Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:12 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
Branch: RDU Airport
Booked: Standard
Assigned: Ford F-150
Received: Toyota Avalon

This was a one-way rental to TYS which may be why they tried to foist the F-150 on to me. When I first went to an agent to swap out the car I was offered my choice of SUVs. But I had a long drive and wanted a sedan. The Avalon was fine minus the 31,000 miles on the clock.
Was this yesterday? I went to RDU for a 1-way rental on a minivan reservation. The app let me select a Yukon XL .I went to the agent and asked for the Expedition L instead. He was adament they had ZERO SUVs and couldn't help me, even as a CHM and a lot full of large SUVs. He finally relented when I said "I'm already in an 8 passenger SUV and just want to swap to another" about 4 times. 🙄
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:09 am

I wonder if the evacuations in the RDU area might have something to do with that. It sounds like a lot of one-ways might be going across the mountains to TN.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:58 pm

Previous 2 rentals this month.

Booked: Standard
Assigned: Ford EcoSport
Received: Ford EcoSport

Booked: Intermediate
Assigned: Ford Mustang
Received: Mustang
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I wonder if the evacuations in the RDU area might have something to do with that. It sounds like a lot of one-ways might be going across the mountains to TN.
Absolutely! But the schmuck just wouldn't listen to me. I already had a Yukon XL and just wanted to swap to the Ford equivalent. He just kept saying "no SUVs" and getting angry at me for repeating my point/question that I wanted a similar swap.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:04 am

Booked: intermediate
Assigned: Ford Edge
Received: Lincoln mkx

I kept refreshing my avis change selection screen then it randomly showed a Lincoln mkx and I changed immediately. Turns out it's 2017 with 35k miles which is a eternity in car rental terms. I was gonna ask if I could swap out to a newer model with less miles but saw the lot was kinda empty with tons of vehicles returned waiting to be processed so didntn try my luck.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Sept 21, 2018
Booked Intermediate (C Class) from BOS - assigned Mitsubishi Lancer, Intermediate
Booked Full Size (E Class) from WC7 - Upgraded to Chrysler 300, Luxury (H Class)
xfire22 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Booked: Full Size
Assigned: Dodge Grand Caravan via the App. In person was offered a Mitsubishi Outlander
Received: 2x Mustang ended with Charger R/T

Went down to the Preferred office and told the guy it was just me and my wife and 1 small bag, so no need for an Outlander or Caravan, got a Mustang (everyone was getting a mustang). The said assigned Mustang had 21k miles and a side swipe on the right which was pretty well hidden under the lines of the car. Came back and was offered a Camaro or a Mustang, took a mustang. Had a MASSIVE stone chip bang in the middle of the windshield but was already tagged and I forced the attendant to note it while I recorded. For a 8000 mile car, the brakes were in terrible shape and lots of vibration. Came back the next day since I was driving to Tonopah and wanted something not so vibrating and a grumpy old lady offered a Sentra. She must have seen my face and said "guess you don't want a Sentra". Told me to take a walk and choose something and come back. Lots of SUV's and Mini Vans, lots of convertibles. Ended with a Charger SRT with 3000 miles which was basic but very fun to drive.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: Avis PP, National EE, Hertz PC
Booked: Standard SUV
Assigned: Given a choice of a Dodge Durango GT, Hyundai Santa Fe XL or Jeep Wrangler
Requested and received: Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Initially were told to wait for one to be cleaned but they managed to find a key to one lying on the counter)
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
I need to rent a car in Frankfurt from a Friday to a Monday next week; my choices are either Frankfurt Ost which is about a 10 minute walk from my house, or get the train to the airport to rent from FRA.

Am looking at hiring group F (E-class or similar). The price is similar in both branches, but was wondering if I had a better chance of a PC upgrade (and a better upgrade because of the 2 upgrade groups at a weekend from airport/train station location "if available" perk ) by collecting the car from the airport rather than the local branch?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by Mackle
I need to rent a car in Frankfurt from a Friday to a Monday next week; my choices are either Frankfurt Ost which is about a 10 minute walk from my house, or get the train to the airport to rent from FRA.

Am looking at hiring group F (E-class or similar). The price is similar in both branches, but was wondering if I had a better chance of a PC upgrade (and a better upgrade because of the 2 upgrade groups at a weekend from airport/train station location "if available" perk ) by collecting the car from the airport rather than the local branch?
Normal rule of thumb would be you would have a much better chance at the airport location. However we are talking about Avis who seem to have a tiny amount of premium vehicles in Europe generally. In Germany you'd be much better off with Sixt if you are looking for premium vehicles.
Mackle likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
Normal rule of thumb would be you would have a much better chance at the airport location. However we are talking about Avis who seem to have a tiny amount of premium vehicles in Europe generally. In Germany you'd be much better off with Sixt if you are looking for premium vehicles.
Agreed. You're most likely to end with a premium car with Sixt in EU.
Mackle likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Thanks both.

I was leaning towards Avis purely because they were 22€ cheaper

But I see what you mean, my local Sixt does appear to have a huge choice of cars on their website on the dates I wish to book.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: Avis PP, National EE, Hertz PC
Booked: Standard SUV
Assigned: Jeep Wrangler
Received: Toyota Prius (Didn't want a Wrangler and they did not have any other standard SUVs available)
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:06 pm

Premium Sedan usually does me well...

LAX (3 occurrences)
Booked: Premium Sedan x3
Assigned: Dodge Charger R/T | Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Premium | Mercedes GLC 350 4Matic
Received: Dodge Charger R/T | Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Premium | Mercedes GLC 350 4Matic

DFW
Booked: Premium Sedan
Assigned: Lincoln MKT (smelled like smoke, requested change)
Received: Dodge Charger R/T

LAS (2 occurrences)
Booked: Premium Sedan (x2)
Assigned: Cadillac XTS Ford Explorer
Received: Dodge Challenger R/T x2

DAL
Booked: Standard SUV (2 occurrences)
Assigned: Kia Sorento | Nissan Rogue
Received: Mercedes GLS 450 | Ford Explorer Limited

Booked: Full-Size SUV
Assigned: Ford Expedition (very worn, had a smell)
Received: Chevrolet Tahoe Premier with 2000 miles

Booked: Full-Size SUV
Assigned: Ford Expedition (very worn, had a smell)
Received: Chevrolet Tahoe Premier with 2000 miles

Assigned: Lincoln MKT, changed to Volvo XC60 in app, changed to Challenger R/T at booth
Received: Dodge Challenger R/T

Assigned: Ford Taurus
Received: Dodge Charger R/T
m907 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Serial Upgrader
Premium Sedan usually does me well...
Wow, that is quite incredible. I find LHR and LCY can be really stingy about their upgrades.

Case in point, my last hire was "Golf or similar", and they wanted to charge me for an upgrade:-
"As a Presidents Club member would you like an upgrade to a Mercedes C200?"
"Yes please! Many thanks!"
"Certainly Sir, as a presidents club member we can offer you that for an additional payment of only 122 when returning the vehicle".

I declined as not going to pay 122 on top of what I had already pre-paid with, especially for just a 48 hour hire. I think they gave me a Ford Focus with the Sat Nav disabled instead.

Last edited by Mackle; Oct 25, 2018 at 5:57 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.