FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avianca-lifemiles-amigo-716/)
-   -   Avianca delayed my baggage for almost a year and now it is still going on... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avianca-lifemiles-amigo/2032685-avianca-delayed-my-baggage-almost-year-now-still-going.html)

HenrySu1220 Jan 18, 2021 12:42 pm

Avianca delayed my baggage for almost a year and now it is still going on...

I flew back from BOG to JFK in March 2020 and my baggage at that moment, was staying with Avianca in BOG, the staff told me it would come back with the next flight and would sent to me within 3 days. I guess they then forget to do it, after a few days, I still haven't received my baggage back, tried to reach out to them then the flight already suspended due to Covid-19, Then things become quite tricky, as my baggage is not missing, so the case is still not claiming as missing, they refused offering me the claim of the missing baggage, though I personally still hope my baggage could be back after a certain period of time, so I was still on with them to solve the problem. Avianca either did not respond the email or case claims or respond them like once over two months periods, so even now the flight has already resumed from BOG to JFK for a significant amount of months, I still had to deal with their customer service like in a monthly or yearly super slow fashion. As everyone probably knew, there is no way to get them on hold over the phone within hours. Now my baggage will be delaying for almost an anniversary, pending one additional month, will celebrate this super long baggage delaying! Guess how long will Avianca close this case?

nufnuf77 Jan 22, 2021 9:11 am

do you have a property irregularity report?

Often1 Jan 22, 2021 10:25 am

Under the Montreal Convention, if your bag was not delivered within 20 days, e.g., by the 21st day, it is deemed lost and you are entitled to a reimbursement of the fair market value of the bag and its contents up to a maximum of approximately USD 1,650. You may file a claim for that amount (with as many receipts as possible) and then, presuming that you are in New York, file a Complaint in small claims court if the claim is not paid.

It may be easier to go through your travel insurance, but most travel insurance has very short deadlines for claims and you are likely way beyond that.

HenrySu1220 Feb 1, 2021 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32987130)
Under the Montreal Convention, if your bag was not delivered within 20 days, e.g., by the 21st day, it is deemed lost and you are entitled to a reimbursement of the fair market value of the bag and its contents up to a maximum of approximately USD 1,650. You may file a claim for that amount (with as many receipts as possible) and then, presuming that you are in New York, file a Complaint in small claims court if the claim is not paid.

It may be easier to go through your travel insurance, but most travel insurance has very short deadlines for claims and you are likely way beyond that.

Thank you for your information!