Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAHtraveler
Recently, there has been a run of complaints on Avis charging for partial gallons of fuel after the rental return. I'm merging all similar threads into this forum for future discussion.

Some Avis cars now have a method to determine fuel level to the 0.1 gallons. In these cars, they take (fuel out) - (fuel in) and charge you their posted rate for the difference. Even though you might have filled up 2 miles from the station, you could be on the hook for fuel. The fuel fees typically appear after the rental is closed. It seems only cars with "VR" stickers on the driver's side window have this capability so it might be worth trying to avoid these vehicles.

Update on 9/15: It's called Zibox and the article is HERE.

Note: Some comments might appear out of order since a few threads were merged.
Print Wikipost

Avis Fuel Surcharge Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: All
They are now charging a $15.99 charge for vehicles driven less than 75 miles.

Time to get them to stop this
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:02 am

Avis' response "I do apologize. We have a program for business travelers who do not want to fill before returning and travel less than 75 miles for a rental. Our system automatically adds to contracts is qualifies for. If you travel less than 75 miles and do fill, just remind your agent to check and remove this. Again, I sincerely apologize for any frustration this caused."

They Did credit me, however how many of these charges are people paying for because their company is footing the bill?

I'll sign a class action for this. And regrettably I will likely have to stop using Avis.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:03 am

Did you throw him a $100?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
Yesterday I dropped off a passenger van at Avis-Boston Logan with a full tank of gas. I now notice on the receipt that there is a $75.87 fuel charge, claiming 6/8 full on return. Bogus, and I wonder if this was deliberate. I've put in a request for refund, and given them screenshots of my fuel charges on my Amex.

Avis could get into very serious trouble if there is any sort of whispering from managers to return staff that they should engage in this sort of conduct. All it takes is one whistle-blower in a situation like that.

The first time I had an issue with them was a rental pickup that I drove from Central Massachusetts to Watertown, NY and back. The Interesting part is that along the way to Watertown, we discovered that the passengers interior door handle did not work. (My now Ex-Wife was NOT happy about this and demanded we change vehicles) So I drive to Syracuse Airport, more than an hour out of my way due to weather and swapped the truck. I of course fueled it BEFORE I went to drop it off. Picked up the new truck and went on my way.

After finishing the trip in the marginally better pickup and returning it to the location I picked up the first one.

I didn't think much about it. I filled the truck LITERALLY .8 miles own the street and drove straight to the location.

Two days later I notice my bill. They charged me for full tank of fuel in the Syracuse drop-off AND in the Marlborough MA dropoff. Both of which were full (within 3 miles of driving total) when I dropped them off.

It took me two days of arguing with Avis about this. In the end, I produced my receipts and they credited me the $417 and change they charged me for Fuel int he two trucks as well as the entire cost of the rental for a weekend.

I cannot believe that they are getting away with this in todays day and age where everything is transparent.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by glennemay
I cannot believe that they are getting away with this in todays day and age where everything is transparent.
Any company that does this sort of thing deliberately would be taking a humongous risk. That's seriously criminal conduct. I am not accusing Avis of that, but at a certain point the frequency of fuel gauge mistakes -- in Avis's favor -- gets really suspicious. All it takes is one disgruntled employee to blow the whistle.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Any company that does this sort of thing deliberately would be taking a humongous risk. That's seriously criminal conduct. I am not accusing Avis of that, but at a certain point the frequency of fuel gauge mistakes -- in Avis's favor -- gets really suspicious. All it takes is one disgruntled employee to blow the whistle.
In conversations with more than one of the employees. I have received identical information. This is WRITTEN quote directly from their Twitter folks.

"I do apologize. We have a program for business travelers who do not want to fill before returning and travel less than 75 miles for a rental. Our system automatically adds to contracts is qualifies for. If you travel less than 75 miles and do fill, just remind your agent to check and remove this. Again, I sincerely apologize for any frustration this caused. ~MJ"

I don't know what else to say. But that seems pretty definitive to me.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by glennemay
In conversations with more than one of the employees. I have received identical information. This is WRITTEN quote directly from their Twitter folks.

"I do apologize. We have a program for business travelers who do not want to fill before returning and travel less than 75 miles for a rental. Our system automatically adds to contracts is qualifies for. If you travel less than 75 miles and do fill, just remind your agent to check and remove this. Again, I sincerely apologize for any frustration this caused. ~MJ"

I don't know what else to say. But that seems pretty definitive to me.
All that is, is the old "ezfuel" program where they charge a flat $15 refueling fee when the vehicle is driven less than 75 miles... might not be a bad deal if you are down in CA with $4+/gallon gas and rent a big 15 MPG van and drive it 70 miles. Not such a great deal if you are in the midwest or south with less than $3/gallon gas and rent a little 40 MPG economy car and drive it 70 miles.
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Yesterday in SLC the same thing happened. I drove 140 miles in 6 hours- just a quick trip to see a client. Filled up the Ford Explorer with 8 gallons of gas at the Chevron at the airport. Printed the receipt for my expense report.

I returned the car and noticed a $20 charge for fuel. When I brought it to the lot person's attention she proceeded to tell me that the car wasn't full and that my receipt didn't prove anything. She brought over her supervisor and he accused me of lying to him about the receipt. We went back and forth for minutes and he basically told me to get lost. So I went to the Avis Preferred counter and the lady was able to remove the charge.

This has happened to me in SLC, SFO, LAS, DEN, COS, and RNO. All in the past 90 days. So far this year I have over 40 rentals from Avis but am seriously considering to National due to company policy. I've had enough of these silly gas gouging experiences.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Romulus87
Yesterday in SLC the same thing happened. I drove 140 miles in 6 hours- just a quick trip to see a client. Filled up the Ford Explorer with 8 gallons of gas at the Chevron at the airport. Printed the receipt for my expense report.

I returned the car and noticed a $20 charge for fuel. When I brought it to the lot person's attention she proceeded to tell me that the car wasn't full and that my receipt didn't prove anything. She brought over her supervisor and he accused me of lying to him about the receipt. We went back and forth for minutes and he basically told me to get lost. So I went to the Avis Preferred counter and the lady was able to remove the charge.
Explorers have the electronic gauges, what Avis considers a "connected car". What did the receipt/app say your fuel was upon returning vs. out? These gauges are the same ones that seem to cause me issues as well! I did have one recently that wasn't one of the connected cars. Prius, got 55.1 mpg, drove 90 miles. Put 2.1 gallons in it, 0.5 gallons more than I used. 12 hours AFTER returning, I got an updated receipt with $20.xx in fuel now added to it. I sent a note to Avis with the above info, plus noting I had the fuel receipt and pic of the gauge/odometer/fuel economy/trip odometer while IN the Avis lot if they wanted for proof. They replied quickly that the charges were removed and they sent a note to the station manager about the nonsense.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 11:19 am

Once again, this company tried to get me for fuel. Put around 400 miles on the car in one day, topped it off right outside the airport.
When returning the vehicle, there were literally no employees on duty, just a sign saying to leave the keys in the car, which I did. (reason for noting this is because many posters mention that you should offer the fuel receipt upon return)
A week later, charge for $19.xx ($15.99+tax) on my card, went back to Avis site and saw it was for fuel service. This was a Kia, not sure if it was a connected car or not.

This is very annoying. I shouldn't have to contact CS after every rental to remove the inaccurate charge.

Edit: turns out the problem is that the mileage in was recorded as the exact same as the mileage out which therefore triggered the <75 mile charge. Whether this was done deliberately or not, I don't know.
masmadrid likes this.

Last edited by canyoncar; Jun 9, 2020 at 4:24 pm
Old May 22, 2022, 6:02 am

AVIS fuel scam Boston Logan

I returned an Avis car yesterday after a 3 week rental. The car was full when I received it and it was full when I returned it (I filled it up at the BOS Logan Shell station about 10 minutes before returning it - I have the receipt showing I put in 9.49 gallons). When I returned the car the attendant didn't look at the fuel gauge or mileage - he just scanned the windshield. When I looked at the receipt it showed 16.4 gal at the beginning of the rental and 8.2 gal at the end. I was charged for the "missing" 8.2 gallons. Needless to say I will be complaining and expect to get a full refund. The same thing happened to me at Avis BOS last year.
therollin likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wellfleet ewr
I returned an Avis car yesterday after a 3 week rental. The car was full when I received it and it was full when I returned it (I filled it up at the BOS Logan Shell station about 10 minutes before returning it - I have the receipt showing I put in 9.49 gallons). When I returned the car the attendant didn't look at the fuel gauge or mileage - he just scanned the windshield. When I looked at the receipt it showed 16.4 gal at the beginning of the rental and 8.2 gal at the end. I was charged for the "missing" 8.2 gallons. Needless to say I will be complaining and expect to get a full refund. The same thing happened to me at Avis BOS last year.
Similar thing happened to me yesterday, returned a rental after 2 weeks, similar return process, and I got dinged for 10 gallons. Had to call in and provide proof of fuel up. They dropped it relatively quickly. Thankfully I documented fuel levels a few times before returning so i could argue my case. Needless to say. Im going to be saving the last fuel up receipt and proof of the remaining gas from now on with avis
Old May 26, 2022, 1:46 pm

Just happened to me at the Oakland airport. Filled up a Kia Soul a quarter mile away, offered to show the guy who took the car my receipt, he just said "Nah, they will know if it is full or not". Fuel gauge was well past the F line. Looked at receipt the next day -- a fuel charge for .7 of a gallon ($18). They must do this to literally everyone.

Had to call and dispute. Such a pain. The Oak airport drop off lot is a long way from the Avis counter and if you are pressed for time, this sucks.
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Hadn't used Avis in a while and then started using Avis again. First couple of cars, no issue on fuel.

I've received enough rental cars over the years that obviously weren't full even if they said full that I appreciate a program that is tracking the gallons out as opposed to having it "eyeballed."

Then I had one rental where they tried to charge me for .6 gallon of fuel, yet I had refueled about 3 blocks from the airport and even put an extra 1/4 gallon in after the pump clicked off due to being aware of Avis fuel sensors (of course I didn't tell Avis I did that since you are supposed to not top off/stop at the click...). Refueling charge was the "contract "FUEL SVC" rate of $9.99 per gallon plus about 20% tax.

Then I had another rental. I did the same thing- refueled a few blocks from airport and added extra gas after the first click. This time the Avis sensor decided I brought the car back with more gas than I took it out with, by 1/2 gallon. So they issued me a credit for "on the road expenses." However the computed the "credit" based on the price per gallon if you buy a full tank of fuel from Avis (which on this was around $6.00 per gallon), not at the "FUEL SVC" rate of $9.99/gallon. Also they do not give you any tax refund in conjunction with this credit.

I guess the problem I have with this is the uneven application. If you get charged the fee, they fee you at top rate and add taxes to it. If you bring back too much gas and get the credit, they give you the credit at a lower rate and no taxes come off.

It is what it is but I wish they'd be more transparent about how it all works.
IAHtraveler and strickerj like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:15 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I've received enough rental cars over the years that obviously weren't full even if they said full that I appreciate a program that is tracking the gallons out as opposed to having it "eyeballed."
Agree 100% that an automated system is better than a manual one. Especially one you can track in the app. However, I can't tell you how many times I've arrived to an airport, get an alert that my vehicle is in Space Y, but the current fuel shows ~0.5-2 lower than the starting fuel, even though I've not even made it to the Avis lot. Employees that I've discussed it with have no clue how to override it so I made them swap be vehicles. At this point, I'm fed up enough with the process that when I see this in the app, I:
1. Take a screenshot2. Fail to pickup the rental (if they cannot get the details right on something that will cost me $, I'm not doing them the favor to cancel, I'll just ignore the rental)
3. Go grab a car at National or Hertz4. Send the details to Avis on why I went elsewhere. Usually results in a meaningless reply but they have given $25 certs for the issue sometimes
strickerj and m907 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.