Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Avianca connection at Bogota

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I am not sure to which airline you are referring when you mention preserving point of sale pricing.
Satena doesn't have any dedicated "other country" sites. They just suck at taking credit cards.
My comment was directed at Avianca. Satena's website tried twice to take my money, but each time gave up. In these situations i start to worry that behind the scenes it's all working fine, and maybe I now have two tickets. Irrational fear, but ..

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
If you can buy on the Avianca CO site with a UK issued card then that's all nice to hear.
The trick is finding the CO site. The UK version didn't allow selection of anywhere else from the country menu. Getting round that would be a breeze for most, but represented dogged determination from me. But once there, the credit card transaction sailed through.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:59 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
My comment was directed at Avianca. Satena's website tried twice to take my money, but each time gave up. In these situations i start to worry that behind the scenes it's all working fine, and maybe I now have two tickets. Irrational fear, but ..
It's a valid concern, I have had Avianca tell me my card is declined and whilst trying again the email with tickets has arrived.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The trick is finding the CO site. The UK version didn't allow selection of anywhere else from the country menu. Getting round that would be a breeze for most, but represented dogged determination from me. But once there, the credit card transaction sailed through.
Simples, don't use the country menu, just change the language and country codes in the URL

Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, United Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
BOG Connection

Please forgive me if this has been addressed in another thread, but after searching the forum I couldn't quite get an answer to my question...

I am booked on Avianca from CTG-BOG and then on American from BOG-MIA. My connection time is 2 hours and 3 minutes. I would assume that I will have to retrieve my checked bag in BOG and then recheck it with American, correct? Also, how easy is that process? Does my connection allow me enough time? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Lifetime Plat, AV Diamond
Recommend you check in online with AA

That's cutting it tight with checked bags... I believe Cartagena is now in the same terminal as international flights so that will be easier but AA does cutoff checkin one hours before the flight...
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, United Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Thanks for your insight, gimmedub. I believe I will carry on for the trip. I shouldn't have to go through customs though in BOG right?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PHLphan
Thanks for your insight, gimmedub. I believe I will carry on for the trip. I shouldn't have to go through customs though in BOG right?
You will go through outbound immigration and multiple interviews and document checks. BOG is one of the more difficult international departures I know.

This is a very risky connection.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is a very risky connection.
Even with a carry on only? Any other information about the outbound immigration process?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Even with a carry on only? Any other information about the outbound immigration process?
Last time I did a BOG international departure I counted six separate document checks (though that might be down to five since you no longer need the departure tax exemption stamp). And while I don't know about AA, the UA check-in lines are typically very long.

The other thing is those CTG-BOG flights can get delayed, especially later in the day, which is when I assume you're flying. And BOG is notorious for delays in deplaning. I can't think of any other airport where I've waited longer, more often, for them to bring the jetbridge over.

I've always booked four hours for these connections. Or fly into BOG in the early afternoon and spend the day in the city. Two hours is basically the minimum connection that you might make on separate tickets.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:05 pm

I'll be flying CTG-BOG in the morning. But I appreciate your advice. Thanks all. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll be making this trip 7/19.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:42 am

I'll be flying CTG-BOG in the morning. But I appreciate your advice. Thanks all. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll be making this trip 7/19.
Good luck. Enjoy Cartagena! It's gonna be hot.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
It has been several years since I did CTG but we flew on Avianca and we nearly missed our connection back to NY at Bogota as the line was so long. We ran to our flight as they were boarding when we got there. We had a 2 hour connection.

However we were in Cali and transfered to BOG on the way back 3 years ago and we had plenty of time. We also had a 2 hour connection.

Enjoy Cartagena.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Hi! Can anyone advise on the time required for a domestic to international connection at Bogota? I am planning to take either Avianca or another carrier from MED to BOG and have a separate ticket onwards on Avianca from BOG to LAX. I will have check in luggage. Would a 12pm arrival be sufficient for a 230pm departure?

Option 1: It would be cheaper if I buy a separate non-Avianca ticket but would the check in staff at MED check my luggage all the way to LAX?

Option 2: Avianca is a more expensive option but if they can check my luggage from MED to LAX without having to check in at BOG, I am happy to go with them on the domestic leg as well. Is this more feasible?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by kylie79
Hi! Can anyone advise on the time required for a domestic to international connection at Bogota? I am planning to take either Avianca or another carrier from MED to BOG and have a separate ticket onwards on Avianca from BOG to LAX. I will have check in luggage. Would a 12pm arrival be sufficient for a 230pm departure?

Option 1: It would be cheaper if I buy a separate non-Avianca ticket but would the check in staff at MED check my luggage all the way to LAX?

Option 2: Avianca is a more expensive option but if they can check my luggage from MED to LAX without having to check in at BOG, I am happy to go with them on the domestic leg as well. Is this more feasible?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
You want to give yourself about 2-3 hours connection time as you will have to go through security and immigration/document check.

I would go with option number 2 as you will most likely not be able to interline your bag with another carrier onto AV. Also if you go with another carrier you may have to transfer terminals in BOG.

Having two separate tickets on the same carrier will allow you to avoid having to claim your bags in BOG thus saving you time and hassle as all your AV flights are operated out of Terminal 1 as-well.

Last edited by imverge; Jul 9, 2017 at 10:16 am
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:33 am

MDE - BOG on AV is cheap (typically under $100). I would not risk one of the discount carriers, which are notoriously unreliable, just to save a few bucks off what is already a very reasonably priced fare.

Personally I wouldn't book less than 3 hours for a BOG D-I connection (and have typically booked longer).
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
MDE - BOG on AV is cheap (typically under $100). I would not risk one of the discount carriers, which are notoriously unreliable, just to save a few bucks off what is already a very reasonably priced fare.

Personally I wouldn't book less than 3 hours for a BOG D-I connection (and have typically booked longer).

thank you....would you know if they are able to interline your luggage from MDE to LAX directly? For some reason, the time I want to fly in Oct is around 190 USD which is double of what other carriers are charging, which is why I am enquiring about other carriers. In fact, business class is even slightly cheaper than economy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.