Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed in my car

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Location: London, UK. AA EXP 5MM; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Ambassador Lifetime Platinum, Hertz PC
Disappointed in my car

Hi All;

I am in Tuscany for three weeks over the holiday season, in October I booked a Group H vehicle for the trip, which on the website is quoted as " Group H - BMW 3 Series or similar". When I arrived at Florence airport & asked what car I was being given, I was told an Audi A3, when I queried this I was told that because I had requested an automatic car & needed it for three weeks, this is what I was being given.

Now, it is a nice car, but in my book the Audi equivalent of a BMW 3 series is an Audi A4, not an 1.6 diesel A3, which I consider to be the equivalent of a BMW 1 series.

I am not going to make a big deal out of it, but I feel I have been screwed; so this is the only place I can 'vent'.

Thanks for listening.
N
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You're right... an A3 is the equivalent of a 1-series. But you should have done something at the rental office like insisting on a discount for a lower class vehicle. You might still do that on return or after, but your chances will be less than at the start of the rental...
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Noctilux
Now, it is a nice car, but in my book the Audi equivalent of a BMW 3 series is an Audi A4, not an 1.6 diesel A3, which I consider to be the equivalent of a BMW 1 series
"Or similar" isn't your personal opinion, or the opinion of anyone on this board, or a magazines, or anything....

What "or similar" means, is... any car within the same CLASS you booked.

So if an Audi A3 is CLASS H, you got what you were entitled to. Period.

No whining that you dont believe the A3 is comparable to a BMW 3-series to an agent. That will simply fall on deaf ears.

If an A3 is class H, then, you're done.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Learn to drive a stick. Your world of rental cars will broaden significantly.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by bkafrick
"Or similar" isn't your personal opinion, or the opinion of anyone on this board, or a magazines, or anything....

What "or similar" means, is... any car within the same CLASS you booked.

So if an Audi A3 is CLASS H, you got what you were entitled to. Period.

No whining that you dont believe the A3 is comparable to a BMW 3-series to an agent. That will simply fall on deaf ears.

If an A3 is class H, then, you're done.
Where does one find this definition?

I'd be quite surprised if the A3 and the 3 series are in the same class, even by whatever guide Avis are using.

The OP was jipped.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by noah
Learn to drive a stick. Your world of rental cars will broaden significantly.
Easier said than done... especially if you're in the US.

Originally Posted by sapman986
Where does one find this definition?

I'd be quite surprised if the A3 and the 3 series are in the same class, even by whatever guide Avis are using.

The OP was jipped.
Me too. Then again, the Malibu and Impala are in the same class. So are the Ford Focus and Fiesta. Go figure

-J.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 1:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That one is simply answered: https://www.avis.com/car-rental/cont...S00&country=IT

Avis doesn't seem to think they are in the same class (Intermediate vs Premium).
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Originally Posted by RTW1
That one is simply answered: https://www.avis.com/car-rental/cont...S00&country=IT

Avis doesn't seem to think they are in the same class (Intermediate vs Premium).
True, but both are listed as manual. Automatics only seem offered in compact and luxury.

May have been on of the few automatics on the lot.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RTW1
So at the very least, you should have been given a lower rate since you took a vehicle in a lower class.

I dont think you have much leg to stand on. On the Italy car guide, as others have noted, the H-Class (BMW 3-series) is only listed in manual transmission. So, since you required automatic, they gave you what they had in automatic.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:45 pm

So at the very least, you should have been given a lower rate since you took a vehicle in a lower class.

I dont think you have much leg to stand on. On the Italy car guide, as others have noted, the H-Class (BMW 3-series) is only listed in manual transmission. So, since you required automatic, they gave you what they had in automatic.
If the manual 3 series is listed as a class above the manual A3, I think it is reasonable to argue that the auto 3 Series should be a class above the auto A3.

Were I in your position, I would push for some compensation as a result.

In Europe the perceived differences between cars are typically more marked than in the US.

Though I will say that I have received both an A3 and a Merc B Class instead of an A4/3 series/C Class in a couple of countries in Europe and it never really bothered me. Occasionally it works the other way. (e.g. - a Q5 instead of a Rav4 type vehicle in Greece last year)
Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:57 pm

If the manual 3 series is listed as a class above the manual A3, I think it is reasonable to argue that the auto 3 Series should be a class above the auto A3.

Were I in your position, I would push for some compensation as a result.
You won't be able to argue that a car should be in a different class. The cars are classified as they are. No amount of complaining is going to have Avis reclassify them.

And requesting "compensation" is laughable. The best you'll get is to ask for the rate of the class of vehicle you received as opposed to the one you reserved.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:00 am

You won't be able to argue that a car should be in a different class. The cars are classified as they are. No amount of complaining is going to have Avis reclassify them.
Again, I'll ask: show us where these are classified. The closest anyone has shown so far is the manual versions of each of these cars are shown as examples of different classes. If you can't show they are in the same class, your argument makes little sense.

And requesting "compensation" is laughable. The best you'll get is to ask for the rate of the class of vehicle you received as opposed to the one you reserved.
Not sure what you find so laughable. That is exactly what I mean by compensation. I have been charged for a lower class of car than I booked many times. There's no reason this cannot be done after the fact. Just because you have not done this does not mean it cannot be done.

Also, unless you represent Avis in some official capacity, absolute statements like "The best you'll get is XYZ" is not particularly helpful to the OP.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:35 pm

show us where these are classified. The closest anyone has shown so far is the manual versions of each of these cars are shown as examples of different classes. If you can't show they are in the same class, your argument makes little sense.
You want to know what cars are what class? Why don't you simply call AVIS. There's no "proof" online except whats been providing, and I dont know why I need to provide you proof of anything. But, presuming they *are* different classes, which makes sense, then you won't be able to argue that they *should* be a different class than Avis already has them in.

Also, unless you represent Avis in some official capacity, absolute statements like "The best you'll get is XYZ" is not particularly helpful to the OP.
Have you been to Flyertalk before? Its all about speculation from experience. This isnt some official blog from Avis. I'm not sure your advice is any more particularly helpful, unless you're some Avis representative in that case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.