Search

Buy Y Fly C?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Buy Y Fly C?

I noticed something weird recently.

They
streamlined their classes to xs s m l xl and xxl some time ago and xl xxl are international biz class. But for some reason, my upcoming jfk-bog and big-gig are both only up to L on A320s. I did buy L class. And I could choose the two front rows , which are 2-2 instead of 3-3. I chose 2K in both cases.

Did they deleted biz completely from their inventory on narrow bodies on international routes? Try on Avianca website.
Old May 19, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: LH FTL, AY+ Gold, BAEC Silver, AF FB
I don't think C disappeared on international routes entirely. They advertise and still sell C on their webpage, so it should be there. The most obvious explanation to me is that they put a machine on the route that is typically flying domestically and thus comes with the C-less seat configuration. The first 2-3 rows are "premium" seats with slightly more space (think they call it "Plus"), and an empty/converted middle seat that offers a table or so. Ergo, the 2-2 configuration when you select seats, but technically it's not C. So you could only buy the AV L fare, which is the best economy fare, giving you access to the front rows.

If it's a really a plane that comes with a classic C seat configuration (i.e. recliner as it's still narrowbody), but you bought the L fare, then my easiest explanation might also be: be grateful for a nice IT bug that gave you a better seat But to me it really sounds they put a C-less plane on that route.

I had a similar experience a couple of months ago, but on a domestic flight between BOG-CTG. I bought the cheapest fare that usually doesn't allow for free seat selection, but weirdly enough when checking in online, I was able to select any seat for free, incl. those premium ones in the front rows. So I did.
Old May 19, 2022, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AxelJF
I don't think C disappeared on international routes entirely. They advertise and still sell C on their webpage, so it should be there. The most obvious explanation to me is that they put a machine on the route that is typically flying domestically and thus comes with the C-less seat configuration. The first 2-3 rows are "premium" seats with slightly more space (think they call it "Plus"), and an empty/converted middle seat that offers a table or so. Ergo, the 2-2 configuration when you select seats, but technically it's not C. So you could only buy the AV L fare, which is the best economy fare, giving you access to the front rows.

If it's a really a plane that comes with a classic C seat configuration (i.e. recliner as it's still narrowbody), but you bought the L fare, then my easiest explanation might also be: be grateful for a nice IT bug that gave you a better seat But to me it really sounds they put a C-less plane on that route.

I had a similar experience a couple of months ago, but on a domestic flight between BOG-CTG. I bought the cheapest fare that usually doesn't allow for free seat selection, but weirdly enough when checking in online, I was able to select any seat for free, incl. those premium ones in the front rows. So I did.
you mean when you did the online checkin? Then it’s normal that you could choose the seat. I checked several international routes with narrow bodies, they only sell up to L class. BOG-GIG should be a key route and I’d be surprised that they’d switch to domestic planes. Actually I don’t know if they retrofitted those plans for domestic routes to Y only seating or kept as they were before. Let’s wait and see. I’ll report back.
Old May 20, 2022, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by maplenight
you mean when you did the online checkin? Then it’s normal that you could choose the seat.
Yes, during online check-in. But I had bought the cheapest fare that does not allow for free seat selection and yet I was able to select the front row seats. So, I was thinking you may have had the same experience.
But well.
Let us know how it looks in the end inside the machine.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
Same weird experience here and my first *A AV purchase. Purchased business one way LPB-BOG-GRU and it came back with Z class on the BOG-GRU leg and with "S" (which is bad ... economy) for LPB-BOG.
Nevertheless, first thing I do is book my seats and lo and behold, I was able to book 2D in the front cabin for both legs.
Really weird. I wonder how LH miles and less will credit this into my account.....
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:34 am

For when have you booked your flights? Keep in mind that AV just recently announced that they get rid of business class entirely in all non-Europe-bound flights. So Y only, everywhere else. Only difference is these 2-3 front rows that are essentially Y seats with a blocked middle seat. So front rows won't mean much anymore flying AV.

Originally Posted by IsleSeat
I wonder how LH miles and less will credit this into my account.....
You said you got Z class for flight 1 and S class for flight 2. You saw that in your booking confirmation? AV usually doesn't display the booking classes anywhere. Only when you receive your email that you can check in you see the booking class revealed the first time - unless you have bought it via the Amex portal for example. If Z and S are really your booking classes, then you won't earn much. It's within the two lowest eco fare classes you can get with AV. Min. 250 miles per segment, otherwise 0.5x and 0.25x of the distance, respectively. It's not uncommon for AV to have two different fare classes for itineraries with more than one segment. Had this before as well. But definitely cross-check your credited mileage. I made the experience that M&M did it wrongly a few times with AV flights - too few miles, extremely late, or not at all and you gotta contact CS and wait ages...
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

I’m finally on one of these weird flight. I didn’t fly the revenue ticket from jfk to bog. I’m now on a av miles economy ticket from bog to gig. A320 neo. I could select the front rows 2-2 instead of the back rows 3-3. It’s actually a kinda hybrid of Y and C seats. It’s definitely wider, with a table in between and charger under. I’m thrilled to have it as I paid for Y. But I’d be so pissed if I had paid for C. So conclusion, don’t buy C on AV narrow bodies.

Taten_R.O.C. likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.