2018: List your upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:51 pm

• Preferred (no elite status)
  • LAX
  • Booked: Premium
  • Assigned: Standard SUV
  • Car received: 2017 Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD
  • Comments: I was driving around some very hilly areas, so while the extra ground clearance was nice, I would rather have had 4WD and taken a fuel economy hit. Pretty sure the location was running out of cars at pick-up time because I was assigned a vehicle which was sitting behind the office, and the aisles were looking pretty empty.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond , Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
  • PP
  • SNA
  • Booked:Pick Up
  • Assigned: Nothing
  • Car/Class Received: Ford Explorer Limted
  • Comments: SNA had zero pickups available. My coworker who arrived a day after me had same issue. I pushed the matter at the preferred desk and the largest SUV they could find me was an Explorer. I pushed for the larger Navigator that I saw, but they wouldnt budge on it. My coworker only ended up with a Mazda 6. Sucks because we really needed the pickup's. I also asked for the rate to be changed but I booked so far in advance the pickup rate we had was cheaper than the standard elite SUV rate.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
  • PP
  • TPA
  • Booked : Std SUV
  • Assigned : Ford Edge
  • Received : suburban
  • I nicely asked for a larger vehicle, and was given it. They had plenty of vehicles
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:06 am

Reserved: Intermediate
Assigned: Kia Forte
Received: '17 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium. Two of them were sitting in the exchange row, by the time I got to them, the red one was spoken for, so I had to settle for the white one.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:10 am

Reserved: Full Size
Assigned: Chevy Malibu
Received: '17 Nissan Pathfinder. Exchanged via the app while on my way to rental center. This was a one-way airport special at $9.99 + taxes (fuel included).
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:03 am

That's a surprise for a free upgrade. SUVs are part of that special, but can be booked for a higher price.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
PP
MDW
Booked : Full Sized
Assigned : Nothing (they were short on Vehicles in the preferred slots)
Received : Volvo VC 60
I Pointed to it, it was the only thing sitting right outside the window. I think she just gave it to me so I would not have wait while she radioed and tracked something down.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:04 pm

PP
YYZ
Booked : Standard SUV
Assigned : Grey HYUNDAI SANTA FE XL 6PSGR
Received : Black CADILLAC ESCALADE

I asked for it, $30 upgrade per day. 3 days with it. Used a tank of gas, got some looks with it, I enjoyed it.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Mar 2, 2018 at 5:57 am
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
That's a surprise for a free upgrade. SUVs are part of that special, but can be booked for a higher price.
Intermediate and standard SUVs are part of that deal, but not the larger ones - the largest car you can reserve under that promo is a minivan (for $19.99). Pathfinder was listed on the receipt as "Standard SUV-7 Pass".
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:55 pm

I know. But why would they give you a free upgrade when they could have given it to someone else willing to pay the $9 price difference for that special? Or even keep the SUV at JFK for someone paying a far higher roundtrip or long distance one-way rate?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I know. But why would they give you a free upgrade when they could have given it to someone else willing to pay the $9 price difference for that special? Or even keep the SUV at JFK for someone paying a far higher roundtrip or long distance one-way rate?
If they have better vehicles available, agents *sometimes* have a heart. Also, not all agents take notice on the return location to note that it's 1-way before giving out a vehicle.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:33 pm

Class Booked: G - Volvo V60 or similar
Car/Class Assigned: unknown
Car/Class Received: D - Audi A4 Avant
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond , Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
PP
ELP
Booked : Pickup
Assigned : 2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Received : Same

Avis's Ram fleet is definitely the most poorly optioned of the pickups. Bare Bones SLT 2 wheel drive. Doesnt even have a back up camera. Also the quad cab on the Ram has the smallest backseat of any of their pickups, smaller than the Frontier. Also cant stand the rotary dial gear selector that's right next to the A/C dial.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:35 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmoser2
PP
ELP
Booked : Pickup
Assigned : 2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Received : Same

Avis's Ram fleet is definitely the most poorly optioned of the pickups. Bare Bones SLT 2 wheel drive. Doesnt even have a back up camera. Also the quad cab on the Ram has the smallest backseat of any of their pickups, smaller than the Frontier. Also cant stand the rotary dial gear selector that's right next to the A/C dial.
While I agree the Ram sucks compared to the F150 or even a Silverado, I love the rotary gear shifter. Takes a few times to get used to, but takes up much less space than the console mounted shifter. And easier to hit the right gear than one of the column-mounted sticks. I can't understand why Dodge/Fiat thinks it's smart to make larger vehicles without cameras. Who would ever buy a pickup post 2014 (or even a Journey like I was in this weekend) without that?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Reserved: Mid-size - Group E
Assigned: Nissan Qashqai (Group F), which changed to a Mercedes C Class (also Group F) before I arrived to collect the car.
Received: The Merc.

Overall a lovely car, but I HATE the infotainment system. I'd rather just use a touch screen, or even old-fashioned buttons. Also, given the snowy weather in the UK at the weekend, I didn't get to use the car to it's full potential.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.