Help with Avianca connection at Bogota

Old May 24, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by coolcoil
I suspect that even if you can get the form at ADZ, you will still have to present it at check in at BOG to get your BP. I'm pretty sure the airlines are required to have the forms in their hands a the airport from which the international flight departs. That said, get it in ADZ if you can, because that will save you a step at BOG. I recall now that in my pre-resident days I did collect mine at MDE when I was connecting through BOG, but still had to do the BOG check in.
Not 100% sure what you mean, but when I fly MDE-BOG-IAH, I take care of the tax exemption in MDE every time. The agents in MDE always remind me because as they say (and they're right) the lines at BOG are terrible for this. It's a tiny booth with 2 people and flights to MIA/IAH/MEX and others all around 0000-0200.

I go to the booth at MDE, takes 2 minutes usually, I get my stamp and receipt/ticket deal, then the agents staple it to my IAH boarding pass.

Always get this stamp thing done at the smallest station you can. I'm not sure ADZ has one, they wouldn't unless they have international flights. I'm pretty sure though PEI has one since they have like 1-2 flights so that's the kinda place where I'd 100% try first rather than wait to BOG.
Old May 24, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Not 100% sure what you mean, but when I fly MDE-BOG-IAH, I take care of the tax exemption in MDE every time. The agents in MDE always remind me because as they say (and they're right) the lines at BOG are terrible for this. It's a tiny booth with 2 people and flights to MIA/IAH/MEX and others all around 0000-0200.

I go to the booth at MDE, takes 2 minutes usually, I get my stamp and receipt/ticket deal, then the agents staple it to my IAH boarding pass.

Always get this stamp thing done at the smallest station you can. I'm not sure ADZ has one, they wouldn't unless they have international flights. I'm pretty sure though PEI has one since they have like 1-2 flights so that's the kinda place where I'd 100% try first rather than wait to BOG.
Very useful indeed. Aero Republica flies from ADZ to PTY few minutes after my flight from ADZ departs to BOG. I'll definitely look for the stamp when I leave San Andres.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The agents in MDE always remind me because as they say (and they're right) the lines at BOG are terrible for this. It's a tiny booth with 2 people and flights to MIA/IAH/MEX and others all around 0000-0200.
I've never had an issue waiting in line at BOG for the exemption stamp, either in the old terminal or the new one.
Old May 25, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP

Good to know - it's been three years since I collected an exemption form, and it sounds like they improved the process. I agree that you are better off collecting your form at the outstation if you can, especially if you can get your BP. It makes tight connections in BOG a lot easier.

I know they can't do it at every station. I was recently on a flight from Santa Marta with an US citizen who had been instructed to collect his form and BP at BOG.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
Exit stamp

So, for future reference, I was able to get my exit stamp in ADZ.

Connections from El Dorado to Puente Aereo were also quite a breeze. My inbound flight arrived really early in the morning, so I had something like a 10 minutes wait for the bus in a not-so-nice area of the new terminal, but it was ok. On the return, around 8pm, the transfer was quite strait forward.

In the end, I found San Andres a wonderful destination and I was glad to have taken the decision to stay there a few more hours (and, then, have a more comfortable connection PA to ED).
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by AlexMC

Connections from El Dorado to Puente Aereo were also quite a breeze. My inbound flight arrived really early in the morning, so I had something like a 10 minutes wait for the bus in a not-so-nice area of the new terminal, but it was ok. On the return, around 8pm, the transfer was quite strait forward.

In the end, I found San Andres a wonderful destination and I was glad to have taken the decision to stay there a few more hours (and, then, have a more comfortable connection PA to ED).
Thanks for the update!

I'm glad to hear that all went well.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AlexMC

Thanks for the report. Maybe next time check out Providencia
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:12 pm

Hi,

I will be transferring internationally in Bogota on Avianca from London-BOG and then BOG-Lima. This is my first time in Bogota so I would like to know if 1 hr 30 mins of transit time will be enough time for the transfer if I do not have any check-in bags and all the flights are on ONE Avianca booking?
Would I need to go through immigration & security for the transfer?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by clutz
Hi,

I will be transferring internationally in Bogota on Avianca from London-BOG and then BOG-Lima. This is my first time in Bogota so I would like to know if 1 hr 30 mins of transit time will be enough time for the transfer if I do not have any check-in bags and all the flights are on ONE Avianca booking?
Would I need to go through immigration & security for the transfer?
That is plenty of time. BOG has int'l-to-int'l transfer that does not require you to go through immigration or retrieve your luggage.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:02 pm

Thanks coolcoil! Glad to know there's direct int'l-to-int'l transfer at BOG!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:31 am

So glad I stumbled upon this. Leaving tonight EWR-PTY-BOG-MDE business class using UA miles. Arrival in BOG at 7:15 and departure for MDE at 8:34. So will I have to go to the other terminal to make the domestic connection? And do you think the crowds are large at that time?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Kadence
So glad I stumbled upon this. Leaving tonight EWR-PTY-BOG-MDE business class using UA miles. Arrival in BOG at 7:15 and departure for MDE at 8:34. So will I have to go to the other terminal to make the domestic connection? And do you think the crowds are large at that time?
You don't change terminals for MDE, but you will have to clear immigration and customs. If you are checking bags, that could be a problem. Bag return is very slow at BOG right now. It's just a mess with all the construction.

I don't understand your routing . . . how long is that layover at PTY?

You should try to switch to a Copa nonstop from PTY to MDE. Take a Y seat if you can't get J. It's only a one hour flight.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
You don't change terminals for MDE, but you will have to clear immigration and customs. If you are checking bags, that could be a problem. Bag return is very slow at BOG right now. It's just a mess with all the construction.

I don't understand your routing . . . how long is that layover at PTY?

You should try to switch to a Copa nonstop from PTY to MDE. Take a Y seat if you can't get J. It's only a one hour flight.
Using United miles so I didn't have much choice.
EWR-PTY 11:59p-4:15a
PTY-BOG 5:45-7:15
BOG_MDE 8:34-9:33

Won't my bags be checked through to MDE from EWR?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Kadence
Using United miles so I didn't have much choice.
EWR-PTY 11:59p-4:15a
PTY-BOG 5:45-7:15
BOG_MDE 8:34-9:33

Won't my bags be checked through to MDE from EWR?
They are checked through but you have to pick them up and clear customs at BOG. You're entering Colombia.

It took an hour for my bags to show on the carousel last time I arrived at BOG. The good news is, if you miss, they'll just put you on a later flight to MDE.

Although I would still try in PTY to see if CM will put you on the nonstop to MDE. BOG is a mess and should be avoided if possible.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
They are checked through but you have to pick them up and clear customs at BOG. You're entering Colombia.

It took an hour for my bags to show on the carousel last time I arrived at BOG. The good news is, if you miss, they'll just put you on a later flight to MDE.

Although I would still try in PTY to see if CM will put you on the nonstop to MDE. BOG is a mess and should be avoided if possible.
Thanks for the advice. If I call United and ask if they can change me to a direct flight from PTY I'm sure they will charge me. Any suggestions? Should I just try the COPA desk in PTY?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.