FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   Driving on the 407 ETR Toll Road in Toronto? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/1448111-driving-407-etr-toll-road-toronto.html)

bkafrick Mar 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Driving on the 407 ETR Toll Road in Toronto?

I searched Flyertalk for this topic, and the latest info I could find was from 2007-2010...

...anyone know what happens when you rent from AVIS, and drive on the 407 ETR outside of Toronto? AVIS doesnt put transponders in their cars in YYZ like they do in NY, MA, Florida, etc...

dgross Mar 15, 2013 10:02 am

The 407 ETR does not require a transponder, as it also utilizes a license plate recognition system. There is an additional video toll charge for those automobiles that are identified using the license plate recognition system.

http://www.407etr.com

IAHtraveler Mar 15, 2013 5:29 pm

So what about taking a US car there? I've heard mixed reports as to whether they will go back on US owned rental cars for tolls. Anyone have experience there?

dgross Mar 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 20427131)
So what about taking a US car there? I've heard mixed reports as to whether they will go back on US owned rental cars for tolls. Anyone have experience there?

I rented a car from National with a New York registration. I went on the 407 ETR and National received the charge, and in turn, they charged me.

From the 407ETR website....

Out-of-Province users, including those from the U.S.A., who choose to use 407 ETR are responsible for all tolls, fees and interest under the Highway 407 Act. At the end of each monthly billing cycle, the all-electronic system calculates all tolls, fees and interest and a bill is sent in Canadian dollars, due upon mailing.

Bloomsbury Mar 15, 2013 7:39 pm

I drove an Avis rental with NY plates and got a letter months later from Avis with the toll + an Avis admin charge.

bkafrick Mar 15, 2013 10:30 pm

So I had Ontario plates (rented in YYZ) so I'm likely to get the toll + the video recognition surcharge + the avis surcharge... super...

But beats sitting in traffic on the 401, I suppose.

Stephan54 Mar 23, 2013 1:39 pm

We rented a car, were taken by surprise because we could not pay cash and received the bill in the mail. Toll and a hefty surcharge.

Critic Mar 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Stephan54 (Post 20470126)
We rented a car, were taken by surprise because we could not pay cash and received the bill in the mail. Toll and a hefty surcharge.

Was there a reason you couldn't navigate around the toll road?

bkafrick Mar 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Critic (Post 20472030)
Was there a reason you couldn't navigate around the toll road?

If you've ever driven on the 401 outside of Toronto, you'll know why you dont want to drive on it, and why you'll take the 407.

Critic Mar 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by bkafrick (Post 20476540)
If you've ever driven on the 401 outside of Toronto, you'll know why you dont want to drive on it, and why you'll take the 407.

I have, actually, from YYZ out to Don Mills. And yes, I know that depending on the time of day, the traffic is pretty epic. But you made the choice to drive on the toll road in a rental car.

bkafrick Mar 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Critic (Post 20476792)
But you made the choice to drive on the toll road in a rental car.

And your point is?

I'm not complaining. I simply asked what the procedure was when I drove on it.

So far (10 days since rental), I havent been billed by AVIS for anything.

Critic Mar 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by bkafrick (Post 20482735)
And your point is?

I'm not complaining. I simply asked what the procedure was when I drove on it.

eToll in the USA can take a while, since the charges have to be fed in from the different tolling agencies. I had a 1-day rental back in August for a business meeting in Westchester (didn't really need to rent, but I figured my colleagues would be more comfortable in a VW Passat than in my Ford Fiesta) - all of the tolls but one posted within a week, with the remaining toll posting in November.

IAHtraveler Mar 26, 2013 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by bkafrick (Post 20482735)

I've had very different experiences with Avis eTolls. Sometimes they post within a few days (with an email receipt), but it typically takes a week or two. The longest wait I had was approx 3.5 months!

bkafrick Mar 27, 2013 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Critic (Post 20486502)
eToll in the USA can take a while, since the charges have to be fed in from the different tolling agencies.

This isnt eToll though. Basically I violated T&Cs and drove on the 407. Im just wondering how long it'll take.

bkafrick May 8, 2013 11:00 am

Follow-up

So - finally received my invoice from AVIS. Sort of what I expected...

407 ETR Toll Charges
Toll: Hwy401 to Hwy400 on/le - $8.13
Video: Hwy401 to Hwy400 on/le - $3.80
Administration Fees - $17.00
HST on Admin Fees - $2.21

Grand Total (CAD): $31.14

I fully was aware this would occur - but it was well worth avoiding the 401.