Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2016-2017: The "What car/upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread

2016-2017: The "What car/upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
Reservation for a Premium SUV at CLT. I'm a PC. I suspect the only upgrade possible would be to a luxury vehicle? Would love an X5 or something but not sure if that would comfortably hold the 5 in our party.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:21 pm

love my Edge Limited, but prefer fuel efficiency for this trip of 1000+ miles.

That said, would the Edge (or other class?) be a free upgrade or extra $x/day?

I will try to find Titanium Escape edition.

thank you so much for the reply/info.
Originally Posted by Redwood839
Try and find one that has a Titanium badge and asked the preferred desk to change you to it, works most of the time. You can also try your luck at finding an Edge Titanium.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I've never paid for upgrades at AVIS lol. I just try my luck, if they say no then I just walk away.

Only time was for a XTS.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:12 pm

Im preferred plus and I reserved a BMW x5 at a local neighborhood Avis using my corp code for the weekend in 2 weeks since I don't feel like going to the airport to pickup/dropoff. It was also significantly cheaper to book at my local Avis.

I only want a BMW x5 and would only settle for a gl450 Mercedes (doubt ID get that). Other then that, such as a infinity qx70, I don't want. When the day arrives to pick up and it is indeed not what I wanted.... Would I be able to cancel even if i have to complain and not get charged a fee? Or would they be able to send me to a Avis airport location to swap it out to what I want and still be able to return to my local Avis fee-free? Any expierences?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Florida Drive out. Normal this time of year.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Anyone rent from CMH (Columbus, OH) lately? Wondering what type of high end vehicles they typically have on the lot. I prefer Infiniti's, but it seems like a lot of locations don't stock them.
Old May 11, 2016, 11:01 am

Standard SUV (booked at avis.com using Costco discount code [yes, I'm a Costco member])
Picking up the morning of Memorial Day. Also, one-way rental to Evanston, IL.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:37 pm

Why on earth would anyone want a crappy BMW? So much better choices out there than that companies products
Old May 11, 2016, 3:21 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by GNALUZU
Anyone rent from CMH (Columbus, OH) lately? Wondering what type of high end vehicles they typically have on the lot. I prefer Infiniti's, but it seems like a lot of locations don't stock them.
I used to frequent there often, but haven't lately. Typically as a CHM, I've received a Caddy or Explorer-type SUV, nothing exotic.

I've only seen about 10-12 Infinitis in the last year of renting weekly. Either a QX60 or QX80, and they're well worn by now.

Originally Posted by abefroman329
Standard SUV (booked at avis.com using Costco discount code [yes, I'm a Costco member])
Picking up the morning of Memorial Day. Also, one-way rental to Evanston, IL.
Local stations are a crapshoot. Typically little selection, higher miles and few upgrades. However, you could get lucky & end up with something they need to send 1-way. Don't get your hopes up, though.
Old May 12, 2016, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Local stations are a crapshoot. Typically little selection, higher miles and few upgrades. However, you could get lucky & end up with something they need to send 1-way. Don't get your hopes up, though.
Based on the stories I've read, I'd consider myself lucky to get something that isn't smaller than a Standard SUV.
Old May 12, 2016, 9:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by AlanA
Why on earth would anyone want a crappy BMW? So much better choices out there than that companies products
It's called "personal preference".

I'd take a BMW with 20k miles in a heartbeat over a brand new Cadillac XTS.
Old May 12, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!

+1
Old May 24, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
Loc: LIS
Date: Early July
Reserve: Small and cheap, Ie. VW Up! or Renault Clio

Just curious if I would get anything upgrade wise? Doesn't seem to be any info on this international location in any thread in terms of upgrades or friendliness towards Avis Preferred members.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:55 am

[I wouldn't rent] any BMW, a company who destroyed thousands of British jobs and the family were heavily into the Nazi Party.
I wouldny wee on a BMW if it was on fire (again, personal preference)

Last edited by IAHtraveler; May 25, 2016 at 8:42 pm Reason: Italicized wording changed by moderator to remove personal attack.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
Loc: OGG
Date: Early June, Saturday afternoon arrival
Reserve: Full-size

I'll throw this out there...Going to Maui in a couple with the family (5 total). Counting on an Edge or something bigger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.