FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   AVIS' Dirty Tricks [adding Wizard # causes rate change] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/1566513-avis-dirty-tricks-adding-wizard-causes-rate-change.html)

jamgirl Apr 5, 2014 4:38 am

AVIS' Dirty Tricks [adding Wizard # causes rate change]

Made a reservation with Avis for $700 2 months ago.
Yesterday after signing up for a Wizard Number, we call to link
this reservation to the MyAvis account .
No problem says the agent and I'll send you a confirmation email.
Email shows our reservation is now $1400 :mad:
We made no changes to the car, dates, times, GPS ... nothing was
changed. Only adding the Wizard #.
I call back and the same guy transfers me to some rude customer
service agent who says 'well that's the way it works if you modify your
reservation. You get today's rate'. :mad:
Shouldn't your 'expert reservation agent' have told me this before
adding the wizard # ? She says 'well you should have known that was
a modification' :mad:
She says she will start a case number for me but I'll have to pay the $1400 and then they will refund me $700. Are you &*@(**_ kidding ? Trust them after that ?
I'll pay Hertz 2 grand before I give Avis 1 dollar :mad:
Avis is really shady !

sz2628 Apr 5, 2014 2:43 pm

They are offering to credit you back the $700, i fail to see what the issue is. If you book a rate that differs from your preferred AWD(discount code) i wouldn't suggest adding it over the phone. When they modify it, your AWD linked with your preferred profile will override any other AWD associated with the reservation.

Most likely you can rebook the same reservation online with the original discount code.

Often1 Apr 5, 2014 2:51 pm

Solution looking for a problem. Hertz won't do it any differently. OP changed the reservation codes and got the new rate. Avis is crediting her for the old rate. Move in.

jamgirl Apr 5, 2014 4:00 pm

How does adding a wizard # change the reservation code anymore than updating my phone # would or adding frequent flyer # to flight res ?

And shouldn't someone be informed of the new rate before the change is made ?
I'm just thankful it happened months before travel and not at the counter like apparently is happening to so many others (google search).
Poor customer service. Honor the rate now not have customer beg for refund later.

sdsearch Apr 6, 2014 8:33 am

Originally Posted by jamgirl (Post 22655241)
I'm just thankful it happened months before travel

Have you verified you cannot book anything close to the $700 rate any more yourself ("pretending" to book from scratch the same way you did originally)? As was mentioned above, it could be rate changes over time, but it could also be a change of AWD. Does the reservation still show the same AWD that it did originally?

Anyway, rates can changes constantly, so be on the lookout. For all you know, it could go down to $600 sometime between now and when you travel. In many locations, I often find the rates go down a couple weeks before the travel date, though then go up even higher a few days before the travel date. So it can pay to check often.

You have your offer of $700 refund to fall back on if you keep the reservation as is, but be on the lookout of whether you could make a new reservation (with your Wizard number already plugged in) of similar value sometimes in the months you say you have left. (Then if you do, and only if you do, cancel the old reservation.)

sz2628 Apr 6, 2014 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by jamgirl (Post 22655241)
How does adding a wizard # change the reservation code anymore than updating my phone # would or adding frequent flyer # to flight res ?

And shouldn't someone be informed of the new rate before the change is made ?
I'm just thankful it happened months before travel and not at the counter like apparently is happening to so many others (google search).
Poor customer service. Honor the rate now not have customer beg for refund later.

Your wizard number has a different discount code (AWD). That's is why the rate changed. You aren't begging for a refund, they have already promised you.

TennisNoob Apr 7, 2014 1:06 am

Avis is trustable and this is totally normal.

I have never experienced such a great rental car company before Avis.
I doubt you'll have any further issues

rcspeirs Apr 7, 2014 6:39 am

I've stopped giving my business to Avis because of this. I often see a Great rate on the website, but as soon as I add my wizard number to the booking form the price goes up. It happens every time. I don't see how that is defensible.
Why would a non wizard customer be offered a better rate than is available to (previously) loyal customers?

TennisNoob Apr 7, 2014 9:22 am

Which type of Avis member are you?

sz2628 Apr 7, 2014 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by rcspeirs (Post 22662560)
I've stopped giving my business to Avis because of this. I often see a Great rate on the website, but as soon as I add my wizard number to the booking form the price goes up. It happens every time. I don't see how that is defensible.
Why would a non wizard customer be offered a better rate than is available to (previously) loyal customers?

Rates are sometimes better based on affiliation (i.e Costco & AAA). Like many preferred customers you have your companies discount code, which are pre negotiated rates.

If you find a cheaper rate online, don't apply your wizard number until you get to the counter, they you won't run into your preferred AWD overriding your current AWD.

IAHtraveler Apr 7, 2014 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob (Post 22661701)
Avis is trustable and this is totally normal.

I have never experienced such a great rental car company before Avis.
I doubt you'll have any further issues

I'm very curious why you say this?!?

TennisNoob Apr 7, 2014 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 22665593)
I'm very curious why you say this?!?

I've been with every car company in the past 20 years, I've never had better service than Avis. Probably though is cause I got free status from Avis.

All the airport counter agents are really helpful. The worst car I would be to get today on a double upgrade from full size is a CTS. Sometimes I get BMW's though I only paid $29 per day.

Avis phone support is really helpful, calling them always gives you the better rate. What they have in there system is different from the online. They also help you play with discounts such as costco, etc.

I never had a charge issue with Avis. I messed up on a travel date, called in drop one date of the travel and no extra charges, same rates.

Obviously the OP is complaining because the rate went up. Rates always go up and down based on the time. Best examples are the holidays.

rcspeirs Apr 8, 2014 12:15 am

"If you find a cheaper rate online, don't apply your wizard number until you get to the counter, they you won't run into your preferred AWD overriding your current AWD."
I've tried that, and that resulted in a higher rate on the car documents than on my reservation. I argued the case, and got the original rate, but it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. It also adds a lot of time and hassle to the collection process, which is exactly what having a wizard number us supposed to remove.
I don't gave a corporate rate or code, I'm an individual who needs to rent a lot and pay my own bills.

sz2628 Apr 8, 2014 4:19 am

Originally Posted by rcspeirs (Post 22668213)
I've tried that, and that resulted in a higher rate on the car documents than on my reservation. I argued the case, and got the original rate, but it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. It also adds a lot of time and hassle to the collection process, which is exactly what having a wizard number us supposed to remove.
I don't gave a corporate rate or code, I'm an individual who needs to rent a lot and pay my own bills.

I have never had an issue. When you make a wizard number you get a generic AWD or you would have your company AWD.

When you apply your wizard number at the time of pick up, just ensure the discount code matches your reservation.

In your case however i would remove the AWD in your profile, and not have a standard one linked. You won't run into anymore of your issues, as it looks like you book based on rate, which would mean different AWD numbers most of the time.

rcspeirs Apr 9, 2014 12:15 am

"In your case however i would remove the AWD in your profile, and not have a standard one linked."
There is no way (on the Avis UK site) to do this - no such option is displayed.