Community
Wiki Posts
Search

going out of business sale?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
going out of business sale?

Been here, done that. Not that LifeMiles has anything to sell other than miles, but the prospect does exist for LifeMiles and Avianca to cease to exist in the not so distant future. Sitting here with hundreds of thousands of miles without a clue how to leverage the situation. Might consider speculative buying of a ticket to somewhere in a date well into the future but no clue if the airlines will continue to exists. Here and there I hear United Airlines would love to have Avianca but United isn't doing well either. The LifeMiles web site is working now so that is a good thing.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: Alaska
if lifemiles is gone, your future ticket will not be honored.
QF ExLurker and Etheereal like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:52 pm

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Been here, done that. Not that LifeMiles has anything to sell other than miles, but the prospect does exist for LifeMiles and Avianca to cease to exist in the not so distant future. Sitting here with hundreds of thousands of miles without a clue how to leverage the situation. Might consider speculative buying of a ticket to somewhere in a date well into the future but no clue if the airlines will continue to exists. Here and there I hear United Airlines would love to have Avianca but United isn't doing well either. The LifeMiles web site is working now so that is a good thing.
Maybe buy hotels or rental cars using miles.

Just now I tried to book a hotel in SYD using LM. I was taken to booking.com where I can earn LM but can't burn them. Maybe in the Americas it's possible to burn on hotels or rental cars.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
basics of this mileage game.
dont sit on a big pile of miles (earn and burn at sustainable rates).
Best is to binge on some luxurious F class flights in the late summer or winter 2020. book them now.
keisari and vincewy like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
basics of this mileage game.
dont sit on a big pile of miles (earn and burn at sustainable rates).
Best is to binge on some luxurious F class flights in the late summer or winter 2020. book them now.
That advice assumes that the award tickets will honoured by the carrying airline if Avianca becomes bankrupt before the flight date.

IMO that assumption is wrong.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:50 am

Why wouldn’t the tickets be honored if they are ticketed?

who would be the best airlines to use (based on ones that historically honored ticketed resv)? Lufthansa, United, Swiss, Ana, Singapore?

thanks
view-with-a-room likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by globaltrotter
Why wouldn’t the tickets be honored if they are ticketed?
because the airline providing the flight only gets paid once the passenger has flown and if, at that point, the airline issuing the ticket no longer exists or has no/insufficient money left, the carrier won't be paid and, since they know they won't be paid, they will therefore refuse to carry the passenger for free.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
because the airline providing the flight only gets paid once the passenger has flown and if, at that point, the airline issuing the ticket no longer exists or has no/insufficient money left, the carrier won't be paid and, since they know they won't be paid, they will therefore refuse to carry the passenger for free.
Exactly.

Now that's sorted, can I repeat my question.
Has anyone burned LM on hotels anywhere, e.g. in the Americas?
That might be a way of burning miles quickly even if you don't want to fly soon..
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:16 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Sigh. I’ve cashed in my last 78k miles for a J class ticket on ANA next January. Fingers crossed!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by QF ExLurker
Exactly.

Now that's sorted, can I repeat my question.
Has anyone burned LM on hotels anywhere, e.g. in the Americas?
That might be a way of burning miles quickly even if you don't want to fly soon..
The hotels have all shut down. Rhetorical.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:43 pm

I cancelled my Club Lifemiles purchases as a precaution. Fingers crossed they don't go under, but the Lifemiles program seems lucrative.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I had already gotten my exposure to LifeMiles down to less than 10k miles a few months back on anticipation of there being problems ahead for this sector and the likelihood of US airline program balances being relatively safer than various non-US airline programs where I had (or sort of still have) substantial balances.

My biggest exposure to airline program balances are in the US, but the main US programs are relatively better positioned to make it out of this period than a lot of smaller carriers’ programs outside of the US.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Si senor you are correct. I believe the US major balances are safer for many reasons including the unwillingness of the Federales to allow majors to go down and the mutual dependency of both the majors and their FFP on the big credit card providers. I do have some LM, a useful amount several hundred Ks plus some pending redeposits for cancelled flights LOL! Yes I do not know if these will be viable in the longer term as you say. I did not take strong risk reduction measures you did but still I have not been accumulating hard on LM for a year.

I used LM for my last flight, a short notice Asia-US redemption last month when I was in SIN... NH F. Who knows maybe the last time, at the least it was a good moment to use these LM in this way.
wijibintheair likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I had already gotten my exposure to LifeMiles down to less than 10k miles a few months back on anticipation of there being problems ahead for this sector and the likelihood of US airline program balances being relatively safer than various non-US airline programs where I had (or sort of still have) substantial balances.

My biggest exposure to airline program balances are in the US, but the main US programs are relatively better positioned to make it out of this period than a lot of smaller carriers’ programs outside of the US.
I was almost at that point... and then the trip I spent 70k or so LifeMiles on went to crap with visa withdrawals and forced quarantines (should I be so foolish to actually attempt this trip). Now I wait for possible cancellations. The Alaska miles I spent came back with no issue, Avianca is, well, Avianca. You get what you pay for with these guys.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by globaltrotter

who would be the best airlines to use (based on ones that historically honored ticketed resv)? Lufthansa, United, Swiss, Ana, Singapore?

thanks
Do we have this information?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.