Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Fees for Business Class?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Baggage Fees for Business Class?

I'm flying J from SJO-LAX with Star Alliance gold and was charged $55 for a bag. I booked an award ticket with United miles and my fare class was I. My companion (no status) booked the exact same itinerary and was charged nothing.

Does this seem right?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: Lifemiles, AAdvantage
What is J? Business ? You may want to show part of your booking record to see what were the terms your lifemiles purchase made, because depending on which "size" you booked with miles, you should have gotten a bag included.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Etheereal
What is J? Business ? You may want to show part of your booking record to see what were the terms your lifemiles purchase made, because depending on which "size" you booked with miles, you should have gotten a bag included.
I used J as an abbreviation for business but maybe that's not a good letter to use. The fare class on my confirmation is I.

I booked through United so I don't know what size I booked. I'm under the impression that *Gold gets a free bag regardless.

My companion booked the exact same thing and didn't pay despite having no status with anyone which I find even more confusing.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 1:20 pm

Programs: Lifemiles, AAdvantage
*Gold as Avianca or United? I'd suggest you call LM and see what they can tell u about it. I've never booked from united via LM so its kinda strange that you didnt get the proper bag allowance, since Business has a 32kg checked baggage allowed.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Etheereal
*Gold as Avianca or United? I'd suggest you call LM and see what they can tell u about it. I've never booked from united via LM so its kinda strange that you didnt get the proper bag allowance, since Business has a 32kg checked baggage allowed.
I'm United *Gold (United 1K). Never flown avianca before so I have no status with them .

Just seems crazy they would charge for checked luggage in business class to anyone but I thought *Gold gets a free bag with just a few exceptions (i.e. Lufthansa European flights).
Old Nov 11, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Flown several times Avianca SFO-SAL in business (clase ejecutiva)
Allowed 2 x 70 lbs + an extra bag which is either 20 kg (44lbs), 50 lbs or 70 lbs depending on what they feel like it.
I have United Gold so Star Alliance Gold. No primary status with Avianca/Taca
Old Nov 11, 2021, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keisari
Flown several times Avianca SFO-SAL in business (clase ejecutiva)
Allowed 2 x 70 lbs + an extra bag which is either 20 kg (44lbs), 50 lbs or 70 lbs depending on what they feel like it.
I have United Gold so Star Alliance Gold. No primary status with Avianca/Taca
I can't find any policy that specifies whether I should have had to pay for these bags. Think this is worth disputing with my credit card?
Old Dec 19, 2021, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by catbox9
I can't find any policy that specifies whether I should have had to pay for these bags. Think this is worth disputing with my credit card?
I don't see why you would dispute with the credit card company since you agreed to pay the fee. You should dispute with AV and ask for a refund. Star gold automatically gets a free bag unless your bag was oversized.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by catbox9
I don't see why you would dispute with the credit card company since you agreed to pay the fee. You should only do so for fraudulent charges that you did not authorized. AV could put you on a blacklist if you attempted this. You should dispute with AV directly and ask for a refund. Star gold automatically gets a free bag unless your bag was oversized.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: Miles&More, Miles&Smiles, ALL, HHonors
There is probably a lot of confusion with the new Avianca fares, especially for tickets issued by other airlines. I have a Swiss business class paid ticket, and as part of the trip BOG-MEX business class flight with Avianca. Swiss shows 0 luggage on this sector, Avianca shows 1 luggage 23 kg, Avianca ticket office informed me 1 luggage 32 kg (tariff XL).

Last edited by Pedroo; Dec 31, 2021 at 6:13 pm
Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: LifeMiles
I agree with the previous poster and think they don't quite have it figured out with the new fares because I flew Business Class with Lufthansa followed by Avianca on an awards ticket. Avianca website said 1x 32kg. Lufthansa's said 1x 23kg but when I went to check in they said I was allowed to take 2x 32kg because it's the standard for any business class seat.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
As someone who flys almost exclusively on points, I can explain the confusion.

Many times when you are booking a partner fare, when that gate agent pulls up the fare details, there is nothing there.

At that point its your word vs theres. If I'm flying on a partner with an award ticket, I always have proof either from an email or even printed out that the fare includes a bag.

However, for J this is highly unusual. Seems just like some kind of error. My guess: The gate agent figured a bag was included but since the baggage information on the award ticket was blank, they probably charged you just in case since they didn't want to get in trouble with their boss.

In 99% of cases when you fly J, status or no status, your bag is included. Except perhaps on long haul Air Asia i've never heard of business class not including a bag.

Don't bother contacting Avianca, you won't get any compensation from them no matter what the situation. But if you send a complaint to United about the mixup I bet you they will throw you some free mileageplus miles. I'd ask for 10k miles for your time, they'll probably give it to you, if you think its worth your time to file the complaint.

Last edited by PointsPanda; Jan 23, 2022 at 7:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.