Strange award pricing

Old Sep 22, 20, 4:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: LAX
Posts: 69
Strange award pricing

Can someone explain why the taxes and fess are different on these flights. Thanks!
sbgmiles is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 8:11 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Posts: 948
Different fees for different stopover airports?
kq747 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 10:18 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 12,792
Originally Posted by sbgmiles View Post
Can someone explain why the taxes and fess are different on these flights. Thanks!
The first option involves a domestic transfer within the U.S. The second one involves LHR, i.e. APD. The third one involves a transfer that is not in the U.S. or the U.K., which can be Canada.
garykung is offline  
Old Sep 23, 20, 1:06 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 6,817
or could it be that the second option involves LH (rather than UA or AC). LH YQ surcharges etc are quite high/much higher than UA/AC,
SK AAR is offline  
Old Sep 23, 20, 2:14 am
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Gringolandia y LatinoAmerica a veces EU y Asia
Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
The first option involves a domestic transfer within the U.S. The second one involves LHR, i.e. APD. The third one involves a transfer that is not in the U.S. or the U.K., which can be Canada.
Senor APD is exempted for itineraries that use LHR as an international-to-international connecting point and LM never tickets with a stopover of duration that will trigger APD. Like the itins shown in OP screenshot.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exemptio...passenger-duty

LH does charge more redemption tax in general than other Star carriers it is true.

Buut LM's fees and taxes computation is strange to say the least and in some cases it seems very high...but also there are cases when it appears lower than e.g. UA MP offers (si, if you can duplicate the LM itin). If you use LM enough, you will lose some and then win some.
ReinaDeLaSelva is offline  
Old Sep 23, 20, 11:19 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 12,792
Originally Posted by ReinaDeLaSelva View Post
Senor APD is exempted for itineraries that use LHR as an international-to-international connecting point and LM never tickets with a stopover of duration that will trigger APD. Like the itins shown in OP screenshot.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exemptio...passenger-duty

LH does charge more redemption tax in general than other Star carriers it is true.

Buut LM's fees and taxes computation is strange to say the least and in some cases it seems very high...but also there are cases when it appears lower than e.g. UA MP offers (si, if you can duplicate the LM itin). If you use LM enough, you will lose some and then win some.
We are just guessing here...given we don't really have the most accurate information...
garykung is offline  
Old Sep 23, 20, 5:40 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: LAX
Posts: 69
Thanks for your input. I found that if it is higher than I would like, I just need to check back later. it is always changing.
sbgmiles is offline  
Old Sep 23, 20, 8:15 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 10,394
Originally Posted by sbgmiles View Post
Thanks for your input. I found that if it is higher than I would like, I just need to check back later. it is always changing.
Some partner surcharges are not going to change even if you call later; same for some specific airport taxes...
fly747first is offline  
Old Sep 23, 20, 10:26 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Programs: Alaska
Posts: 1,316
some airports charge a fee even if you just transit. some airpots don't. e.g. international to domestic Australian transit is quite expensive, and different from state to state.

You need show us the transit airport to know better.

my guess is $5.6 is transit in US with UA
freed0m is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: