185.92 EURO for a Flat tire???

Old May 16, 11, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: One Pass Plat.. Hilton Diamond... Marriott Plat... National Exec Elite
185.92 EURO for a Flat tire???

Within 100' of returning a car in Florence Italy I had a flat tire, (bummer). Drove car in and parked, no damage to wheel. Ended up with a 150 EURO charge with 35.92 in Damage Admin Cost. Language barrier prevented a detailed inquiry, just paid. Rental period was a week and basic mandatory insurance purchased. Rental Fee was buried in a travel agency all paid with a credit card. Any advice as to either challange charge with AVIS or putting a claim in with credit card...
Old May 16, 11, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT/ 1MM+, Marriott Gold
Since you paid it without a fight, your CC company will probably not reimburse you at this point. Sorry
Old May 17, 11, 7:58 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Can you really not pay and leave?
Old May 17, 11, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT/ 1MM+, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Can you really not pay and leave?
Probably not, but you can call your CC company (yes time zone changes make it difficult) to explain the situation and let them research. Worth doing so after the fact anyway IMO. Worst case they don't cover it and you are stuck as is now.
Old May 19, 11, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flat tires are a PITA because they're usually NOT covered by the rental agencies' collision damage coverage -- or your own credit card coverage.

In the UK once, I got upgraded to a Mercedes -- which was great until one of its tires got a nail puncture. It cost me over $200 to replace the tire. To my amazement, AMEX paid the tab (less the VAT) from their car insurance program. When I read the policy, I was pretty certain that it said the coverage didn't include tires, but they paid, so I didn't question it.
Old May 25, 11, 1:44 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Flat tires are a PITA because they're usually NOT covered by the rental agencies' collision damage coverage -- or your own credit card coverage.
Not in any case I've ever seen. Every LDW I've ever seen covers all physical damage, including body damage, glass, and tire.

Although I can't specifically say I have experience with Avis on this. If Avis doesn't, that would be one reason to consider another company...

Last edited by jackal; May 25, 11 at 1:50 am
Old May 25, 11, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Not in any case I've ever seen. Every LDW I've ever seen covers all physical damage, including body damage, glass, and tire.

Although I can't specifically say I have experience with Avis on this. If Avis doesn't, that would be one reason to consider another company...
Is that in the USA? I'm renting a car is Spain this week where liability coverage is often included in the rate. On some of these policies, tire/glass etc. is specifically excluded.
Old May 25, 11, 7:23 am
Suspended

)
I blew a tire in a National SUV last XMAS and wasn't charged a penny. Nothing.
Old May 25, 11, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What does the LDW you purchased say? Does it include tires? If so, dispute with Avis first. You don't say, but presume you used USA-based credit card. Problem you have is that chargeback / dispute process is not necessarily the same for overseas as it is for domestic and overseas merchants, particularly car rental are much stickier about simply writing off charges to keep customers satisfied. Same thing with foreign affiliates of car rental companies such as Avis. Long story, when doing business overseas, the fine print matters much more than it does in the USA. Once you have the facts in hand from your rental contract and LDW, it is nonetheless worth pursuing. Results can take 6 months + and you should be braced for a loss.
Old May 25, 11, 2:04 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Is that in the USA? I'm renting a car is Spain this week where liability coverage is often included in the rate. On some of these policies, tire/glass etc. is specifically excluded.
Yes, good point--my experience with LDW is largely confined to the U.S.
Old May 25, 11, 6:29 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Welcome to Europe - where customers are always wrong.

We rented a car with Avis in France, and read all the problems at FT. We decided to pay 13 Euros extra per day to get the Super CDW to bring down the excess to 100 Euros instead of 1000 euros. Didn't get a flat tire but we got a wrong bill for billing us for gas that we have already paid for.

Will probably buy excess insurance somewhere else than Avis - it was a ripped off.
Old May 25, 11, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Little suggestion for future travels. My family are insurance nuts as we carry high levels of insurance on everything. But it has been convenient. In college my tires were slashes and two windows broken into one night. Called my insurance company and they told me that our coverage included replacement of the windows, which I had expected, but they also covered the tires all for a Zero deductible. Was quite a pleasant surprise for a college student during finals. Upon further inspection of our policy it stated we had coverage for rental cars worldwide up to a certain value of a car, i think it was $52,000. Had a flat tire in Athens, paid roadside service to replace the tire and submitted the bill to the rental office. They denied it and left me with the bill. Submitted to my own insurance company and they paid it 72 hours later. Might be something to look into.
Additional cost of this package? $18.50 every 6 months as we pay biannually.
Old Jun 3, 11, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armattheus View Post
Little suggestion for future travels. My family are insurance nuts as we carry high levels of insurance on everything. But it has been convenient. In college my tires were slashes and two windows broken into one night. Called my insurance company and they told me that our coverage included replacement of the windows, which I had expected, but they also covered the tires all for a Zero deductible. Was quite a pleasant surprise for a college student during finals. Upon further inspection of our policy it stated we had coverage for rental cars worldwide up to a certain value of a car, i think it was $52,000. Had a flat tire in Athens, paid roadside service to replace the tire and submitted the bill to the rental office. They denied it and left me with the bill. Submitted to my own insurance company and they paid it 72 hours later. Might be something to look into.
Additional cost of this package? $18.50 every 6 months as we pay biannually.
Which insurance company was this?

Ironically, I got a flat tire on the Spanish car rental I mentioned above (there's a thread about the hassle I went through getting a replacement tire in the Europe travel forum; my car had no spare and it was a weekend). I had to pay for the tire -- $305 euros! -- myself. National/Atesa is currently reviewing my complaint, but I'm not optimistic they'll reimburse me. My next hope would be Visa/Signature. I have USAA home and car insurance, and I'm sure I'd have at least a $500 deductable. Why would they pay for a tire on a rental car -- in Europe no less?
Old Jun 3, 11, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Kemper Insurance Co.
Old Jun 3, 11, 4:20 pm

try insurance4carhire.com fully covered a bent rim and blown tire in Ireland 3 years ago - Avis charged me over $800!!!!!!! claim was paid in full within 3 weeks of submitting the required documentation - best 39 euros I ever spent!

Search this Thread