Wiki Posts
Search

Non AV *G privileges on Columbia routes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
Non AV *G privileges on Columbia routes

1) What is the Avianca baggage allowance for * G in the XS fare - the information on the website is not clear.

According to https://www.avianca.com/co/en/before...ggage/checked/
"If you are a Star Alliance Gold member, you will be able to carry an additional 20 kg piece, regardless of the fare."

but on the Avianca elites baggage allowance section there is a note:
"Extra baggage does not apply to LifeMiles Elite members who purchased the XS tariff."

Does Avianca offer free baggage on XS fares for * G excluding Lifemile Elites ?

2) Does a non-AV * G have access to seat selection in fares where selection is not included?
Do they offer access to better seats or compl. business upgrades for *G ?

3) According the webpage the XS fare is excluded from millage earning on AV Lifemiles. What about other Star Alliance FFP ?
Old Nov 30, 2021, 3:18 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Bumping this, would be interested in knowing the answers to these as well, as the baggage information seems pretty contradictory?
Old Dec 24, 2021, 9:49 am

Bumping again, I'm interested too.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 6:31 pm

long time ago I booked a X on UA through lifemiles. UA website and agent cannot change my frequent flyer to UA even at check-in therefore I didn't enjoy *G benefits.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: Miles&More, Miles&Smiles, ALL, HHonors
My experience

My recent experience with the new Avianca baggage policy. Avianca staff is not very knowledgeable about how it works. Even at check-in, no one knows what kind of baggage is allowed. In general Avianca staff informed us that XS tariff and *G allowed only carry-on luggage.

I’m LH G and finally allowed baggage at national flights:
- tariff M: carry-on baggage, 2 checked baggage
- tariff XS: no carry-on baggage, 1 checked baggage (but at check-in also possible to receive yellow sticker for carry-on)

Last edited by Pedroo; Dec 31, 2021 at 6:16 pm
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Pedroo
My recent experience with the new Avianca baggage policy. Avianca staff is not very knowledgeable about how it works. Even at check-in, no one knows what kind of baggage is allowed. In general Avianca staff informed us that XS tariff and *G allowed only carry-on luggage.

I’m LH G and finally allowed baggage at national flights:
- tariff M: carry-on baggage, 2 checked baggage
- tariff XS: no carry-on baggage, 1 checked baggage (but at check-in also possible to receive yellow sticker for carry-on)

Are there your first AV flights with its new policy or the first your status (and baggag benefit) has been recognised?

In less than three hours I have BOG MDE on XS fare and hope there won't be any problems at all with a 9kg backpack
UPDATE: at BOG counter they didn't know exactly what to do and asking a third agent the response checked baggage isn't allowed on XS but from the beginning I said I wanted it as carry on the was given me an useless sticker but the agent made nothing on boarding pass (hopefully I had no problem at the gate, a little less at lounge)

Last edited by Sciamano; Jan 1, 2022 at 12:52 pm Reason: Update
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:28 am

How do I associate my non Avianca Star Alliance Gold status with my amount at all? I've tried entering my frequent flyer number with my home airline but it "forgets" it every time I make a new reservation.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Sigh, came here to ask this, and it appears that its hit or miss...
User8181416 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by User8181416
How do I associate my non Avianca Star Alliance Gold status with my amount at all? I've tried entering my frequent flyer number with my home airline but it "forgets" it every time I make a new reservation.
At check-in / OLCI or at the check-in counters
Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
No priority boarding for non AV *G?? That is the first time I have heard this (and we have def gotten it before)

——-

As an aside, I bought 1 M fare for me (and XS for the rest). Fare included 1 bag of 23kg and my *G got a seconds bag that could be 25kg (twenty five). It was absolutely all of that 25, so that was a nice “bonus”

——

I asked about *G at the gate and he said while they do not do it normally, he will allow us to board with business class and Avianca elites (of which there are incredibly few on this flight). Odd stuff

Last edited by pmarrsouth; Jan 26, 2022 at 9:17 am
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:00 pm

@Sciamano @Pedroo @pmarrsouth did you earn any miles to your non-LifeMiles frequent flyer program with those XS-tickets?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by drvb
@Sciamano @Pedroo @pmarrsouth did you earn any miles to your non-LifeMiles frequent flyer program with those XS-tickets?
Yes! While I was on an M fare, the person who had a ConnectMiles account with the XS fare got 500 miles per leg (this is the minimum amount of miles granted for AV legs when you are earning with ConnectMiles)
drvb likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by drvb
Yes, credited to other FFPs.
drvb likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: LH FTL, AY+ Gold, BAEC Silver, AF FB
Today I flew BOG-RCH with AV and decided last minute to check in a bag. My booking was in their S fare (one personal item + one piece of hand luggage) with my LH silver status recorded. Went to the counter to change it to my TAP Gold number in order to get the free additional bag as per star alliance policy (while already mentally preparing myself for arguments). Surprisingly, the agent immediately told me that my recorded silver status already comes with a free bag (which you don't read anywhere!). That, of course, came as a big pleasant surprise. Mission accomplished in less than two minutes!

At boarding, however, I was flagged and was asked whether I paid for my bag and if I attached the tag correctly. Quickly explained that I didn't use the self-service baggage drop, but did the check-in with an AV staff member at the counter and that I got the bag based on status. That solved the issue and I could board.

Of course, can't say if that's the standard now (was told it's always been like that), if the lady at the check-in messed something up did me a favour (if that's even possible, since the system would need to allow it, or?) and if next time all this will be totally different again... never tried to add luggage based on status so far. Probably flying this route again in about two weeks and likely to add luggage again. Will report how that unfolds.
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
Thanks for sharing this experience. I am thinking about flying domestically within Colombia so this will help, but it still seems like a hit-or-miss. That said, when you expect less... there (hopefully) would be better and more positive surprises.
LisaH and Etheereal like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.