FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   premium car rental unlimited miles - oil change? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/1698373-premium-car-rental-unlimited-miles-oil-change.html)

futbol90x Jul 28, 2015 10:41 am

premium car rental unlimited miles - oil change?

I plan on driving the rental around 5k miles. If the car I'm driving needs an oil change do I just exchange the car at a different location?

guv1976 Jul 28, 2015 11:29 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by futbol90x
I plan on driving the rental around 5k miles. If the car I'm driving needs an oil change do I just exchange the car at a different location?

That's one possibility. Discuss this with the rental agency when you pick up the car. They might authorize you to get the oil changed while you are on the road, and reimburse you for the cost -- with a receipt, of course.

phalkon30 Jul 28, 2015 2:37 pm

A co-worker of mine had a rental for over a month, requiring two oil changes. He called and asked, they sent him to an authorized oil change place and had it billed directly to Avis. All he had to do was drive it there and get it done.

Either way, you should probably just call the Avis location you'll be renting from and see what they want you to do. They may give you a car that's just been changed, and most cars don't need one under 7,500 or 10,000 miles now.

AdMEL Jul 29, 2015 3:23 am

Interesting topic. The car (Cadillac ATS) I picked up from Kona airport yesterday for a 4 day rental has a message on the driver info display saying oil needs changing soon. I figured it was close but not due, but when I looked further into the menu it says oil life of 0%. Wasn't planning on worrying about it, but have already racked up almost 400 miles!

hec13 Aug 21, 2015 4:37 pm

A lot of times techs forget to clear the vehicle displays when the oil changes are done. Sure bet way to determine if the car needs one or not is to look for a rectangular label on either the driver's door edge or the driver's door jamb, with multiple mileage numbers and empty slots for more numbers (depending how old the car is). Techs are required to write on that label the mileage at which the next oil change is due for that particular car.

thoiboi Sep 1, 2015 8:08 am

Oil changes aren't the user's responsibility! Just drive it, not like the car is going to die on you :)

funwizard Sep 4, 2015 12:42 pm

Noob here. Not sure if this is the right place for this question.
Question of premium and luxury rentals. Jus curious
Do you guys take the Avis insurance while renting these cars ? as most of the luxury cards are not covered by credit card insurance.

guv1976 Sep 4, 2015 4:07 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by funwizard
Noob here. Not sure if this is the right place for this question.
Question of premium and luxury rentals. Jus curious
Do you guys take the Avis insurance while renting these cars ? as most of the luxury cards are not covered by credit card insurance.

This question probably belongs in the "Rental Car Discussion" thread, as it really can apply to rentals from any company.

Are you talking about a one-day rental or a multi-day rental? And how expensive a car? > $75k? > $100K?

funwizard Sep 4, 2015 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 25378792)

This question probably belongs in the "Rental Car Discussion" thread, as it really can apply to rentals from any company.

Are you talking about a one-day rental or a multi-day rental? And how expensive a car? > $75k? > $100K?

apologize for the wrong thread. Would like to know for multi day rental for BMW/Cadillac/Mercedes etc as im planning to rent it. Not worried about >100k
Usually Avis cc or pc members should rent these often , do they purchase rental seperately or use their credit card one.

guv1976 Sep 4, 2015 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by funwizard

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 25378792)

apologize for the wrong thread. Would like to know for multi day rental for BMW/Cadillac/Mercedes etc as im planning to rent it. Not worried about >100k
Usually Avis cc or pc members should rent these often , do they purchase rental seperately or use their credit card one.

Check your credit-card coverage carefully. While the Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Freedom cards exclude coverage for exotic or expensive cars, it indicates that "selected" models of BMW, Cadillac, Lincoln, and Mercedes-Benz are covered.

Another option, if you have any Amex-issued card (including no-annual-fee cards like the Hilton HHonors Amex), is to enroll in Amex's Premium Car Rental Insurance. For $24.95. per rental (up to a 42-consecutive-day rental), you get $100,000 of primary loss/damage coverage.