Search

medical diversion...help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2015, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat
medical diversion...help

Dear fellow FTers,

Any information will be of much help. My aunt and uncle were on their way back to Bolivia after visiting my aunt's relatives in Sweden. On MAD-BOG, my aunt had a medical emergency (my understanding is that it's a cranial embolism of some kind where initially I heard it was a stroke, idk). The flight was diverted to SJU. I'm worried sick obviously. I was able to send my dad on a last minute flight last night. My old man is an experienced flyer but not so savvy with FT or how things work nowadays. I want to pass on to him as much information as i can.

What can we expect?
The non-visa shouldn't be an issue (or so i read) because the airline is acting as an overseer or whatever you want to call it, right?
My family is not all that well off, I dont know how we are going to pay hospital bills or flights back to Bolivia when the time comes.
What part does the airline play in this? I have read as much as i could on FT and other forums about airline policy. Some have mentioned that even though my aunt cost the airline a substantial amount of money that even then in good will some airlines still cover expenses and flight back. How accurate might this be for Avianca? Such help would be incredible. Who should I be calling? What should I be saying?
I'm waiting to gather as much information I can from my uncle in the morning to see how serious of a matter it is.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. Any help is appreciated. Mods, please move this if necessary.

Safe travels, everyone
Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Your/their insurance company should be one of the first people to contact I would have thought.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
Sounds like they didn't buy travel insurance.

Do your aunt and uncle have status with Avianca LifeMiles? That might help.

The hospital bill is definitely not Avianca's problem.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your quick replies.
They purchased a type of insurance that we're trying to sort out whether or not it covers the in flight diversion. It was an insurance period that was june20 to September 18. Our argument thus far is that since the flight was on September 18, these issues should be covered? I'm obviously expecting nothing from the airline but CS has mentioned that we will be able to route them back to Bolivia at no cost . I'll see if a different agent repeats the info so I can have it on record as much as I can. Again, my worry is that the insurance covers their time in Europe only.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't rely on what people tell you. They may or may not be correct and almost all contracts provide that employees have no authority to vary the conditions.

Read the insurance policy itself word-for-word and that should tell you what is covered and when.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
The hospital is in Puerto Rico, a US territory (rhetorical, yes). Buy the aunt and uncle a ticket home after the hospital stay. The hospital will contact to arrange a payment plan. Send $10 a month. Unclear why you are worried about the expenses as the hospital can do nothing beyond requesting a payment plan. No method to collect via Bolivia regardless. The hospital and the airline want both the aunt and the uncle home as soon as possible. The airline will most likely offer to pay for the flight home for good public relations. The cost of the ticket home is zero for the airline (rhetorical, yes).

A hospital that will not treat the patient prior to payment arrangements is an issue! In my case, the insurance via work does cover international medical costs (one advantage of working for an international company) and includes a process by which the medical providers contact the insurance company to initiate the medical care. Otherwise the medical providers require payment via cash or credit card. The US hospital admit patients for life threatening issues without regard to payment. (self pay is the legal term)

The trip insurance is sufficient to stabilize a patient and transport the patient home for care. The trip insurance is not intended to be medical insurance. Travel medical insurance is an option also.

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Sep 21, 2015 at 1:04 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

update:

view-with-a-room,
thank you for the info.

Avianca, 2 staff members in Puerto Rico in particular, were incredible. They made sure all expenses were taken care of. My aunt and uncle are safely back in Bolivia. My aunt was helped directly onto the plane and had ambulance service upon arriving in La Paz.

I ask now, is there anyway to recognize said 2 employees besides a letter and a small gift. They both gave my family personal phone numbers and were incredibly helpful. I can't thank them enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.