Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis/Budget: $9.99 airport <==> downtown, many U.S. cities

Avis/Budget: $9.99 airport <==> downtown, many U.S. cities

Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheap 12 Hour One-Way Rental To/From Select US Airports/City Locations

https://www.avis.com/en/offers/us-of...-onewayairport

Seems like a good idea.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:51 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

We did a bit of analysis on the deal here in our blog. Note that the old deal has since expired.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:24 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Already being discussed here.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
Over the weekend, I used the $9.99 for rental from Manhattan to Newark. To reiterate a previous post, the rental contract says to return with the same fuel level but the check in agent doesn't seem prompted to check the fuel level upon return.

I​​ had asked to clarify the rental agreement but the agent in Manhattan didn't know and didn't really care. The rental agreement also says unlimited mileage but I thought there was a limit. I refueled before return and wasted $10 on gas.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:08 am
Original Member

In this case, the rental agreement is given bad advice. Fuel is indeed included. Miles is 150 included. Brooklyn also participates despite not being listed on offer website.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wyseson
Over the weekend, I used the $9.99 for rental from Manhattan to Newark. To reiterate a previous post, the rental contract says to return with the same fuel level but the check in agent doesn't seem prompted to check the fuel level upon return.

I​​ had asked to clarify the rental agreement but the agent in Manhattan didn't know and didn't really care. The rental agreement also says unlimited mileage but I thought there was a limit. I refueled before return and wasted $10 on gas.
A glance at the offer page at budget.com or avis.com would reveal that the first tank of gas is included, but that only 150 miles are free;

https://www.budget.com/en/offers/us-...-onewayairport

If your rental agreement says something else, and that caused you to needlessly purchase gas, then I think you have a case for reimbursement of your $10. Submit a complaint to Avis or Budget Customer Service with your gas receipt.

​​​​​​
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
In this case, the rental agreement is given bad advice. Fuel is indeed included. Miles is 150 included. Brooklyn also participates despite not being listed on offer website.
I wonder if this is to compete with the "Car Sharing" stuff like Zipcar or Cars2Go which limits your mileage but is free gas.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:34 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
I wonder if this is to compete with the "Car Sharing" stuff like Zipcar or Cars2Go which limits your mileage but is free gas.
It doesn't likely have anything to do with car sharing. It is primarily to move the cars to where the demand is. At best, they break even on these rentals. They have a predictable and consistent oversupply at the airport over the weekends when business travelers are not in town, and they would like to move those vehicles into the city to meet the demands of leisure renters. The reverse is true once the weekend is over and they need to move those vehicles back to the airport. By having the customers move the vehicles for them it saves them the time and expense.
seawolf and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
This discount was nice while it lasted for me. Sometime in the last month all DC airports / locations have been quietly pulled from the list of participating cities and the rates no longer appear in search results. Anyone else have their city disappear recently?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:34 am

I have seen cases where a city on the list doesn't quote the special rate. I have also seen cases where a city not on the list does offer the rate, but only on certain dates and only in one direction- either from the airport to downtown or the reverse, but not both on either side of the weekend. Sometimes only Avis or Budget participates, but not both.

I presume this is because not all regions have the same flow. Maybe people with flat corporate rates are constantly picking up cars from downtown and returning them to the airport, so there's really no need for one way specials to send even more cars there. In contrast, cars need to rebalance in the opposite direction.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:10 am
Original Member

Brooklyn participates despite not listed at:
https://www.avis.com/en/offers/us-of...-onewayairport
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN, Hyatt, HHonors, Avis Pref+
Does anyone have experience doing a late night pickup? I have a couple flights arriving 11:30-45 pm on a Friday and would get bags and take shuttle to pick up car. If I make the reservation for an 11:45pm pickup but don't pick up until after midnight due to shuttle, flight delay, etc., will I no longer be eligible for the 9.99 rate? At which point an Uber or cab would be better.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I did this last Friday from EWR -> NYC. I needed to pick up a lot of wine from a Costco in New Jersey for a party. The miles still haven't posted to my account. How long does this usually take?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
I did this last Friday from EWR -> NYC. I needed to pick up a lot of wine from a Costco in New Jersey for a party. The miles still haven't posted to my account. How long does this usually take?
It's not unusual for it to take a couple of weeks for the miles to post. Does your AAdvantage number and an estimated number of miles earned show on the receipt you got when you returned the car to Manhattan?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by guv1976
It's not unusual for it to take a couple of weeks for the miles to post. Does your AAdvantage number and an estimated number of miles earned show on the receipt you got when you returned the car to Manhattan?
Yes and it said 500 miles, I'm Executive Platinum and expecting the 1,250 miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.