Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAHtraveler
Recently, there has been a run of complaints on Avis charging for partial gallons of fuel after the rental return. I'm merging all similar threads into this forum for future discussion.

Some Avis cars now have a method to determine fuel level to the 0.1 gallons. In these cars, they take (fuel out) - (fuel in) and charge you their posted rate for the difference. Even though you might have filled up 2 miles from the station, you could be on the hook for fuel. The fuel fees typically appear after the rental is closed. It seems only cars with "VR" stickers on the driver's side window have this capability so it might be worth trying to avoid these vehicles.

Update on 9/15: It's called Zibox and the article is HERE.

Note: Some comments might appear out of order since a few threads were merged.
Print Wikipost

Avis Fuel Surcharge Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Does anyone know what this "Virtual Reader" actually is?

I did a little googling, and came up with this:
http://www.jv-technoton.com/fuel_level_sensor/

But I'd love to know what AVIS is actually using?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Does anyone know what this "Virtual Reader" actually is?

I did a little googling, and came up with this:
http://www.jv-technoton.com/fuel_level_sensor/

But I'd love to know what AVIS is actually using?

Until they explain it, this is what I think

Old Sep 15, 2013, 3:47 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Anyone experience this? Avis uses Zibox technology to measure fuel use to the drop

Why is everything that costs customers more money always intrduced with the spin that it is good for the customer? LOL

A new system, called Zibox, will know exactly how much fuel you have in the car at any given time. “This is going to be good for customers,” Frissora says.

LINK TO ARTICLE

Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
“This is going to be good for customers,” Frissora says.
You do realize that this quote is referring to the paragraph before it which says, "Its new system, called Zibox, is capable of shutting off a car engine remotely and operating car locks from afar. It relays location data, tire air pressure and fuel-level information back to Hertz, too. In other words, it will know exactly how much fuel you have in the car at any given time."

So... engine remote monitoring, car locks, location data, tire air pressure, AND fuel-level data.

Gotta be fair, some of these things will be good for customers.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by bkafrick
So... engine remote monitoring, car locks, location data, tire air pressure, AND fuel-level data.

Gotta be fair, some of these things will be good for customers.
Yeah, it'll be great!

Avis agent: "Yes, but see here (points to screen), after you left the hotel and filled up, you drove to your mistress' apartment, using an extra .3 gallons."
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A colleague also found this: www.digitalfuelmeter.com

Next is smoke detector and camera to take pictures of those who smoke in the car
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by username
Next is smoke detector and camera to take pictures of those who smoke in the car
Good!

As one of my colleagues told me one time... Every car is a smoking car. Just roll down the windows.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Transparency is Paramount

Transparency is paramount here. I have no problem with this system if I have access to the data. The key values are "Gas in Tank - Out" and "Gas in Tank - In". "Gas in Tank - Out" is static, measured when you leave the lot. "Gas in Tank - In" is dynamic, changing every moment until the car is stopped at the return location.

Avis should allow the VR fuel data to be read in real time via an app. Give me a unique login/pw combo, so I can view all VR data being recorded that can affect rental surcharges. It would be nice to see the volume of gas in the tank at the gas station, so I would know if I needed to "top off" a gas tank after the fuel shut off kicks in.

Most renters won't even bother monitoring the situation as closely, but having information would allow those who do want to manage the situation to have options.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by JohnneeO
Avis should allow the VR fuel data to be read in real time via an app
Their website barely works... you expect this? Hahahahaha
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Wondering if anybody has any more recent experience with this. I'll be renting at MCO next week.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by jalves
Wondering if anybody has any more recent experience with this. I'll be renting at MCO next week.
The "VR" cars are still out there in full effect. Fill up your car to the absolute top when you return it, or be willing to "fight" for a credit on your fuel expense line item.

I rented at EWR last week, and in NJ its all full-serve stations... So the gas attendant filled it until the pump stopped on its own. We all know you can put a good gallon more gas in once the pump clicks off... so I told them guy to top it off. When I returned to EWR AVIS, the system charged me $11.00 for fuel service (approx 1.25 gallons). I showed my receipt (from 5 minutes ago) to the agent, and they left the fuel charge on the bill, but then gave me a credit for the $11.00 separately.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jalves
You also have to watch out for this if you get gas at MCO: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/orlan...on-ripoff.html
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by username
You also have to watch out for this if you get gas at MCO: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/orlan...on-ripoff.html
I'm aware of those stations, but its good to remind others. Thanks.

If you're getting gas north of MCO, drive about another block further past the two price gouging stations and you'll find much more reasonable prices.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:31 am

Just resurrecting this old thread with some personal experience. Two visits to MCO since October and have not gotten a vehicle with this device. Next trip is in a couple of weeks.

Also, as far as the gas stations north of the airport go, there is now a new WaWa gas station in that area that has very good prices for gas.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I don't think we have a more recent thread, but I got my first Avis Now control with "remote car controls" on the app. This does apparently include mileage reporting and fuel gauge status electronically (I think they are using the OnStar communication tools or something related). The agent doing the return does not enter the car at all to check fuel or mileage (only scans the car window barcode), but all of the details are on the receipt.

Of course, I am posting in this thread because even though I had a gas receipt, I was detected for not putting enough gas. I told the agent as she approached the car that I had a gas receipt and showed it (to avoid EZ-Fuel), but didn't realize the car was self-reporting.

Anyway, the agent didn't even say anything and adjusted the cost automatically for the fuel charge before giving me the second generated receipt (which was also common with the auto EZ-Fuel). I suspect this happens often enough. I know articles talk about people not fueling to full, but I actually go to full click stop because I dislike renting cars that say F, but are not really.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.