Budget Rent Car?! NEVER AGAIN!

Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Budget Rent Car?! NEVER AGAIN!

I'm here to report You guys what happened to me on ** feb.

I had left my hotel in Manhattan in Lexington av. - 60th at 2.15pm to take my flight in JFK at 6pm. I was driving on the on the Prkway 22 with my rented car; about 5-8km from the airport i had a flat tyre, so took the exit and stopped on the N C****** av. to change the tyre. When i've stopped the car, I checked if the tools were on the luggage van, but no tool was available (incredible!).
So I contacted at 3.30pm the road assistance to ask them assistance, informing them also about my flight: they asked me some infos, then told me "Sir, within 20 min. the truck will arrive; please don't leave the car".
At 4 pm i've called them again because, nobody came to help me: same reply: "Sir, within 20 min. the truck will arrive; please don't leave the car"! In the meantime, 2 gentle guys stopped to help me, and they urge the road assistance by phone too.

At 4.30pm, called the RA again: same reply, but the agent told me that they had some troubules to find my reservation, but in her opinion, I should not have been afraid because within 20 min. the truck would help me!
Immediatly i've contacted also the office where I picked up my car on feb. 22nd: they told me to call RA, but after my insistence, they told me "Sir, now we will send someone to help you , within 15-25 min."

at 5pm NOBODY had yet arrived!

at 5.40pm, a very kind and gentle lady (her name is Rhona), stopped to help us, also because it was a very dangerous street, due to high speed cars.

The gentle Rhona, called with her mobile the RA, insisting about the truck, and by that moment, we had a grotesque and incredible situation:

the RA informed us about the fact that they were unable to process the assistance request due to the fact they were not able to find our reservation, because the office where i picked up my car was using a different software to manage the reservations, so they had some troubles to find my reservation (even if i gave them the contract number, the plate number, the pick up location, etc. at the 1st call!); the call ended up with a promise to be called back within 5 min.
The callback arrived 30 min later, but nobody arrived to help us. Again.

So, me and Miss. Rhona begun a long call (over 45 min!) trying to manage the trouble, opening also a claim for compensation, due to the fact from that moment I would have to:

- buy a new tkt x 2
- book an hotel for the night

Finally, the truck (a 3rd part company) arrived at 7.55pm ( so 4h20m after my first call!), picked up the car, and carried us to the Budget office (the flight was now lost).
There i required a proof of the facts, and the office, with many contrariness, gave me a piece of paper with the facts happened.

So, I'm wondering:
how it's possible that budget managed the road assistance in that way?
how it's possible that they need over 3h to manage the truck ?(the truck anyway arrived in 10 min, because it seems to be located about 5km from the car)

this trouble costed me over 2000$!
they told me to send them via fax all the invoices...
what do you think?

Last edited by Paul4Travel; Mar 7, 2013 at 3:10 am Reason: edit for circumstances reasons!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Unless they pay all your out of pocket expenses, I would sue them.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 5:06 am

Sorry for the troubles but did it really cost you $2,000? Did the airline refuse to help / change your ticket to next day?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Sorry for the troubles but did it really cost you $2,000? Did the airline refuse to help / change your ticket to next day?
this is the first thing i tried to, but the tkt rules didn't allowed this; that's why i had to buy a new tkt, flying with TK...

It has been a nightmare: I've been in airport untill 2am trying to arrange the tkts, then the hotel..I've booked the tkts at 5am in the morning, after at least 10 international call (it has cost me over 70€ on my telephone bill!)..
I've slept 1h because my flight was at 1.00pm with 3 hour check in..so i had to be in JFK at 10 am!

Originally Posted by holtju2
Unless they pay all your out of pocket expenses, I would sue them.

So, as suggested, I've already opened a claim on the same date, and they told me to send every invoice via fax to this number: 303-824-3*** (international prefix code: +1 , I presume!?).
Do you think I've to sue them in the case they refuse to pay?
even if it could be complicated, because now I'm in EU, so not the easy way!

Last edited by Paul4Travel; Mar 7, 2013 at 3:11 am Reason: edit for circumstances reasons...
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:19 am
Original Poster

1h ago I've sent a fax to the car hire company, asking for compensation about:
tkts
hotel
dinner
extra parking
phone bill (I've done over 10 calls due to their incompetence, the cost has been about 90€...! I've obv. considered the first 2-3 calls as reasonable, not the other 7-8)

what do you think?

Last edited by Paul4Travel; Mar 7, 2013 at 3:11 am
Old Mar 2, 2013, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Paul4Travel
1h ago I've sent a fax to the Budget rent car, asking for compensation about:
tkts
hotel
dinner
extra parking
phone bill (I've done over 10 calls due to their incompetence, the cost has been about 90€...! I've obv. considered the first 2-3 calls as reasonable, not the other 7-8)

what do you think?
Hopefully they'll end up picking it up. Call me cynical, but I think you'll actually have to get a lawyer to get them to pay up... Does anyone know if Budget's liability here would be limited since they'll probably blame the tow company while the tow company blames Budget?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Remember
Hopefully they'll end up picking it up. Call me cynical, but I think you'll actually have to get a lawyer to get them to pay up... Does anyone know if Budget's liability here would be limited since they'll probably blame the tow company while the tow company blames Budget?
thank you for reply!

so i don't think Bud*get can blame tow company about delay, because on their shrift, the problem was on the different softwares (or something similar that!); i have 2 witness who can confirm what they affirmed by telephone!
furthermore, do you think that Bud*get would not pay, risking a reputational damage? About it, i've been suggested to contact some newspaper/journals, if they're not willing to compensate.
I've already contacted my legal office anyway.
What I'm wondering: hasn't Budget an insurance who cover this kind of facts????

Last edited by Paul4Travel; Mar 7, 2013 at 3:12 am
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:07 pm

Why didn't the passerby's lend you their tool?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fyaric
Why didn't the passerby's lend you their tool?
i think he didn't have the tool, because when he (they) came to help me, he asked me << take the tools and the jack, so within 10 min everything will be ok!>>..but unfortunatly i had to reply <<no jack in the car Sir! I've already checked...>>..and he made me understand they were not provided.
Anyway, about everything, how it's possible that a hired car is not provided with all the basic tools ? and furthermore, how it's possible that the road assistance customer service needs over 4 hours to manage the truck?!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:28 am

i think he didn't have the tool, because when he (they) came to help me, he asked me << take the tools and the jack, so within 10 min everything will be ok!>>..but unfortunatly i had to reply <<no jack in the car Sir! I've already checked...>>..and he made me understand they were not provided.
Anyway, about everything, how it's possible that a hired car is not provided with all the basic tools ? and furthermore, how it's possible that the road assistance customer service needs over 4 hours to manage the truck?!
There are tons of gas stations so i'm a bit baffled that you couldn't get a tool.

But i'm with you that budget has a problem..... (you are not obligated to change the tire if you get a flat)
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Read the t&c of the contract you signed carefully. It will almost certainly exclude "consequential damages" which would be for the new tickets, hotel and the like.

I will be very surprised if you see anything even remotely approaching what you've lost.

You may need to consult an attorney to determine whether it is possible to collect.

But, prepare for a disappointing answer.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Read the t&c of the contract you signed carefully. It will almost certainly exclude "consequential damages" which would be for the new tickets, hotel and the like.

I will be very surprised if you see anything even remotely approaching what you've lost.

You may need to consult an attorney to determine whether it is possible to collect.

But, prepare for a disappointing answer.
can you quote this point on the T&C please? Reading the T&C released when picked up the car,i can't find nothing on it!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
can you quote this point on the T&C please? Reading the T&C released when picked up the car,i can't find nothing on it!
From the Budget Master Agreement.

22.1 You agree to waive all claims against Budget for any incidental, special or consequential damages in connection with the furnishing, performance or use of the Vehicle.

Let me repeat. Consult an attorney and determine before you act whether or not you have a winnable lawsuit. 100 people on FT will have 101 opinions as to what they think ought to happen. Unless they are licensed to practice law in NY and do this stuff regularly, the 101 opinions are worth what you paid for them.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 5:51 pm

^

22.1 You agree to waive all claims against Budget for any incidental, special or consequential damages in connection with the furnishing, performance or use of the Vehicle.

Let me repeat. Consult an attorney and determine before you act whether or not you have a winnable lawsuit. 100 people on FT will have 101 opinions as to what they think ought to happen. Unless they are licensed to practice law in NY and do this stuff regularly, the 101 opinions are worth what you paid for them.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for reply. Now i do not have the contract here, I'm going to check it when at home.
Anyway, you're right about FTers opinion, the main problem is that I'm in Europe now, and it's not easy to get an NY attorney to determine if it'a a winnable lawsuit!
do you have some hints about it? also via PM if you want!
thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.