Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (from January 2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: italdesign
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)
- no availability showing at all on the website (try logging out and logging back in)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

You need to have 40% of the miles in your account for them to make the booking. On some occasions, credit card points do not transfer over immediately. In such cases also send screenshots of the points being debited from your credit card. In some cases the LM account will immediately show the points transferred in the account activity section. Send a screenshot of that as well.

After a day or two, you will get a reply via email saying the matter has been escalated to an internal area. The next day someone will call you from 305 447 2819 and will process the payment over the phone. You will need to set a PIN which you can do in your online LM account (under the account access section of your online profile).

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected] (invalid as of July 2022)
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
========

Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (from January 2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:04 pm

Be careful buying miles. I just made a purchase but the miles didn't appear in my account. I called and they said they don't know when the miles will appear, but hopefully within 24 hours.

Given Lifemiles is only good if you have a specific flight you have in mind and they don't allow ticket holds, this drastically decreases the viability of Lifemiles.

At least they allow me to cancel the miles purchase given it was made on the same day, but it's still more hassle than it's worth.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
I was booking a seat which said "1 seat left" and I got an error upon checking out, now when I refresh the date to start the process again the seat is gone .. how long is the seat on hold in the inventory until it is released again ? note: I never checked out, it's stuck in the system I'm assuming. Other dates have that same flight and I am able to checkout but not my desired date.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by royal757
I was booking a seat which said "1 seat left" and I got an error upon checking out, now when I refresh the date to start the process again the seat is gone .. how long is the seat on hold in the inventory until it is released again ? note: I never checked out, it's stuck in the system I'm assuming. Other dates have that same flight and I am able to checkout but not my desired date.
Can be anywhere from 24-72 hours. Depending on the ticketing requirements of the airline providing the seat/carriage.

If you have all the details it is sometimes possible for LM agents to find the booking by date, name, flight number etc.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Untill you receive the "You’ve redeemed LifeMiles!" email, zero guarantees. You are not calling the Delta Platinum Medallion line. I would only contact customer service directly for cancellations and involuntary flight changes; otherwise the process is wearing at best.
Shockingly, I got right through to a representative, who wasn't able to see the space. Odd to have so many sites showing the same phantom space (I checked a couple more *A sites in addition to the ones listed above, including TAP Air), but I'm going to assume it is indeed phantom space and let it go.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:31 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by glasszon
Be careful buying miles. I just made a purchase but the miles didn't appear in my account. I called and they said they don't know when the miles will appear, but hopefully within 24 hours.
Just to share my experience yesterday when buying 1k mls under the latest promo (to qualify for the 15% off the next redemption) and the miles + bonus miles posted instantly to my account. I used a credit card already stored on my profile and used repeatedly for purchases and redemptions (with success). YMMV.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by demue
Just to share my experience yesterday when buying 1k mls under the latest promo (to qualify for the 15% off the next redemption) and the miles + bonus miles posted instantly to my account. I used a credit card already stored on my profile and used repeatedly for purchases and redemptions (with success). YMMV.
To add another data point to this my experience was also free of any issues or problems. I bought some LM miles yesterday and they posted to my account immediately. The expiration date was initially wrong and took about 8-9 hours to update and reflect the correct expiration of a year from yesterday.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hi and welcome to FT!

The new expiration date after a purchase usually updates overnight.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:07 pm

Quick question. When booking a trip, can i use a combination of lifemiles and pay with a credit card? And is it relatively simple to transfers points from my Amex MR to lifemiles?

thank you
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by michael1023
Quick question. When booking a trip, can i use a combination of lifemiles and pay with a credit card? And is it relatively simple to transfers points from my Amex MR to lifemiles?

thank you
Yes, you can use miles+cash.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 7:43 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
If I can see *A (OS) partner award space available on the Lifemiles site, the UA site, and Expertflyer, but not via AC or SQ, is there any way to tell if it's phantom space before I transfer points into Lifemiles? Do I need to call, and if so, will they hold the space while I transfer in the points? There's only one seat left.
Expertflyer!
Old Oct 15, 2022, 7:48 am

Was anyone able to make a reservation online in the last 24 hours?

The "Complete your reservation" button is grayed out at the last step of the booking process. It happens on all browsers and the mobile app as well. It does look like it is creating a reservation in the back end and taking away the availability but I am not able to complete the reservation online.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Similar experience, I wanted to check some routes for options / availability and whenever I clicked the search button after inputting the details it would come up with that ominous LM message that something went wrong. Gave up after 2-3 attempts and hope it sorts itself out over next few days. Fingers crossed.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by demue
Similar experience, I wanted to check some routes for options / availability and whenever I clicked the search button after inputting the details it would come up with that ominous LM message that something went wrong. Gave up after 2-3 attempts and hope it sorts itself out over next few days. Fingers crossed.
Great. Plenty of points but no way to use them.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 9:06 am

It was working fine for me today, back to what is considered normal website /award search behavior for LM. So basically a bit wonky, but pulling up results at least.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
I booked SFO - PPT to/from without issue, relatively speaking. I still wish the mixed cabin worked, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.