Budget Toll Pass RIPOFF (MCO)

Old Jun 24, 13, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A List & CP; Marriott Platinum; Radisson Gold
Thumbs down Budget Toll Pass RIPOFF (MCO)

FYI - Be careful with the Orlando airport facility - we did NOT activatve the Sun Pass toll tag system in our car (there is a lever you move from "OFF" to "ON" on the toll tag sticker on the windshield), yet we were still charged for tolls. You are charged $3 per day for each day of your rental for "renting" the tag, whether you use it or not, if you activate the switch.

We never activated it - went through 4 tolls, ready to pay cash for all of them. for 3 of them, the Sun Pass worked, even though we didn't activate it.

Just got a post-rental bill from Budget charging me for the tolls (which is fair) PLUS the $3/day fee for a week's rental. I called to dispute it and they effectively told me to GFY, I have no recourse unless I can produce a receipt for the one pull for which i did pay "cash" (which was really throwing a dollar coin into the slot - so of course I did not get a receipt). So they are not going to remove the charge.

I have no doubt that disputing this with my credit card will have it removed, probably as a courtesy by the credit card, not from recouping the $ from Budget, but still their apathy for this business practice is astounding. Further the rental return agent assured me that this is on ongoing problem and people complain about it all the time.
Old Jul 19, 13, 1:48 pm

This happened to me as well, in Houston. Complete surprise of a charge.

I asked them to refund the charges via email, and Budget refused.

I did a chargeback, but my credit card company actually refused to honor the chargeback as well, saying that they get these kinds of things for car rental companies all the time, and that Visa doesn't win (which didn't make sense to me).

I'm going to send out some stern written letters to Budget & my cc.

Let me know what happened with you.
Old Jul 25, 13, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A List & CP; Marriott Platinum; Radisson Gold
I called Budget back a 2nd time, hoping a different representative might give a different outcome. they ended up giving me a credit back for 2 out of the 5 days, so I'm still out about $12. They absolutely would not budge on a full refund, and said I would have to produce the receipt for the $1 toll that I did pay cash to take it any further (which of course I did not have).

I'm not going to bother disputing with the credit card, not worth the time for $12. I will just resolve to never use Budget at MCO again, and to advise as many others possible. We are returning to MCO in August, but are going with Thrifty instead this time. It's shame, because every other aspect of the experience (quick check-in using Fastbreak, upgraded to premium car, easy return) was top notch.
Old Jul 26, 13, 6:59 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Dollar/Thrifty's toll policies are worse. If you don't buy their expensive prepaid toll plan, Pass24, they are likely to charge even higher fees.
Old Jul 28, 13, 7:26 am
wcj

The rental agreement typically says that if you fail to pay a toll and didnt pay for the Sun Pass then you will pay the fine and an administrative fee. In this case, you did not pay the toll nor the Sun Pass fee, so you would owe the toll, plus fine, plus administrative fee. This would have been more than charging you the Sun Pass fee for your rental. While you don't want to hear it, Budget actually gave you a break, albeit small. Yes, the administrative fee is high, but I always remember that I am the one that did not pay the fine and Budget was the one that had to hire an employee to track me down when Budget received the ticket.

There is a way to purchase a Sun Pass ticket for the car. I think it's at Publix grocery stores, but could be wrong.
Old Aug 4, 13, 1:06 am

It happened to us as well (out of JFK). We had the toll device on a car closed. Nevertheless, the lady at one of the toll booths told us her screen said we had an E-Zpass. She was able to cancel he charge manually and collect the toll in cash. Budget did not charge us for the use of the device.
Old Aug 16, 13, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, UA Ag Past 3-time WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,Ntl EmEx
I had a similar situation where the lady at the tollgate said her system saw that it had read my pass even though it was in the off position and I was in the cash line, as far as you could get from the electronic reader.

So just because you have it in the off position there is a possibility it will be read and charged. All that on/off thing is a low-tech lever that moves it closer to the window, and moving it an inch off the window in the real world doesn't make it unreadable, despite what the marketing department says.

I did have the receipts and the time on the receipt was the same time as the charge so had absolutely no issues getting them removed other than the hassle of having to call and have it removed - it is another company, not Budget, and when you call Budget customer service one of the options is to be connected to the toll company, so guess they get a lot of calls about bogus charges.

Best option is either to request a car without the electronic toll device - I've had luck with this, or just taking the damn thing off (it is attached with Velcro) and putting it in the glove box so that it won't be read.

Now don't forget there are areas that have toll roads where it is impossible to pay for them in cash (Denver's E-470 comes to mind) and you will be charged, and you will pay an administrative fee when they pay it for you.
Old Aug 17, 13, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ctuttle View Post
or just taking the ---- thing off (it is attached with Velcro) and putting it in the glove box so that it won't be read.
I always do that when I get in a car with a toll pass. It goes into the glove box, console or back seat.
Old Aug 17, 13, 6:55 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
AMAZED

What amazes me is the number of threads in all the car rental forums about these supposed ripoffs and yet people still have not learned to be carefull and to check the cars before leaving the facility .

I know when traveling we want to be on our way but that IS WHEN WE SHOULD BE MOST VIGILANT as the companies are aware you are vulnerable at that time. If we are educated consumers and do not fall prey trhen the practices stop.
I am sorry for the OP but they should have been aware this is not the first time reported in fact the first thread is over five years old.
Perhaps educating ourselves by reading posts before we travel to become aware of the pitfalls and by checking the rental contract and car instead of complaining because we were taken advantage of (although legally) might be a better course of action.
BE AN EDUCATED CONSUMER
Old Aug 17, 13, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by darben View Post
What amazes me is the number of threads in all the car rental forums about these supposed ripoffs and yet people still have not learned to be carefull and to check the cars before leaving the facility .
I think it is difficult to blame customers in a lot of (but not all) of these situations. As Alex71 noted, they moved the transponder to the "off" position, but it still charged them. Same with the OP in this situation. I've had coworkers with the same issue..we travel with our own transponders on the dash/held up/temp on the windshield, but the "off" transponder will still read very frequently.
Old Aug 31, 13, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
I think it is difficult to blame customers in a lot of (but not all) of these situations. As Alex71 noted, they moved the transponder to the "off" position, but it still charged them. Same with the OP in this situation. I've had coworkers with the same issue..we travel with our own transponders on the dash/held up/temp on the windshield, but the "off" transponder will still read very frequently.
You have to push all the way and quite forceully to the Off position. Otherwise the system will be active. It is written on the box.
Old Sep 2, 13, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
The other issue is OP paid cash only for one of 4 tolls. He doesn't have a problem with being billed for the three tolls where he ran through the Sunpass lane, but doesn't want to pay the administrative fee to Budget. I'm not sure why he thinks Budget should not bill him for handling his tolls.
Don't be so sure it was the Sunpass transponder that paid the toll. In Florida when a vehicle without a transponder goes through a Sunpass lane, the license tag is read and the toll is billed to the car's owner.