FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   Avis's fraudulent Damage Claim-AMEX primary coverage issue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/1792234-aviss-fraudulent-damage-claim-amex-primary-coverage-issue.html)

Naser Imran Hossain Sep 21, 2016 2:37 pm

Avis's fraudulent Damage Claim-AMEX primary coverage issue

On August 2nd, 2016 I was contacted by Viking Payments on behalf of Avis Rental services about a damage to a rental, the period of rental was from July1-July5, 2016 . Neither me nor any of the passengers recognized any of the damages that they were claiming (total amount claimed $2075.27), we had even down a walk around when we returned the car- and it had no damages what-so-ever. But since we had premium rental car protection through my American Express Everyday card- we opened a renter's insurance claim through AMEX anyway, assuming it wouldn't be a big hassle. Also, since AVIS was already a month late to inform us about the damage claim, we didn't even have the sign-out receipt. AMEX got in contact with Vikings to start processing the claim and they requested a couple of documents. Viking was unable or unwilling to provide all the protocol documents that AMEX requested that is required by any insurance processors, namely Check in / Check out slips,
Accident / Incident report, Prior condition report and Fleet Utilization Log or proof of payment for completed repairs. AMEX reached back to me saying that Viking wasn't providing the documents, so I got in contact with Viking to know why they are not providing all the necessary documents and they started bullying me to pay up with my own money- threatening to send my file to collections if I don't pay up and almost refusing to deal with my legitimate AMEX insurance agent. I contacted Avis as well, but their response was simply to forward me to Viking payments again saying they are the ones who are in complete charge of the claim processing now. This is a deliberate breach of trust and consumer rights on behalf of Avis and Vikings and I would like to have some justice served- but I don't know what I should do :( Should I seek legal options? Why wouldn't Avis provide all the documents? Any help is appreciated

Thanks

rcspeirs Sep 23, 2016 12:45 am

You have not said where this happened. Location affects the process and your options. For example, in Europe, rental companies will never deal with third parties (such as Amex), only the customer.

Naser Imran Hossain Sep 23, 2016 7:32 am

Originally Posted by rcspeirs (Post 27250736)
You have not said where this happened. Location affects the process and your options. For example, in Europe, rental companies will never deal with third parties (such as Amex), only the customer.

Hi,

Sorry I forgot to mention. This rental was in Houston, Texas, USA. I think American Express is trying their best to deal with the claims. But since viking/avis is not providing all the documents that they need- the case is stuck in limbo!

guv1976 Sep 24, 2016 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Naser Imran Hossain (Post 27251797)
Hi,

Sorry I forgot to mention. This rental was in Houston, Texas, USA. I think American Express is trying their best to deal with the claims. But since viking/avis is not providing all the documents that they need- the case is stuck in limbo!

Have you attempted to obtain the documents Amex needs by contacting Avis -- not Viking -- yourself? Do the terms of your Amex coverage put the onus on *you* to obtain/provide the required documents?

guv1976 Sep 24, 2016 11:37 am

Also, did an Avis agent check the car in in your presence when you returned it, and provide a receipt for the rental on the spot? Or did you drop the car in a return lot, and then go inside to a counter to get your receipt?

Naser Imran Hossain Sep 24, 2016 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 27257453)
Have you attempted to obtain the documents Amex needs by contacting Avis -- not Viking -- yourself? Do the terms of your Amex coverage put the onus on *you* to obtain/provide the required documents?

Hi,

I have contacted Avis, but all they ever tell me is that they are no longer responsible for providing any documents to me, that they have handed over all possible documents and all responsibility to Viking Payments. I have contacted Avis several times on multiple channels, but this is all they ever tell me.

When I returned the car, an Avis agent did check the car and gave me a receipt. I kept the receipt for 15-20 days, but then threw it away. Viking contacted me 35 days after I had turned in the rental. So I no longer had the receipt. Didn't know I would have to keep my receipt for this long!!

I feel helpless :( American express is telling me that they can't provide the protection without all the necessary documents per their policy and Viking/Avis is *not providing all the necessary documents. Don't know how this will turn out.

guv1976 Sep 24, 2016 3:11 pm

If you go to Avis.com, and click on the "Customer Service" tab, you should be able to print a copy of a past rental receipt. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

papyPiHi Sep 26, 2016 3:43 am

Send viking a lawyerish letter threatening to sue if the keep on witholding those documents. I've found that it works well with american companies like this.
Normally, if you still have the booking in your e-mail, or if you are Avis Preferred, Pref plus or JCrez club, you should find the invoice and receipt in your account.

Dave Noble Sep 26, 2016 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Naser Imran Hossain (Post 27258058)
Hi,

I have contacted Avis, but all they ever tell me is that they are no longer responsible for providing any documents to me, that they have handed over all possible documents and all responsibility to Viking Payments. I have contacted Avis several times on multiple channels, but this is all they ever tell me.

When I returned the car, an Avis agent did check the car and gave me a receipt. I kept the receipt for 15-20 days, but then threw it away. Viking contacted me 35 days after I had turned in the rental. So I no longer had the receipt. Didn't know I would have to keep my receipt for this long!!

I feel helpless :( American express is telling me that they can't provide the protection without all the necessary documents per their policy and Viking/Avis is *not providing all the necessary documents. Don't know how this will turn out.

Just write to the company and inform it that if it provides the documentation required ( and detail it ) , that you will be able to pay the invoice

Also inform the company that all communication is to be via mail - that way its agents cannot hassle you on the telephone and there is a paper trail

It would them be up to the company to try to sue for the amount due

Originally Posted by papyPiHi (Post 27264009)
Send viking a lawyerish letter threatening to sue if the keep on witholding those documents. I've found that it works well with american companies like this.

There seems to be no reason to do that - it is the company that wants the money - what would there be to sue for?

Clipper801 Sep 26, 2016 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Naser Imran Hossain (Post 27251797)
Hi,

Was this at the airport?

For while already (at least a few years) - I have read in different forums that many have reported similar experience like yours but most seemed to be at non-corporate locations.

Naser Imran Hossain Sep 27, 2016 3:26 pm

Hi All,

So I have good news :) After following an advice I found on another forum, I opted to contact the executive contacts at Avis (as mentioned here). I contacted all of the contacts and someone by the name of James Tucker replied. He was an Executive Resolution Coordinator and he said that he has escalated the case and will update me in a few days. So two days after that, he sends me an email saying that the accident claim was a mistake on their end and that they were very sorry. He also went ahead and mentioned that the case was now closed and the appropriate Avis personnel have been notified.

Now that that's done, do you guys think I should pursue this any further? I mean legally that is- for getting harassed by Avis or their insurance agent Viking Payments. This was an absolute nightmare for me as I was not seeing any way out of this mess! American Express flat out put my case on hold today citing that they have not received all the necessary documents from Avis and had to put the case on hold. This was very scary, as I could have been easily victimized by Viking had I not made the extra effort to research and contact the executive contacts.

Please advice.

PS: To answer some of the questions, this was indeed an airport-to-airport rental.

kettle1 Sep 27, 2016 6:49 pm

It sounds like this has been resolved. Just drop it.

biggestbopper Oct 3, 2016 12:47 am

One option would be to talk to a local lawyer who is a member of the National Association of Consumer Advocates, perhaps one with some knowledge of class actions. If it happened to you it probably also happened to many others. http://www.consumeradvocates.org/for-consumers