Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Avianca to restart Business Class on 4 routes in Latam

Avianca to restart Business Class on 4 routes in Latam

Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:33 pm

As someone who has just done a lot of flying with AV I can confirm, while not excelling, they are not a ULCC.

If your route gets up gauged to a 787 then itíll be the full flat bed business as thatís what those all have. And yes they do serve champagne.

The short haul sectors are similar to any European network carrier, which Iím used to so no surprises there but realise itís frowned upon for North Americans.
All my flights were extremely punctual.

The A32S fleet has a lot of different configurations - some good and some bad. General rule is the newer the plane the worse itís going to be Iím afraid as the latest Neos - particularly the ones with tail painted on rear and not the rear fuselage (done to save money) have a crippling cruel seat set up thatíll need you needing a physio afterwards.

The latest press release about business class also mentioned the A330 which I thought had been retired, so what now theyíre bringing them back?!!
If itís the Wamos A330 then the business seats in these are actually pretty good.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Originally Posted by james17uk
As someone who has just done a lot of flying with AV I can confirm, while not excelling, they are not a ULCC.

If your route gets up gauged to a 787 then itíll be the full flat bed business as thatís what those all have. And yes they do serve champagne.

The short haul sectors are similar to any European network carrier, which Iím used to so no surprises there but realise itís frowned upon for North Americans.
All my flights were extremely punctual.

The A32S fleet has a lot of different configurations - some good and some bad. General rule is the newer the plane the worse itís going to be Iím afraid as the latest Neos - particularly the ones with tail painted on rear and not the rear fuselage (done to save money) have a crippling cruel seat set up thatíll need you needing a physio afterwards.

The latest press release about business class also mentioned the A330 which I thought had been retired, so what now theyíre bringing them back?!!
If itís the Wamos A330 then the business seats in these are actually pretty good.

James , what routes did you fly
How was catering?
Old Aug 16, 2023, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn
James , what routes did you fly
How was catering?
Various multi domestic around Colombia and Peru also with LHR/BOG.

Catering - actually surprisingly good on long haul. Good quality, proper presentation and well thought dishes. Short haul BOB and similar to Iberia/LH/LATAM.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Cheers James- Lhr-Bog has been on the go for some time

Still looking for info on the south american long haul routes where they have just reintroduced the full business class.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by malagajohn
Cheers James- Lhr-Bog has been on the go for some time

Still looking for info on the south american long haul routes where they have just reintroduced the full business class.
Same. I'm scheduled to fly GRU-BOG-LAX and really curious what the soft product is like.

Flew the wamos A330 in the angle flat seats in may before they reintroduced business class. It was dreadful.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Same. I'm scheduled to fly GRU-BOG-LAX and really curious what the soft product is like.

Flew the wamos A330 in the angle flat seats in may before they reintroduced business class. It was dreadful.
why dreadfull? I consider those seats to be on pair with LH seats in bussiness class in terms of comfort.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by josephniezbedny
why dreadfull? I consider those seats to be on pair with LH seats in bussiness class in terms of comfort.
The seat had almost no padding and the angle made it hard to sleep as I kept slipping down. Would rate the LH J seats much better.

Also the catering was non existent. The only drink they had was water on a 7hr flight :/
Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by josephniezbedny
Lol, is that the bar now?

Enjoy current LH J while it lasts, new seats coming any decade now 😅
Old Aug 19, 2023, 12:26 am

Programs: Northwest, United
They have NOT reintroduced business class, despite their press releases claims. That same "dreadful" Wamos A330 that you flew on is exactly what they're flying right now between LAX and BOG, not the 787 with lay-flat seats that they claim has been operating this route since July 1.

That aircraft MIGHT change in October 2023, but it's not a sure thing and Avianca has lied about it for some time now so it's anyone's guess about when they might start telling the truth about it.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
They have NOT reintroduced business class, despite their press releases claims. That same "dreadful" Wamos A330 that you flew on is exactly what they're flying right now between LAX and BOG, not the 787 with lay-flat seats that they claim has been operating this route since July 1.

That aircraft MIGHT change in October 2023, but it's not a sure thing and Avianca has lied about it for some time now so it's anyone's guess about when they might start telling the truth about it.
That's not reassuring :/

I'm scheduled to fly mid February so hopefully it'll be 787 by then
Old Aug 19, 2023, 12:20 pm

I think I am the only one who is not hapoy that avianca is bringing bussiness class. I did dozens of trips LAX - BOG - GRU in last 12 months and on both segments always had flat or almost flat seats (a330). my average cost for one way trip was always around $1200 which was supear cheap (includes economy ticket ans seat selection fee). I don't fly to drink cheap champagne or eat shity food. I just want to sleep. Avianca was the best for that.

I also fly a lot with Lufthansa and I really think avianca had a better seats in 787 and comparable in a330.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 1:28 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
That's not reassuring :/
No it's not. Neither is the breathtaking degree of dishonesty from this airline, constantly and continually misrepresenting what their current fleet is. I get it that it's PR's job to "spin" everything as positively as they can, and yes, I get it that 787 deliveries have been delayed. But to sell tickets now and show images of what's clearly a 787 business class lay-flat seat, but for the better part of a year (and continuing) to swap in an aircraft with a far inferior cabin/seat (that "dreadful" WamosA330 continues to fly LAX-BOG every day), all while maintaining the fiction (lies) that a 787 with lay-flat seats has been flying that route since July 1...that's just dishonest.

Add to that apparently cutting off the few remaining options for customers to contact a customer service agent (even via email, never mind via phone), and demanding payment for surprise (and expensive) "seat upgrade fees" at the boarding gate...does not instill a lot of confidence in me. I'm expecting a "Spirit Airlines with an accent" experience (at best). We'll see.

I'm scheduled to fly mid February so hopefully it'll be 787 by then
I'm also schedule to fly in (early) February so I'm hoping that by then, at least I get a seat on an aircraft that approximates what I paid for. But given the shameful way the company treats its customers, I do not have a lot of confidence in that. I'll be watching in October to see if the aircraft type finally switches or not.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
No it's not. Neither is the breathtaking degree of dishonesty from this airline, constantly and continually misrepresenting what their current fleet is. I get it that it's PR's job to "spin" everything as positively as they can, and yes, I get it that 787 deliveries have been delayed. But to sell tickets now and show images of what's clearly a 787 business class lay-flat seat, but for the better part of a year (and continuing) to swap in an aircraft with a far inferior cabin/seat (that "dreadful" WamosA330 continues to fly LAX-BOG every day), all while maintaining the fiction (lies) that a 787 with lay-flat seats has been flying that route since July 1...that's just dishonest.

Lufthansa is already showing new bussiness clas seats on their website but those seats will not be avaliable until 2025.

United was showing new polaris seats while majority of the airplanes were still using old product. Avianca is not doing anything different than other airlines.

And again a330 in avianca is comparable with current LH bussiness class seats.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 3:00 pm

One more thing of you dont like Avianca choose other airline. You have plenty of choices to fly from LAX incuding Copa but be ready to pay 3x what you pay in avianca for flat or almost flat seats!
Old Aug 23, 2023, 6:52 am

I just did BOG - LAX yesterday on A330 in bussiness. Seat padding is definitley better than padding in their 787 and better than in current LH bussiness class. I didn't eat onboard as I went to sleep as I had whole night of party ahead of me on LA. I did eat close to the airport at Pacific Seafood which I recommend for everyone. For $100 you get so much food and top line wines that in west parts of the world you will need to pay $300.

Onboard all was clean, nice blanket and quiet. I paid only $1200 for this ticket which is a steal!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.