Community
Wiki Posts
Search

going out of business sale?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/colom...154118487.html
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:08 pm

Too bad, I transferred 55K miles to LM a month ago (was not sure if they would refund me on time, but they did). I guess those miles are lost now
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
If Avianca stops operating, I will never join a foreign FF program again. Years ago, I joined Mexicana FF program, and few months later it switched alliances. Then shut down a couple years after that before I could even use the 6,000 or so miles I had in the account. AV is not my primary account, but I have plans to travel through South America, Australia and New Zealand next year. I chose AV over UA because I have friends based in Colombia and I knew I would be flying AV a lot.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:00 pm

Any advice for those of us sitting on a large stash of LM? It seems that booking an award trip will not hedge against the possible collapse of Avianca, because the partner airline will not honor the award booking if Avianca no longer exists at the time of the flight.

Just cross our fingers and hope United (or another company/airline) buys Lifemiles? Book hotels using LM?

Last edited by iluvdoco; Apr 25, 2020 at 4:14 pm
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Any advice for those of us sitting on a large stash of LM? It seems that booking an award trip will not hedge against the possible collapse of Avianca, because the partner airline will not honor the award booking if Avianca no longer exists at the time of the flight.
I don't know if we know for sure how each partner airline will handle a situation where a passenger has a ticket on the partner's flights that was issued by Avianca. My recollection is that when some airlines went out of business in the past, sometimes partners honored their tickets and sometimes not.

In my case, I was holding my stash intending to book LH F this summer or fall. LH F awards can only be booked by partners within two weeks of the flight, and this summer and fall seem iffy for international travel, and Avianca might or might not be around when travel on LH is feasible.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 7:37 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by tr3k
Too bad, I transferred 55K miles to LM a month ago (was not sure if they would refund me on time, but they did). I guess those miles are lost now
Don't be so pessimistic. The airline still has a decent shot at survival through bankruptcy, with government assistance. This is the flagship carrier of Colombia, so all hope is not lost.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
Don't be so pessimistic. The airline still has a decent shot at survival through bankruptcy, with government assistance. This is the flagship carrier of Colombia, so all hope is not lost.
I do hope someone bails them out. But wouldn't ff miles be the first liability to be written off in a bankruptcy?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by tr3k
I do hope someone bails them out. But wouldn't ff miles be the first liability to be written off in a bankruptcy?
lifemiles probably is the most profitable part of the airline. if the airline is smart, it should separate the ffp from the rest of business.

you can't just rebuild lifemiles out of the ash after writing it off. No one is going to purchase lifemiles after that.

If the airline is going to survive, the ffp will be intact. it makes the best business sense.
Old May 10, 2020, 1:38 pm

So, tried to redeem the miles for an Amazon giftcard. As of now, miles have been subtracted but order has been hanging in the processing stage for about 1 hr. Hope I can get at least this much out of them.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:14 pm

You can't use them for gift cards on Amazon I tried multiple times about a week ago. I redeemed for Apple products on Amazon and now flipping on eBay to cash out. Even though the transaction has gone through on Amazon, now I am worried about a chargeback or something from the 'Lifemiles Credit Card' that the Iguana shopping program uses for Amazon purchases and it recharging my backup card.
Old May 10, 2020, 4:32 pm

Email: "LifeMiles Remains Strong"

I received the following email today:

As Avianca Initiates Reorganization

Hi Anabolism,

I hope you and your family are staying safe and healthy as we all navigate today’s evolving global health environment. I’m reaching out to you today to reiterate what remains unchanged – LifeMiles’ commitment to you – as well as to provide an update on our continued partnership with Avianca.

As you can imagine, the COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact the travel industry, including airlines like Avianca. In light of these challenges, Avianca announced that it has initiated reorganization proceedings under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. This is an important step for Avianca as it works to preserve jobs, promote the economic recovery of its core markets, and maintain connectivity and operations to continue its 100-year legacy of connecting you to the places and people that you love.

It’s important for you to know that Avianca plans to continue honoring the LifeMiles loyalty program, and has extended its frequent flyers’ Elite status through January 2022. Members will continue to earn miles on Avianca flights as well as redeem LifeMiles for Avianca tickets, or for tickets with Star Alliance and other air partners, as normal. Avianca expects tickets redeemed with miles will continue to be exempt from change penalty fees until October 2020. You can find more information on Avianca’s announcement at www.aviancawillkeeponflying.com.

Please keep in mind that LifeMiles is a separate business from Avianca. Our company has a strong financial position and our assets are well insulated from Avianca’s reorganization process. This news does not affect your member status, your miles balance or how we do business together.

LifeMiles is operating as normal, supported by our strong and growing coalition of more than 550 commercial partners and loyal member base – so you can remain confident in the value of, and ability to redeem, your miles today, tomorrow and beyond. You can continue to earn miles through your everyday purchases by using your LifeMiles credit card, and by shopping in our broad network of partners, which includes premier hotels, major car rental companies, popular restaurants, and other commercial establishments such as gas stations, supermarkets and leading apparel brands.

In addition, the miles you’ve earned are safe, ready to be redeemed whenever you’re ready to live them to the fullest – LifeMiles will not expire any miles between April 1, 2020, and December 31, 2020. I’d also emphasize that every accrual of miles extends the validity of all miles in your account for at least 12 months more. In this way, the best way for you to protect your miles is to keep earning more!

Moving forward, we understand you may have questions, and encourage you to take a look at the FAQ we have posted at www.LifeMilesNews.com.

Importantly, I want to thank you for your continued support and loyalty to LifeMiles. Our team is monitoring the COVID-19 situation closely and will be sure to share any additional updates with you. In the meantime, take care, and I look forward to helping you live your next adventure soon.

Sincerely,
Matt Vincett
LifeMiles Chief Executive Officer
747_Brat likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Gold
Thanks mate for posting this.

Originally Posted by anabolism
I received the following email today:
Old May 10, 2020, 5:12 pm

Yep, order was hanging for a while, then got canceled (and my Amazon account blocked for 2 hours). Well, other than gift cards, I really don't need anything r/n. Not worth the hassle. Will leave the miles in place and just wait and see.
Old May 10, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Old May 10, 2020, 7:58 pm

I didn't realize that LifeMiles was a separate business from Avianca. I was also surprised that Avianca is reorganizing under U.S. bankruptcy law.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.