Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Old Jan 29, 18, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by brfilora View Post
QUESTION ON LIKELINESS OF UPGRADE AT SMALL AVIS LOCATION:

I'm renting a Full-Size car at the "Charleston Cruise Ship Port" for one full day (Saturday) in May. I'm a President's Club member but don't usually rent from smaller locations like these.

Does anyone have any experience getting upgraded at locations like this? Anything I can do to increase my chances?

Thanks!
I've rented from Avis at small locations on a few occasions. If the car class that I purchased is available, I'll be given my choice of what's available in that class, but it's pretty common to not have anything available in that class--and to be given whatever is available and in a higher class as options. For example, I rented a full-size back in September, but then was given my choice of a Premium or an Intermediate SUV.
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:12 am

Programs: too many
Anyone experienced renting at NCE (Nice, France) airport?

Have booked a Mercedes E-class or similar for an astonishing rate (EUR150 for a weekend during the Cannes festival), and as a PC I was wondering which car type I would get and whether there would be a chance of upgrade

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 18, 4:34 pm

Hi all. Off to SA soon and have just been elevated to preferred plus status. What can I expect on the following bookings? Also, what are the chances of them letting me have a car 3hrs early if I donít change the booking in advance?
  • Preferred Plus
  • Reserved group C
  • Durban, SA.
  • Wednesday to Monday.
  • Booked through BA but booking showing on my Avis app.
Also
  • Group H
  • Cape Town
  • Weekend.
  • Booked through BA also.
Old Feb 3, 18, 5:46 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by monkeytennis View Post
Hi all. Off to SA soon and have just been elevated to preferred plus status. What can I expect on the following bookings? Also, what are the chances of them letting me have a car 3hrs early if I donít change the booking in advance?
  • Preferred Plus
  • Reserved group C
  • Durban, SA.
  • Wednesday to Monday.
  • Booked through BA but booking showing on my Avis app.
Also
  • Group H
  • Cape Town
  • Weekend.
  • Booked through BA also.
Preferred plus *might* get you a one class upgrade incredible in a while, unless the station is nearly sold out, then all bets are off.

As for "letting you have a car" early: I'm sure they'll let you have it. However, be prepared for them to modify the time out which could modify the rate if you don't meet the terms of the original rate (pickup after noon, max X hour rental, etc).
Old Feb 4, 18, 6:25 am

Wink

Originally Posted by monkeytennis View Post
  • Preferred Plus
  • Reserved group C
  • Durban, SA.
  • Wednesday to Monday.
  • Booked through BA but booking showing on my Avis app
it wonít show up on your Avis app unless you contact them with your reservation number (Avis Car rental voucher, which you can find on your BA Manage my booking page in BA executive club account)
tgey will then link it and it will show in Avis app
Old Feb 4, 18, 1:39 pm

However, be prepared for them to modify the time out which could modify the rate if you don't meet the terms of the original rate
This. They're very good at noting when the car is actually picked up (or dropped off) so you'll either be charged more when you extend the rental (or on the flip side charged less if you pick it up later or return it earlier).
Old Feb 5, 18, 3:45 am

Now that I have added the bookings to my Avis app, what are the implications of changing the reservation using the app? I have a pre paid voucher from BA so I'm not sure how that would work.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Feb 7, 18 at 7:59 pm Reason: fixed apostrophe showing up as odd character
Old Feb 6, 18, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I was told that as of the new year, many models were reclassified from premium to luxury, leaving only the Ford Taurus, Nissan Maxima, and a couple of other models.

Anyone have a definitive list of premium models for 2018?

i was auto-assigned a 15 passenger can as my upgrade, which I declined and got the Chrysler 300 instead, which I wasnít eligible for as its now a luxury (but got it as there wasnít anything in premium or full size available.

this was at MIA.
Old Feb 7, 18, 8:01 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Callum Jones View Post
This. They're very good at noting when the car is actually picked up (or dropped off) so you'll either be charged more when you extend the rental (or on the flip side charged less if you pick it up later or return it earlier).
Off-topic but not necessarily true that you'll pay less if you pickup later/return earlier. Many rates have specific terms (Saturday night keep, minimum X day keep, etc) so if you don't meet those terms with the modified rental, one could pay much more for a shorter rental.
Old Feb 12, 18, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
How's the fleet at Denver? Looking to book full size, but hoping to land into a lux.
Old Feb 15, 18, 10:12 am

Avis | Preferred Member - DFW to ORD One - Way

Hello

I was planning on driving from DFW to ORD this weekend. What are my chances of getting a BMW 3-series or C/E-class. I am also good with getting a camaro or Mustang coupe. I just don't want to be bored on my drive. Is there a chance of driving of the lot at DFW with one of these and which car should i reserve?

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 18, 11:07 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

If you want a BMW or Mercedes, then you need to reserve one (and pay more for it). If you reserve say a standard intermediate car, then your chance of getting upgraded to a BMW or Mercedes without paying an upgrade fee is essentially zero.
Old Feb 15, 18, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
If you want a BMW or Mercedes, then you need to reserve one (and pay more for it). If you reserve say a standard intermediate car, then your chance of getting upgraded to a BMW or Mercedes without paying an upgrade fee is essentially zero.
I was planning on reserving a Premium since that's the highest it shows me on the website. Also isn't Preferred where you just pick any car of the lot?
Old Feb 15, 18, 3:21 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by Apatel1213 View Post
I was planning on reserving a Premium since that's the highest it shows me on the website. Also isn't Preferred where you just pick any car of the lot?
It showing you only as high as Premium because either that's all that is available right now, or that's all that's available for a one-way rental out of DFW. You could try to negotiate once there, but even for a fee, there is no guarantee they're going to want to let one of their higher-end vehicles go to another location.

Also isn't Preferred where you just pick any car of the lot?
Not even close. Where did you get that impression?
Old Feb 19, 18, 9:17 am

Wrong company, you're thinking of National and their Emerald and Executive Aisles, which can be hit or miss that's for sure. One time I rented the Emerald, with access to Exec aisle due to my status, and the dudes in front of me literally jumped in the car I made a bee line for, a black Camaro SS. I asked for another, and they brought me an RS - not quite the same for a guy all alone at LAX. Luckily after chatting with the attendant, he was able to get me in a Q50S with the turbo 6, so I was happy.

I have reserved a "Signature Series" BMW 328 or similar at BOS next week, as PP I am hoping to get in a 5 series but never rented at BOS before, so have no idea what to expect.

Search this Thread