going out of business sale?

Old Mar 16, 20, 11:20 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Posts: 1,302
going out of business sale?

Been here, done that. Not that LifeMiles has anything to sell other than miles, but the prospect does exist for LifeMiles and Avianca to cease to exist in the not so distant future. Sitting here with hundreds of thousands of miles without a clue how to leverage the situation. Might consider speculative buying of a ticket to somewhere in a date well into the future but no clue if the airlines will continue to exists. Here and there I hear United Airlines would love to have Avianca but United isn't doing well either. The LifeMiles web site is working now so that is a good thing.
view-with-a-room is offline  
Old Mar 16, 20, 7:37 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Programs: Alaska
Posts: 1,092
if lifemiles is gone, your future ticket will not be honored.
QF ExLurker and Etheereal like this.
freed0m is offline  
Old Mar 16, 20, 10:52 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SYD
Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
Posts: 760
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room View Post
Been here, done that. Not that LifeMiles has anything to sell other than miles, but the prospect does exist for LifeMiles and Avianca to cease to exist in the not so distant future. Sitting here with hundreds of thousands of miles without a clue how to leverage the situation. Might consider speculative buying of a ticket to somewhere in a date well into the future but no clue if the airlines will continue to exists. Here and there I hear United Airlines would love to have Avianca but United isn't doing well either. The LifeMiles web site is working now so that is a good thing.
Maybe buy hotels or rental cars using miles.

Just now I tried to book a hotel in SYD using LM. I was taken to booking.com where I can earn LM but can't burn them. Maybe in the Americas it's possible to burn on hotels or rental cars.
QF ExLurker is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 1:03 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Posts: 2,975
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room View Post
Been here, done that. Not that LifeMiles has anything to sell other than miles, but the prospect does exist for LifeMiles and Avianca to cease to exist in the not so distant future. Sitting here with hundreds of thousands of miles without a clue how to leverage the situation. Might consider speculative buying of a ticket to somewhere in a date well into the future but no clue if the airlines will continue to exists. Here and there I hear United Airlines would love to have Avianca but United isn't doing well either. The LifeMiles web site is working now so that is a good thing.
basics of this mileage game.
dont sit on a big pile of miles (earn and burn at sustainable rates).
Best is to binge on some luxurious F class flights in the late summer or winter 2020. book them now.
keisari and vincewy like this.
Tokyoite is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 4:03 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SYD
Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
Posts: 760
Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
basics of this mileage game.
dont sit on a big pile of miles (earn and burn at sustainable rates).
Best is to binge on some luxurious F class flights in the late summer or winter 2020. book them now.
That advice assumes that the award tickets will honoured by the carrying airline if Avianca becomes bankrupt before the flight date.

IMO that assumption is wrong.
QF ExLurker is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 8:50 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 588
Why wouldn’t the tickets be honored if they are ticketed?

who would be the best airlines to use (based on ones that historically honored ticketed resv)? Lufthansa, United, Swiss, Ana, Singapore?

thanks
view-with-a-room likes this.
globaltrotter is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 10:21 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: London, UK and Southern France
Posts: 16,451
Originally Posted by globaltrotter View Post
Why wouldn’t the tickets be honored if they are ticketed?
because the airline providing the flight only gets paid once the passenger has flown and if, at that point, the airline issuing the ticket no longer exists or has no/insufficient money left, the carrier won't be paid and, since they know they won't be paid, they will therefore refuse to carry the passenger for free.
NickB is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 4:05 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SYD
Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
Posts: 760
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
because the airline providing the flight only gets paid once the passenger has flown and if, at that point, the airline issuing the ticket no longer exists or has no/insufficient money left, the carrier won't be paid and, since they know they won't be paid, they will therefore refuse to carry the passenger for free.
Exactly.

Now that's sorted, can I repeat my question.
Has anyone burned LM on hotels anywhere, e.g. in the Americas?
That might be a way of burning miles quickly even if you don't want to fly soon..
QF ExLurker is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 1:16 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: IHG Platinum
Posts: 540
Sigh. I’ve cashed in my last 78k miles for a J class ticket on ANA next January. Fingers crossed!
sleuth is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 11:40 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Posts: 1,302
Originally Posted by QF ExLurker View Post
Exactly.

Now that's sorted, can I repeat my question.
Has anyone burned LM on hotels anywhere, e.g. in the Americas?
That might be a way of burning miles quickly even if you don't want to fly soon..
The hotels have all shut down. Rhetorical.
RTWFF likes this.
view-with-a-room is offline  
Old Mar 21, 20, 12:43 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,780
I cancelled my Club Lifemiles purchases as a precaution. Fingers crossed they don't go under, but the Lifemiles program seems lucrative.
iluvdoco is offline  
Old Mar 25, 20, 4:48 am
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 91,416
I had already gotten my exposure to LifeMiles down to less than 10k miles a few months back on anticipation of there being problems ahead for this sector and the likelihood of US airline program balances being relatively safer than various non-US airline programs where I had (or sort of still have) substantial balances.

My biggest exposure to airline program balances are in the US, but the main US programs are relatively better positioned to make it out of this period than a lot of smaller carriers’ programs outside of the US.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Apr 20, 20, 2:35 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Gringolandia y LatinoAmerica a veces EU y Asia
Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Posts: 111
Si senor you are correct. I believe the US major balances are safer for many reasons including the unwillingness of the Federales to allow majors to go down and the mutual dependency of both the majors and their FFP on the big credit card providers. I do have some LM, a useful amount several hundred Ks plus some pending redeposits for cancelled flights LOL! Yes I do not know if these will be viable in the longer term as you say. I did not take strong risk reduction measures you did but still I have not been accumulating hard on LM for a year.

I used LM for my last flight, a short notice Asia-US redemption last month when I was in SIN... NH F. Who knows maybe the last time, at the least it was a good moment to use these LM in this way.
wijibintheair likes this.
ReinaDeLaSelva is offline  
Old Apr 20, 20, 5:59 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,990
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I had already gotten my exposure to LifeMiles down to less than 10k miles a few months back on anticipation of there being problems ahead for this sector and the likelihood of US airline program balances being relatively safer than various non-US airline programs where I had (or sort of still have) substantial balances.

My biggest exposure to airline program balances are in the US, but the main US programs are relatively better positioned to make it out of this period than a lot of smaller carriers’ programs outside of the US.
I was almost at that point... and then the trip I spent 70k or so LifeMiles on went to crap with visa withdrawals and forced quarantines (should I be so foolish to actually attempt this trip). Now I wait for possible cancellations. The Alaska miles I spent came back with no issue, Avianca is, well, Avianca. You get what you pay for with these guys.
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Apr 23, 20, 6:06 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: LHR
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by globaltrotter View Post

who would be the best airlines to use (based on ones that historically honored ticketed resv)? Lufthansa, United, Swiss, Ana, Singapore?

thanks
Do we have this information?
Blitzkrieg333 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: