Search

Orlando airport location question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Question Orlando airport location question

Hi.

We are going to Orlando Dec. 18-25 and have booked an economy car. (tax and surchange comes to 44%, ouch)

Last year in Aug. we rented from Alamo location in Miami airport. When we got to the rental location, they processed the rental agreement, and let us go to the lot to choose our own car. They did not have any small cars on the lot (that was when oil was at sky high price). So I walked around to the SUVs. In the mean time, 2 small cars were driving into the lot, but were quickly taken up by others who were renting. We drove away in a Toyato SUV. We probably could've drove a mini-van away too.

Just curious how it works in the Avis Orlando airport location. Do they give you a specific car already, with the license, on the rental agreement, or do they let you go to the lot and choose your car? Are there lots of small cars around, or do people mostly drive those away?

Thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Alamo/National do the "choose your own car" thing nationwide, it is not Orlando specific. With Avis, you will get a car assigned. As always, you can ask for something else. You can also scout the lot beforehand and suggest the car you would like to have, they might give it to you, or not.

Note that there are two separate rental areas, one in the "A" side garage, one in the "B" side, about a 5-7 minute hike away from each other. In a pinch, if you don't see something you want, you can go across the terminal to the other garage and check there.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djk7
Alamo/National do the "choose your own car" thing nationwide, it is not Orlando specific.
Ah, I didn't know that. Learn something every day. That explains it for other Alamo locations I had rented.

Originally Posted by djk7
With Avis, you will get a car assigned. As always, you can ask for something else. You can also scout the lot beforehand and suggest the car you would like to have, they might give it to you, or not.

Note that there are two separate rental areas, one in the "A" side garage, one in the "B" side, about a 5-7 minute hike away from each other. In a pinch, if you don't see something you want, you can go across the terminal to the other garage and check there.
On my rental email confirmation, it says "Group A - Chevrolet Aveo or similar" Does that have anything to do with the "A" side of the garage or not?

Also, would you know if nowadays the smaller cars go faster, or not necessarily so anymore?

Thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:43 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by yscleo
On my rental email confirmation, it says "Group A - Chevrolet Aveo or similar" Does that have anything to do with the "A" side of the garage or not?
Group A is the class of rental. A being the smallest car (Economy), B is Compact, etc... There's a sticky at the top of these threads if you want to check out the different classes of cars.

You can go to either AVIS location, although I certainly find it easier to go to the one closest to the baggage claim of my airline... But djk7 is correct, you could leave that garage, go back into the terminal, cross through the terminal, and go into the other garage and find the alternative AVIS location if you wanted to... Personally, I dont think its worth the effort... cause who knows if the grass is really greener on the other side of the fence.

Also, would you know if nowadays the smaller cars go faster, or not necessarily so anymore?
They all drive at about the same speed, unless you rent a Camaro or a Mustang -- no in all seriousness, I dont think people are looking to rent Economy cars nearly as much now as they did back when gas was close to $5.00 a gallon.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Group A is the class of rental. A being the smallest car (Economy), B is Compact, etc... There's a sticky at the top of these threads if you want to check out the different classes of cars.
Ok, thanks.

They all drive at about the same speed, unless you rent a Camaro or a Mustang -- no in all seriousness, I dont think people are looking to rent Economy cars nearly as much now as they did back when gas was close to $5.00 a gallon.
Haha. We can live with a small car, but a large one or van would be nice. So my best bet is if the gas price shoots up just around the time I'm picking up the car, then goes right down when I'm driving and need to fill up.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 4:18 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
We can live with a small car, but a large one or van would be nice. So my best bet is if the gas price shoots up just around the time I'm picking up the car, then goes right down when I'm driving and need to fill up.
Don't think you're going to see much change in gas prices in the next 10 days...

My guess is that you'll probably see a one class upgrade from Economy to Compact and get a Toyota Corolla or equivalent. There's always a surplus of them at AVIS at MCO for some reason. I'll be there this upcoming week, i'll report back what I rent, but it in no way is a clear indicator of what inventory they'll have a week later...
Old Dec 4, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Don't think you're going to see much change in gas prices in the next 10 days...
And as always, beware of the closest gas station north on SR 436, the one without a big price sign out front. If you go there, it will be just like there was a big jump in gas prices.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:26 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

My guess is that you'll probably see a one class upgrade from Economy to Compact and get a Toyota Corolla or equivalent. There's always a surplus of them at AVIS at MCO for some reason. I'll be there this upcoming week, i'll report back what I rent, but it in no way is a clear indicator of what inventory they'll have a week later...
Unless the lot is nearly bare, I highly doubt someone without status would get a Carolla with an "A" reservation. The Corolla is considered "Intermediate/Class C" (I don't agree with that one bit, but it's what Avis decided), but maybe an upgrade to a Cobalt or Focus... although once MCO gave my "First" coworker a Focus on an Intermediate reservation.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 4:43 pm

Whoops. I stand corrected. I forgot the Corolla is considered Intermediate. Yeah, I vote for Cobalt/Focus too then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.