Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I hate that Avis calls it President's Club. Why they chose nearly identical verbiage to Hertz is beyond me.

PC is supposed to get a double upgrade when available (I think I read somewhere this is at airports only, but my last rental was at a downtown franchise and I got a full-size on a midsize res). Can you share where you are or are not seeing the thing about 14 days? PC is supposedly invitation-only, and the available info on it is so sparse. I am PC and I know next to nothing about it!

-J.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I hate that Avis calls it President's Club. Why they chose nearly identical verbiage to Hertz is beyond me.

PC is supposed to get a double upgrade when available (I think I read somewhere this is at airports only, but my last rental was at a downtown franchise and I got a full-size on a midsize res). Can you share where you are or are not seeing the thing about 14 days? PC is supposedly invitation-only, and the available info on it is so sparse. I am PC and I know next to nothing about it!

-J.
I received this in my "welcome" mail from AVIS, sorry in Swedish only... This is also posted on AVIS Swedish web, how ever in the mail in the fine prints is actually said that the "guaranteed upgrade at airports/train stations" does not apply on rentals longer than 14 days, this is not presence on the AVIS Swedish web page...

So selecting a car from the Select & Go would be more feasible than hoping for an upgrade in my case, or split the rental in to two rentals...

​​​​​​​EK

The nitty gritty
• garanterad biluppgradering med ett steg* = guaranteed one class upgrade
• dubbla uppgraderingar på helger** = guaranteed two class upgrade on weekends

Sorry Swedish only

I've blacked out the e-mail adress since this is not the public published AVIS customer service e-mail.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I got something similar (in English) years ago and that was equally vague. That said, not everyone in my company got PC I think -- I was under the impression that I had status matched from Hertz.

-J.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Not sure why it bothers you, but do you know for a fact Hertz used "President" first?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clubman
Not sure why it bothers you, but do you know for a fact Hertz used "President" first?
I don't. It's just annoying to me that two programs use similar verbiage with identical acronyms. YMMV. I believe Hertz had it first.

-J.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:24 am

• Preferred (Amex Platinum*)
  • Class F: Intermediate SUV + safety seat add on
  • MIA
  • 10/01-24/01
Can I expect an upgrade or should I book some other class?

*As a Platinum Cardmember, Avis invite you to join the Avis Preferred programme. What’s more, the Avis Preferred experience will be made even more special for Platinum members with:
-Priority service
-Increased savings on car rentals worldwide – Up to 15% off published rates
-One car class upgrade subject to availability
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by M I L
  • Preferred (Amex Platinum*)
  • Class F: Intermediate SUV + safety seat add on
  • MIA
  • 10/01-24/01
Can I expect an upgrade or should I book some other class?
Welcome to FT! I'm sure you'll get an intermediate or standard SUV. Clarification request: I just want to make sure you have actually signed up for Avis Preferred. Waving the card around will not get you the upgrade automatically.

-J.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Currently debating whether to go with Avis (for the first time) and hope for / purchase an upgrade or go with Hertz on the following:
  • Preferred Plus (SK Silver)
  • Class E: Full Size (Ford Fusion or similar)
  • LAX
  • 26/12-6/01

The price of the Ford Fusion/group E is around 265 USD. However, we would really like to get something cool and therefore considered booking an American Muscle with Hertz (Camaro SS/Mustang GT) but it costs 1340 USD.

I suspect I'm eligible for a free upgrade as Preferred Plus, but how much should I expect to pay per day for an upgrade into something like a Camaro SS/Mustang GT or maybe something like a BMW 7-series/Cadillac CT6? A group H costs around 800 USD for reference, but I reckon I need to get into a select series?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:07 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
Currently debating whether to go with Avis (for the first time) and hope for / purchase an upgrade or go with Hertz on the following:
  • Preferred Plus (SK Silver)
  • Class E: Full Size (Ford Fusion or similar)
  • LAX
  • 26/12-6/01

The price of the Ford Fusion/group E is around 265 USD. However, we would really like to get something cool and therefore considered booking an American Muscle with Hertz (Camaro SS/Mustang GT) but it costs 1340 USD.

I suspect I'm eligible for a free upgrade as Preferred Plus, but how much should I expect to pay per day for an upgrade into something like a Camaro SS/Mustang GT or maybe something like a BMW 7-series/Cadillac CT6? A group H costs around 800 USD for reference, but I reckon I need to get into a select series?
Haven't seen a 7 Series in probably 2 years at Avis. And I've never seen a CT6. LAX is hit or miss with cars. Sometimes they have the XJ, lots of Land Rovers, Volvo's, etc. Other times, even with a relatively full lot, the best you'll see is a Grand Cherokee. But to get a select series car, expect >$100/day as your upgrade fee from a full size. Unless you're Chairman or Pres Club, don't expect them to come on the cheap.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Haven't seen a 7 Series in probably 2 years at Avis. And I've never seen a CT6. LAX is hit or miss with cars. Sometimes they have the XJ, lots of Land Rovers, Volvo's, etc. Other times, even with a relatively full lot, the best you'll see is a Grand Cherokee. But to get a select series car, expect >$100/day as your upgrade fee from a full size. Unless you're Chairman or Pres Club, don't expect them to come on the cheap.
Thanks for your reply.

As an Avis Preferred Plus member, would the upgrade from a Full Size (class E) get me into a Premium (class G) and what are the chances of this at LAX?

We could probably do with a premium or luxury (preferably a Challenger/Impala/300 or XTS/MKZ) if that saves a substantial amount of money.

And if no free upgrade is given, how much is it usually to upgrade from E to G or H? It's my first time renting with Avis in the US, so I have no clue.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:43 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
Thanks for your reply.

As an Avis Preferred Plus member, would the upgrade from a Full Size (class E) get me into a Premium (class G) and what are the chances of this at LAX?

We could probably do with a premium or luxury (preferably a Challenger/Impala/300 or XTS/MKZ) if that saves a substantial amount of money.

And if no free upgrade is given, how much is it usually to upgrade from E to G or H? It's my first time renting with Avis in the US, so I have no clue.
I can't say there's a "standard" upgrade fee. With a Full reservation, I'd bet you could get a Charger or Impala free. Others will depend on the agent/availability. I haven't seen the XTS or MKZ lately, as it seems there's a ton of 300s in the fleet that are now considered luxury. Probably <$40/day to get into one of these, but no guarantees.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Does anyone have any idea what luxury crossovers DEN has? Booked the XC90 group starting this Friday for 10 days and curious to see what they might have to offer. Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 19, 2019, 8:28 am

Hey first time posting as I have only recently started renting cars more due to work and travel needs. With that said, I apologize if this has been asked before or and I didn't see it. Basically, wondering if it is possible to be upgraded from a Full-Size to an SUV with AVIS? Booked a Full-Size for an upcoming day trip to the Hudson Valley, apple picking season yall, and while the fullsize is fine and the price was great I wouldn't mind an SUV for the back/dirt roads. Details:
  • Avis Preferred
  • Class E - Full Size
  • LGA
Also, I did have a coupon for a free upgrade that I applied to the reservation. Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
  • Preferred Plus (UK affiliation but in the US)
  • Full Size (Ford Focus or similar)
  • SFO (Post Street city location)
  • 1 day rental this Saturday

Reckon I'll get anything?
Old Oct 5, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: Marriot Ambassador ; Delta Diamond ; Avis President's Club ; National Exec Elite
Class Reserved: Intermediate sedan (pay ahead - Amazon Prime linked)
Dates: 10/11 noon to 10/15 early morning

I’ll be with family so hoping for a SUV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.