Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (from January 2022 onwards)

Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: italdesign
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)
- no availability showing at all on the website (try logging out and logging back in)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

You need to have 40% of the miles in your account for them to make the booking. On some occasions, credit card points do not transfer over immediately. In such cases also send screenshots of the points being debited from your credit card. In some cases the LM account will immediately show the points transferred in the account activity section. Send a screenshot of that as well.

After a day or two, you will get a reply via email saying the matter has been escalated to an internal area. The next day someone will call you from 305 447 2819 and will process the payment over the phone. You will need to set a PIN which you can do in your online LM account (under the account access section of your online profile).

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected] (invalid as of July 2022)
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
========

Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (from January 2022 onwards)

Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AS 75k
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
This is a good example where you can use the screenshot method.

Routing is allowed either atlantic or pacific.
Great, thanks for the information I'll give it a go!
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by barabbas90
Trying to book USA (any gateway)-IST-MNL (or the other direction) on Turkish using Lifemiles. Finding individual segments as available, but when I search JFK-MNL while specifying Turkish Air it tells me that "this route isnt available for this specific airline."
It's one of the things they implemented to stop the boomerangs.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 1:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AS 75k
Originally Posted by mlqsko
It's one of the things they implemented to stop the boomerangs.

Usually I'm good with the terminology here, but boomerang is stumping me. Is that basically circuitous routing, or like trying to fly JFK to YYZ via NRT and claiming that it should price as a US to Canada ticket?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: QF, LM
Trying to book USA (any gateway)-IST-MNL (or the other direction) on Turkish using Lifemiles. Finding individual segments as available, but when I search JFK-MNL while specifying Turkish Air it tells me that "this route isnt available for this specific airline."...
Barabbbas, first thing, LM is truly fickle. Often when you select a specific airline it gives that dreaded message that "this route is unavailable with that airline", but even so, if you allow it to use "other" airlines, it suddenly lets you book via the same airline you tried in the first instance... Second thing, many LM award fares are only available either almost a year out, or in the next few weeks. I have found recently for my routes that Turkish is in the middle. And thirdly, and perhaps useful, is that some airlines will show availabilty as a multi-segment A-B-C when a simple search of A-C brings on that dreaded message. But if you go down this latter path you pay for individual segments, which is expensive.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
If segments A-B-C are showing, but A-C is not, that’s when the screenshot booking process can be used. You pay only the through fare, not the sum of each segment.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Usually I'm good with the terminology here, but boomerang is stumping me. Is that basically circuitous routing, or like trying to fly JFK to YYZ via NRT and claiming that it should price as a US to Canada ticket?
That’s a theoretical example of the boomerang.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 7:32 pm

Just logged in for the first time in months and saw my LM miles had expired this month and were deducted from my balance.

Any recourse here or am I out of luck?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
I had booked DRO-DEN-ONT on UA with Lifemiles. After a flight cancellation, they automatically put me on DRO-DEN-SFO-ONT. Unfortunately, the Avianca site would not allow me to manage this booking online. I called AV and asked if they could change me to DRO-DEN-LAX, they could not. However, while working on my reservation, they cancelled my DRO-DEN-SFO-ONT reservations, and then said that they can not get it back due to no availability... As I've seen others post about, she instructed me to call UA and have them create space for me again on the DRO-DEN-SFO-ONT flights.

While on the call, I am seeing the DRO-DEN-LAX flight that I wanted is available on lifemiles.com for the same number of miles I redeemed for the original reservation, so I asked that they refund my booking so I can rebook on my own. After being transferred to a Lifemiles agent, they agreed to issue a refund of miles and taxes.

So, while I did ultimately get the flights I wanted, it was certainly in a roundabout way.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:12 pm

Why am I the only one have problem wtih LM booking engine. I select my flights, it takes me to the details, I enter my credit card and click redemption but nothing happens. Tried over 20 times, with different browsers, including the app and different credit cards. I am experienced traveled agent. Maybe they flagged my account? Does anyone have any thoughts. I did one ticket about a year and it worked then. Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 5:40 pm

Is it just me or is there barely any availability for UA tix? Looking to get on UA metal in J or F and it looks like only last-minute space is open. Has this always been the case, or is it worth working with the booking center via email to uncover some UA space?
Scott Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 6:03 pm

UA sells their F and J space for 200k miles plus in their program. This is why you almost never see this here.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HistoricalFlyer
Is it just me or is there barely any availability for UA tix? Looking to get on UA metal in J or F and it looks like only last-minute space is open. Has this always been the case, or is it worth working with the booking center via email to uncover some UA space?
The booking centre can only see what we see on line. If you can't see it, they won't be able to help.

If you can find availability on individual segments, but not the whole trip, you can use the screenshot method to have LM book it. (For example if you find A-B and B-C separately, but nothing for A-C you can email them and request they put it together).
Old Jan 29, 2022, 6:22 pm

Tomasz Pa : Although I'm not sure it's fair to compare MP miles to LM 1:1 in terms of redemption threshold, I totally get what you're saying. Has this scarcity in UA award F/J via LM always been the case? I'm trying to figure out if UA premium award space went to the dogs with this Jan 2022 site refresh...

LHR/MEL/Europe FF : Was hoping the booking center might offer some premium availability as it seems they've done with SQ at their discretion on rare occasion. I'm just having a tough time stomaching UA F/J is so scarce on LM--almost seems like an error. Alas, perhaps this is reality now and reflective of LM being at the bottom of the *A feeding chain.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
It's gotten worse.
A few months back I was able to pick between multiple gateways to LHR for the same day.
HistoricalFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HistoricalFlyer

LHR/MEL/Europe FF : Was hoping the booking center might offer some premium availability as it seems they've done with SQ at their discretion on rare occasion. I'm just having a tough time stomaching UA F/J is so scarce on LM--almost seems like an error. Alas, perhaps this is reality now and reflective of LM being at the bottom of the *A feeding chain.
I have been offered SQ J - but only after submitting a screen-shot booking and the availability in that had disappeared by the time they processed it. As an example, in 2019 I needed to request a screenshot booking for ICN-BKK-SYD on TG. ICN-BKK and BKK-SYD were showing, but nothing or ICN-SYD. By the time LM got back to me the TG availability had gone, but they offered me ICN-SIN-SYD on SQ, all in J.

The call centre wouldn't have been able to see the SQ-SQ, And LM only offered it because TG had gone.
HistoricalFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.