Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Skyteam Silver, BA Bronze
Preferred
Group V - "Minivan"
MIA
August 2019

The main think I am interested in is simply whether the vehicle is likely to have Sat Nav in it, as coming from the UK , I don't want to have to pay a ton for 4G data in the car !
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukesy
Preferred
Group V - "Minivan"
MIA
August 2019

The main think I am interested in is simply whether the vehicle is likely to have Sat Nav in it, as coming from the UK , I don't want to have to pay a ton for 4G data in the car !
Doubtful. Even the best minivans in the Avis fleet (Pacifica, IMO, which all have leather, heated seats, etc) all lack sat nav. In the fee other vans I've parked in recently, they also lack it and are much lower than the Pacifica in terms of features.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:09 pm

but the Pacifica's have Carplay / Android Auto.

Just download the maps on wifi and you’ll always have navigation, I always have my Google Maps downloaded so I can use it offline when I don’t want it racking up data charges.

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Doubtful. Even the best minivans in the Avis fleet (Pacifica, IMO, which all have leather, heated seats, etc) all lack sat nav. In the fee other vans I've parked in recently, they also lack it and are much lower than the Pacifica in terms of features.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:21 pm

Expected model Avis LAX?

I've booked a std Elite SUV(class S) for 3 weeks at Avis LAX. The website gives a Chevy Traverse as an example. I'm Avis President's club, so what kind of upgrade can I expect, if any? I haven't rented at LAX before.
Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:21 am

As you'll find in the thread linked above, "standard elite" just means 7-passenger, though it usually means a higher trim car. You're unlikely to get an upgrade on an SUV but who knows. Chevy Traverse LT and Ford Explorer Limited are most common.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:43 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

President's Club upgrade doesn't technically apply to SUVs (only cars). You may get lucky and get something nicer than what you booked, but odds are you will get something from the Standard Elite SUV class.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond , Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by dukesy
Preferred
Group V - "Minivan"
MIA
August 2019

Another option to look into when you arrive would be asking about a Ford Flex with Navigation. I've seen some stations that actually have the Flex coded as a V class vehicle even thought its technically an S. A good number of them that i have seen have the Ford navigation in them, and all have the Apple Carplay for the google maps suggestions above.
m907 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
Presidents Club
Standard Car
Denver Airport

Friday - Monday

What will I get?

thanks in advance.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
  • President Club
  • Mid-Size Car (via Priceline)
  • Toronto Pearson Intl Airport (YYZ)
  • Tue, Apr 16 2019

Many thanks
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:51 am

Need to pick up a week long rental this weekend. What day and time would be the best to pick up Saturday or Sunday? This will be at IAH and sometimes when I pick up they have the select and go populated with pick up or suvs .
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: HH, Avios, Club Carlson
  • Preferred
  • Standard Car
  • LAX
  • Fri, Mar 22 2019
Booked a standard car and when I got to the airport I was assigned a Jeep Wrangler, I wasn't a big fan so I asked for something different so they gave me a Full size car, a Chevy Malibu. Went back and asked for another car, they brought me a Toyota full size.

The USB and other chargers were not working so I went and asked again, this time they gave me a Ford Mustang which was perfect and a decent upgrade.
vishu4u likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Femster82
  • Preferred
  • Standard Car
  • LAX
  • Fri, Mar 22 2019
Booked a standard car and when I got to the airport I was assigned a Jeep Wrangler, I wasn't a big fan so I asked for something different so they gave me a Full size car, a Chevy Malibu. Went back and asked for another car, they brought me a Toyota full size.

The USB and other chargers were not working so I went and asked again, this time they gave me a Ford Mustang which was perfect and a decent upgrade.
What was the duration of your rental?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by LReyes66
Need to pick up a week long rental this weekend. What day and time would be the best to pick up Saturday or Sunday? This will be at IAH and sometimes when I pick up they have the select and go populated with pick up or suvs .
The best coupons usually require you to keep the car over a Saturday night, but use autoslash.com and compare the two dates.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Hey all

I have currently booked a Group W car from SFO in mid-June for our honeymoon. The rental duration is 25 days. Is there any way to upgrade (to group S or L) in advance or to know how much an upgrade might cost if we don' get one anway? Or is there anyway to pre-select a specific car/model in group W in advance?

Last edited by florens; Mar 29, 2019 at 5:53 am
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Preferred
Denver Airport
Rented: Full Size Sedan
Friday to Sunday
AWD: Aeroplan Basic... Lol for a total cost of $47 USD

Received: Full Size 'Premium' SUV - GMC Yukon XL Denali.

Pretty big jump - first time renting at this station, but I'm wondering if my Monthly Rentals at YYC has done anything?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.