Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Avianca connection at Bogota

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by kylie79
thank you....would you know if they are able to interline your luggage from MDE to LAX directly? For some reason, the time I want to fly in Oct is around 190 USD which is double of what other carriers are charging, which is why I am enquiring about other carriers. In fact, business class is even slightly cheaper than economy!
Yes, Avianca will be able to tag your bags all the way to LAX from MDE.

Have you looked into buying Avianca Lifemiles for the one way MDE-BOG? You can redeem for Avianca flight.

I'm seeing it avail. for as low as 2500 miles which you could purchase for about 50USD cheaper if you can wait for the 100% bonus + promos they usually have every 3 months or so. Next promo should be next month.

Or you can transfer points from another program such as SPG?

Just a thought.
Attached Images  

Last edited by imverge; Jul 9, 2017 at 8:48 pm
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
would you know if they are able to interline your luggage from MDE to LAX directly?
Yes they absolutely can do it . . . but interlining on separate tix, you're always at the mercy of the agent at check-in. I always make sure to ask really nicely.

For some reason, the time I want to fly in Oct is around 190 USD which is double of what other carriers are charging, which is why I am enquiring about other carriers. In fact, business class is even slightly cheaper than economy!
They must be sold out in all the lower fare classes. That's a bit unusual this far in advance considering how many flights AV has per day on that route.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by imverge
You want to give yourself about 2-3 hours connection time as you will have to go through security and immigration/document check.

I would go with option number 2 as you will most likely not be able to interline your bag with another carrier onto AV. Also if you go with another carrier you may have to transfer terminals in BOG.

Having two separate tickets on the same carrier will allow you to avoid having to claim your bags in BOG thus saving you time and hassle as all your AV flights are operated out of Terminal 1 as-well.
missed your reply! thank you so much. thats very helpful. Do you still need to go through security for a document check if they can check your luggage all the way to LA? I wouldn't need to transfer terminal right?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:52 am

missed your reply! thank you so much. thats very helpful. Do you still need to go through security for a document check if they can check your luggage all the way to LA? I wouldn't need to transfer terminal right?
If BOTH tickets are with Avianca you don't need to change terminal as both flights operate out of T1. You would still need to go through security and document check even though.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Lifetime Plat, AV Diamond
Try copa

Instead of connecting in Bogotá connect in Panama city...
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
If BOTH tickets are with Avianca you don't need to change terminal as both flights operate out of T1. You would still need to go through security and document check even though.
sorry to ask again but if its one ticket sold by avianca from MDE-BOG-LAX and it only has a 1hr25min connection time when I transit in BOG to LA, would that be sufficient time? Thats the only ticket they are selling and I cant select an earlier flight from MDE to BOG
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:30 pm

That's more than enough time... The Medellín flights will usually get in early and you'll just have to clear immigration which should take no more than 30 mins
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by gimmedub
That's more than enough time... The Medellín flights will usually get in early and you'll just have to clear immigration which should take no more than 30 mins

thank you!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:59 am

This may be a redundant question, but just to confirm - intl. to intl. connections at Bogota (i.e. JFK-BOG-LIM) do not require going through immigration/customs, right?

Is a 2h20m connection sufficiently long?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:01 am

That's correct... No need to clear customs... Just look for the international connections after getting off the jet bridge...

Originally Posted by br2k
This may be a redundant question, but just to confirm - intl. to intl. connections at Bogota (i.e. JFK-BOG-LIM) do not require going through immigration/customs, right?

Is a 2h20m connection sufficiently long?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: BA GGL
Would it be possible to short-check bags on SJO-BOG-BOS? It's showing up $100 cheaper than SJO-BOG, and I'd gladly burn the last leg.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:06 am

Santa Marta - Bogotá - London on two different bookings

Hello,
I have a small question regarding a connecting flight with Avianca.
I will arrive to BOG from Santa Marta at 20.00 and will connect to another Avianca flight to London departing at 22.55 (and then connecting again to Nice, my final destination).
The only issue is that the Santa Marta - Bogotá and Bogotá - London - Nice are on two separate bookings so I am a bit worried about the connecting in Bogotá.
Do you know if the agents in Santa Marta can check my luggage all the way to Nice? Or if I would have to collect and check in my luggage in Bogotá? Any tips?

Many thanks for your help!
Adrien
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1mil. Marriott Titanium
Arriving in Bogota to connect to Brazil with a 35 min connect time, need to claim my bags and pass immigration in Bogota?
Called Aviance and they said need to ask the counter at the airport but I need to change the ticket if I need to pass immigration.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Arriving on a dom. flight in CO? - or what are we talking about? Or you mean arriving from the US and connecting to a AV flight to Brazil 35min later? In the latter situation you don't enter CO and no need to pass immigration or pick-up bags; just follow the sign for international transfer.

If sold as 1 ticket you will be fine. If you contemplate to purchase as separate tickets I wouldn't do it; too risky if incoming flight is late.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: Lifemiles, AAdvantage
35 MCT in BOG is way too risky but if AV sold you that, they should cover you in case something wrong will happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.