Community
Wiki Posts
Search

going out of business sale?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 8:31 pm

Programs: Alaska
Only failed reorganisation leading to liquidation is worrisome. It can emerge from it as many US airlines have done in the past.

too premature to liquidate your miles now.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: NWA WorldPerks, UA Mileage Plus & CX Marco Polo
The question in these scenarios where the airline and FFP are owned separately is what happens to the miles if the airline does not survive. Without a air partner lifemiles are pretty worthless, especially for star alliance awards. I guess most likley scenario would be a new founded airline would buy the lifemiles program to use as their own.

I'm sure there are many programs like this but the other that comes to mind immediately is Air Canada and Aeroplan. Although Air Canada , not sure what would happen if they didn't.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
- JetPrivilige actually survived and now becomes InterMiles cashback despite Jet Airways bankruptcy.
- Topbonus however, did not although it actually survived for couple months. German market was just not viable and there is PayBack programme already.
- As for Lifemiles, it now depends on how many members it has and whether they can diversify their business like InterMiles or Aeroplan. I'd say for the next 1-2 months, Lifemiles is safe.
Old May 11, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ryanjudy
I'm sure there are many programs like this but the other that comes to mind immediately is Air Canada and Aeroplan. Although Air Canada , not sure what would happen if they didn't.
Actually, we have a pretty good idea of what Aeroplan would have become without Air Canada, since that was the initial plan when AC said it would create its own program. As I recall, Aeroplan started forming many partnerships that essentially made them an OTA and points would become something like Altitude Reserve points and CNB Crystal points.
Old May 11, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
Originally Posted by aaronts
You can't use them for gift cards on Amazon I tried multiple times about a week ago. I redeemed for Apple products on Amazon and now flipping on eBay to cash out. Even though the transaction has gone through on Amazon, now I am worried about a chargeback or something from the 'Lifemiles Credit Card' that the Iguana shopping program uses for Amazon purchases and it recharging my backup card.
Correct. I too messed up here. The Lifemiles Chrome plugin blocks most gift cards on the front end from redemption. Those that don't get blocked end up being in limbo then the order gets canceled (On Amazon's side, they are charging a Lifemiles Mastercard).

I also tried to stack the Discover 20% up to $50 off $250 with Lifemiles. The front-end seemed to work all right, with the 20% coupon and the 1 of Discover cashback both deducting, with the Pay with Miles button showing the post-coupon number of miles needed. In the end, Amazon tries to bill the Lifemiles mastercard for the pre-coupon amount (because you have to use a Discover card to use the Discover coupon), then the payment method fails out.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ryanjudy
The question in these scenarios where the airline and FFP are owned separately is what happens to the miles if the airline does not survive. Without a air partner lifemiles are pretty worthless, especially for star alliance awards. I guess most likley scenario would be a new founded airline would buy the lifemiles program to use as their own.
Or an established airline could buy the program and merge it into its own. Or a hotel could buy it to diversify. But, as has been said, it's likely moot since there's no indication that Avianca will liquidate rather than reorganize as numerous airlines have done before.
Old May 12, 2020, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by tr3k
So, tried to redeem the miles for an Amazon giftcard. As of now, miles have been subtracted but order has been hanging in the processing stage for about 1 hr. Hope I can get at least this much out of them.
Where is the amazon option on the lifemiles site?
Old May 12, 2020, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by erik123
You have to install a specific Chrome addon, and then go to Amazon using the Chrome browser to see this option at checkout.
Google "lifemiles amazon" and it will bring up the link to this addon.
Old May 12, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by erik123
https://www.lifemilesonlineshopping.com/
Old May 12, 2020, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Thanks. $0.05 per mile it seems. Could be worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.