Avis Kona airport require credit card from additional driver

Old Jul 29, 15, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
Avis Kona airport require credit card from additional driver

Picked up a premium class car (stated as Taurus, but thankfully ended up being a Cadillac ATS 2.0T) yesterday from Kona airport as a preferred member. Wanted to add my travel mate as an additional driver (at the exorbitant charge of $13 a day plus taxes/charges) - he was asked for a credit card, which he currently doesn't have, due to losing his wallet (which he found, but had cancelled cards, whilst overseas). Avis then refused to add him as an additional driver, despite having my card on file. His credit card was not required when we rented from LAX three years ago!

Has there been a change in Avis policy? Or is this something peculiar to Kona/Hawaii? Or was the agent incorrect? Or were we just lucky at LAX?

We are renting another car at Maui airport in a few days time and hoping this does not happen there.
Old Jul 29, 15, 8:02 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
That's been policy for quite awhile now. Find it here in the T&Cs. CA has different legislation and no fees.

For future reservations, well, just look at this part of the T&Cs:
Spouse/Domestic Partner: If the renter states that the additional driver (regardless of sex) is his/her spouse, mate, life companion, significant other, domestic life partner, live-in, or uses another similar expression, and if the individual is 25 or older, he/she may, with the renter's permission, drive the vehicle. They need not be present at the time of rental to provide credit identification or complete the additional driver form.

No fee for spouses, mates, life companions, significant others, domestic life partners, live-ins, either.
Old Jul 29, 15, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
Originally Posted by bhomburg View Post
That's been policy for quite awhile now. Find it here in the T&Cs. CA has different legislation and no fees.

For future reservations, well, just look at this part of the T&Cs:
Spouse/Domestic Partner: If the renter states that the additional driver (regardless of sex) is his/her spouse, mate, life companion, significant other, domestic life partner, live-in, or uses another similar expression, and if the individual is 25 or older, he/she may, with the renter's permission, drive the vehicle. They need not be present at the time of rental to provide credit identification or complete the additional driver form.

No fee for spouses, mates, life companions, significant others, domestic life partners, live-ins, either.
Thanks for the link to the T&C's. If I'm reading them correctly, that requirement does not apply to us if we supply a passport and return ticket (as we are Australians).

Also, just to clarify, my use of the term 'mate' was in the Australian way, meaning a friend, not in the Avis way! Suspect you knew that though!
Old Jul 29, 15, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Oh yes. Just sayin' that when at the counter in Maui, use it the Avis way
Old Aug 1, 15, 1:43 pm

Programs: Avis First, AA plebian :(
This is not the case at any of the south Florida stations I've rented at with an additional driver. The written policy does allow for it, but they don't ask.

Search this Thread