Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Is it common for avis to charge fuel charge out of no where?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it common for avis to charge fuel charge out of no where?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
I just got hit with this yesterday for the 1st time at AUS when returning. No receipt given ofcourse, no one inside to provide receipt at Preffered desk. Told the guy I returned it full tank, he didn't ask to see the receipt. It is only $5 but still feel cheated by this practice. Is calling customer service the best way to pursue this? FYI: I am Preferred but not like that makes any difference.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by miles_navigator
I just got hit with this yesterday for the 1st time at AUS when returning. No receipt given ofcourse, no one inside to provide receipt at Preffered desk. Told the guy I returned it full tank, he didn't ask to see the receipt. It is only $5 but still feel cheated by this practice. Is calling customer service the best way to pursue this? FYI: I am Preferred but not like that makes any difference.
I emailed customer service with proof the tank was returned full (photographed everything as we werw returning car out of hour with no representative present).

Gave them 14 days in writing to fix the issue (refund me the money).

If not, I would initiate a chargeback with the evidence I had.

It's definitely a scheme to extract more revenue and I suspect they will eventually be taken to court in the UK as this breaches consumer laws (the onus is on them to prove and not on the consumer).

This is all likely related to the financial problems they had last year, so they are now trying ro recoup those losses and pay down debt via this new dubious revenue stream.

If you have photograohic proof or a receipt for filling the tank (should be on your cc of debit card) I would totally fight this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, DL - DM, UA - GS
Yes, common

Returned my car yesterday with a full tank but was in a hurry to get to my flight. I looked at my receipt just now and saw a $13.99 fuel charge. We had 3 cars out 3 different reservations and myself and another renter got the same thing but one didn't have any. All rentals were identical.

It is now 5 years later, and I'm here to tell you, it is quite common. This happens with the majority of my rentals with Avis or Budget. Even though I make it very clear when I return that I replaced the fuel I used. I get the impression this is part of their business model. Add the fuel charge and hope for some of the customers not to notice it. I'm tempted to look for an attorney who is willing to file a class-action lawsuit.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Returned a vehicle last week with a full tank of fuel. Noticed on the receipt that there was a "Fuel Service" fee of $58.76. I contacted the location immediately upon noticing this -- they checked the vehicle, which was still on site, and confirmed that the tank was full but said they would need to send an email "to corporate" because they could not reverse the fee. I now also have an email into customer service because it is nearly a week later and it still hasn't been resolved.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I got slapped with a bogus $18 fuel service fee upon returning a vehicle last week with a full tank. Called the branch twice and nobody picked up, so I disputed that amount on my credit card. Whether it was the small amount being disputed or my sheer luck, Chase decided it wasn't even going to investigate and issued me a permanent credit right away.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Well, nearly 2 weeks later and still no resolution. May be time to call my credit card...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 2:16 pm

Just got hit with a bogus charge of $21.25 at DFW when I filled up at the corner gas station at the airport itself.

I honestly believe it has to do with the laziness of the person checking in the car, they didn't even get in the car to check mileage or fuel when I returned the car.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Billy910
Just got hit with a bogus charge of $21.25 at DFW when I filled up at the corner gas station at the airport itself.

I honestly believe it has to do with the laziness of the person checking in the car, they didn't even get in the car to check mileage or fuel when I returned the car.
Two likely things:

Avis Fuel Surcharge Master Thread

or

Gas tank level "sensor"?

David
Old May 10, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
I returned a car rental at Budget a few weeks ago. Today, I looked at my bill and see a 1 gallon fuel charge for $9.99. I called up Budget and they said they will removed it. I told them gas station was 1.4 miles away, and I took pictures of the instruments to show it is beyond "F" on fuel gauge. She didn't ask for proof or anything.

I never had this happened before at any car rental.
Old May 12, 2022, 10:24 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
glad I found this..I had 4 rentals (prepaid) with avis and 3 of the 3 got charged extra .when I looked at the receipts yesterday(3months after the feb rental) i discovered 3 of the 4 had been charged a refuel charge (16.99) even though I had refueled it just before return every time.the one not charged was the only one of long duration...this seems like a scam- do I have any way to claim back?
Old May 15, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
glad I found this..I had 4 rentals (prepaid) with avis and 3 of the 3 got charged extra .when I looked at the receipts yesterday(3months after the feb rental) i discovered 3 of the 4 had been charged a refuel charge (16.99) even though I had refueled it just before return every time.the one not charged was the only one of long duration...this seems like a scam- do I have any way to claim back?
I check my receipts every time I rent, comparing the amount charged against the reservation email. I simply don’t trust Avis… whether intentional or just bad IT, what is a “bug” for me is clearly a “feature” for Avis.

Email [email protected] - if you have the fuel receipt, even better. I don’t know if there’s a “statute of limitations” (so to speak), but it can’t hurt to try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.