That’s more or less a “or similar” rather than a two group weekend upgrade, surely?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: too many
would be a one-class upgrade I think
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:33 pm

Kona Airport, Hawaii
Booked: intermediate (Chevrolet Cruze)
Recieved: Chevrolet Malibu. 33k miles and in terrible state. One member of staff so couldnt be bothered to discuss. Worth noting that I never got my rental agreement on email and in the app it’s teling me I never picked the car up.
Will there be issues when returning in a few days time? This has never happened to me before...
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:38 am

Lihue-Kauai Airport, Hawaii
Booked: Buick Verano
Assigned: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Taken: Jeep Wrangler V6
The Grand Cherokee was filthy with potato chips all over the drivers seat so took a change to the wrangler. More fun anyway!!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:56 pm

LAX
Booked: Select Series (Jaguar F-Pace or similar)
Assigned: Jaguar F-Pace
Received: Jaguar F-Pace

SNA
Booked: Premium Sedan
Assigned: Ford Taurus
Received: Dodge Challenger R/T
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:47 pm

Honolulu Airport, Hawaii
Booked: Buick Verano
Assigned: Chevrolet Malibu (not keen!)
Taken/asked for: Jeep Wrangler V6

super grumpy woman at the preferred desk but better than a bloody Malibu which I would not claim is an upgrade from the Buick class.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
LAX
Booked: Full Size with u/coupon. Lot was full.
Assigned: Malibu. All cars in the exchange row were either basic Rogue's or Outlanders (they seem to have a lot of those)
Received: Volvo XC60 at $25 extra per day. When I got to my row and saw it was an old one with 46,000 miles, I said no way in hell I would pay an upgrade to that. Went back and asked for a newer one, said it would be $95 lol. Offered a free Wrangler. Keys were missing. Wife was pissed after being airborne for 9 hours and doing this. Ended up with a hearse of an MKT which I hate. 36,000 miles. All the cars I saw were over 35k miles.

Possibly the worst station I've been to?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by Redwood839
Possibly the worst station I've been to?
Try TLS if you want to experience an even worse station!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Booked: Premium
Offered: Volvo XC90 or BMW 5 series.

Ended up taking a XC60 as I knew the 90 would be tight for our hotel’s parking garage and we had too much luggage for the 5.

Side note: it took 45 minutes to finalize the contract due to switching the payment to a different card along with them requiring a second card due to class requirements. They ultimately had to cancel the entire contract and reissue with two layers of management having to intervene
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
LAX
Booked: Full Size
Assigned: Cadillac XTS
Received: Dodge Journey

I would have taken the XTS, but the trunk opening was shaped in a way that I could not fit two full size suitcases into the trunk space. (I had previously fit the same amount of luggage easily into an Impala.) After some back and forth, we ended up with the Journey, and were happy with it.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:51 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnneeO
LAX
Assigned: Cadillac XTS
Received: Dodge Journey
How the mighty have fallen... I remember when the XTS was first introduced and Avis got an onslaught of them. I used to frequently book full or premium as a Chairman and I remember at least 4x being told that I couldn't get the XTS as a free upgrade! The craziesr was in PHX where they wanted north of $100/day ADDITIONAL for it! Now they'll offer that in a full size rental before a Journey!
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Booked: Intermediate (Cruze or similar)
Assigned: Ford Taurus
Received: Ford Taurus - sounded good to me! And it had heated seats, steering wheel, and nav.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Booked: VW Passat varient station wagon or similar
Assigned: Ford Mondeo 1.5
Received: Mercedes E200 saloon - When I was given the Mondeo key on a Friday afternoon, I said I thought PC members got a double upgrade at weekends. Now usually at this point in FRA, I get told something like "PC upgrades are not guaranteed and can be offered for pay at counter reservations only, you cannot have a PC upgrade if you pre-pay". But this time I was told that the Mondeo was the only station wagon available, so I said I didn't need a station wagon just something with fold down rear seats, and the lady behind the counter asked if an E-class would do...
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
HNL
Assigned: Fusion
Received: Wrangler Soft Top - Extremely basic, but fun for Island driving I guess.

LAX
Assigned: Malibu
Received: Took actually - 2018 Suburban with 36,000 Miles. Saw it from the bus while rolling in and someone said, it probably shouldn't be in select and go, but took a picture and went to the exit and had no problems.

Every car at LAX in the app had north of 35K Miles. Unbelievable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.