Search

LAX fail: Dec. 26, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
LAX fail: Dec. 26, 2015

Not a good day today at LAX for Avis. Dozens of people lined up to pick up cars that were not there. As the Seinfeld episode went, anyone can take reservations -- the key is that you hold the reservations.

With no communication to everyone in line, and no reason to think we'd get out of there within a hour, I gave up and got an Uber.

I wonder if Avis will offer everyone some compensation. They messed with a lot of customers there today.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dhuey
They messed with a lot of customers there today.
They only real way to combat this is to lower or eliminate the number of no-shows they normally have. The only good way to do this is to involve cancellation fees, or minimum cancel times, much like hotels do. Marriott now has a 24hr cancellation period for all stays. You can be sure more people are now canceling their hotels 1 day prior than when it was a 6pm "day of" rule.

So - we can give up some flexibility for better availability. Or, a few times a year, you might have to wait for a car for a bit until people return them. Its a trade-off.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by bkafrick
They only real way to combat this is to lower or eliminate the number of no-shows they normally have.
What happened last Saturday was way more than fewer no-shows than projected. There were hardly any cars in that huge lot, and dozens of people waiting to pick up their reserved cars. I'm guessing this was some sort of IT failure.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dhuey
There were hardly any cars in that huge lot, and dozens of people waiting to pick up their reserved cars. I'm guessing this was some sort of IT failure.
The "huge lot" is a small portion of the amount of cars they'll have available. Often times, its just a problem of them needing to refill the pickup lot from their auxiliary lots.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by bkafrick
They only real way to combat this is to lower or eliminate the number of no-shows they normally have. The only good way to do this is to involve cancellation fees, or minimum cancel times, much like hotels do. Marriott now has a 24hr cancellation period for all stays. You can be sure more people are now canceling their hotels 1 day prior than when it was a 6pm "day of" rule.

So - we can give up some flexibility for better availability. Or, a few times a year, you might have to wait for a car for a bit until people return them. Its a trade-off.
I honestly don't see the issue with trading flexibility for reliability and availability. It's a two way street - if we want rental firms to guarantee we have a car to drive away then it's surely fair we guarantee we will show for that car.

Obviously everyone needs a bit of flex from time to time but perhaps flexibility should come at a slight premium with the advantage being you can rely on there always being a car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.